Winter Break

I absolutely love this time of year in the East Bay.

All of a sudden you take a second to stop and look around, and the hills have turned a florescent shade of green and the dirt has changed to a dark shade of brown.  It may be sticky, slippery and muddy at times, but it is so incredibly beautiful that it makes up for those moments where you are sliding around in quicksand like mud.  Even when you end up with that same mud all over you.

Dec 022

I was off of work for the holiday week, so I made sure to take advantage of my time off and explore my favorite East Bay parks.

Dec 025

The streams are full and there are lots of creeks to cross to rinse the mud off your shoes.  The water is cold but it’s so fun to run through the middle of a creek without thinking twice.

There are even waterfalls if you know where to go, or if you simply just follow your ears.

Dec 035

You can hear the water flowing for miles, then you turn a corner and a waterfall appears.

Dec 036

I explored some new trails and also took advantage of the familiar ones, as well as ran a couple races (race reports to come).

Everything looks so different right now it’s like I am running on new trails even though I spent hours upon hours on them over the last few months.

Dec 054

Just a short number of weeks ago the hills were brown and dry, it’s incredible how they change so quickly!

Dec 057

I am completely embracing this non-training plan time and love letting my routes be planned by where I want to go and what I want to see, instead of how many miles I am supposed to run.

Dec 067

It’s a good place to be to start another year, and I don’t see that perspective changing anytime in the near future.

, ,

10 Responses to Winter Break

1. Amanda January 1, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

Looks beautiful, nothing like beautiful weather and nice trails to make running fun!

2. Laura January 1, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

Hi there!

I love reading your blog and have been following for a few years now. I was checking the course info for Brazen’s New Years runs and saw a pic of you! I knew it was you instantly. Here is the link… you are a celebrity!

I did the 5k Saturday and Tuesday and figured you were out there too!

Laura

3. Abby January 1, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

I live in Berkeley and have not encountered trails like the ones in your pictures! But then again, I haven’t really ventured away from running my normal loops on the sidewalks either.

4. Morgan January 2, 2013 at 9:00 am #

You seriously need to frame some of these shots, so gorgeous! I think I would definitely be a trail runner if I lived in CA!

5. katie January 2, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

that first picture is breathtaking. wow.

6. Nicole January 2, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

Sounds like a perfect break! Your photos are always so beautiful – it makes me want to move up there just so I can run on those trails. Happy New Year!

7. Kristen January 3, 2013 at 8:38 am #

It really does look beautiful. I need to move…

8. Kim January 3, 2013 at 12:15 pm #

Such beautiful photos of such a beautiful part of the country!! Happy New Year :)

9. RoadBunner January 4, 2013 at 10:55 am #

I love this time of year when the hills green up. I was looking at them the other day and thought of you.

10. Christine January 10, 2013 at 4:55 am #

YOu have the best running pictures ever. I always feel I read the rave run in the runner’s world magazine!