Race Report: 2013 Brazen NYD Half Marathon

Lake Chabot this morning.
photo 1 (2)

I just got back from a beautiful morning run with Jess around Lake Chabot and realized that my race report from the New Years Day race around this lake was still sitting in draft form in Windows Live Writer.

So, before I get wrapped up in writing about my Mt. Diablo adventures from the last two weekends, it’s time I get caught up and post this race report already.

(from this morning)
photo 2 (2)

Last year I ended 2011 and started 2012 with back to back half marathons with Brazen Racing.  The races didn’t fall back to back this year, but I thought it would be fun to start the year off with a race again.  I talked Jessica into running with me, which was not a difficult task, and that was that, we were running on January 1st.  I will happily go to bed early on New Years Eve to get up and run early the next day.

We met at Lake Chabot on a chilly morning just like last year.  It was funny to think back to a year before, where I was just starting training for AR50 and thought it was so intense to be running back to back half marathons.  I love taking those moments to reflect on how things have changed and how different my running is now.

At the start I ran into a ton of friends I hadn’t seen in a long time, so it was fun to catch up while we shivered at the start.  I also hadn’t seen Jess since we spectated at CIM, so running 13 miles together was a great way to catch up.

NYD 001

Lake Chabot is a pretty runnable course, so even though neither one of us had been doing any intense trail running over the last month since North Face, we felt pretty good considering and ran almost the whole thing.  My legs were a little tired from the 30k two days before, but they hung on.

NYD 002

Nothing overly significant happened during the race, we just cruised through the miles enjoying each other’s company and talking non stop.  We stopped at a couple aid stations, I ate some M&Ms for the first time mid-race, we smiled for the cameras and talked about all the adventures we have coming up in 2013.  We have a lot of fun things planned and each time we run together, more plans seem to be made.

NYD 003

13.1 miles/2:20:48/1,877’ gain

It was a great kick off to another fun year of trail running, adventures and friends.

, ,

12 Responses to Race Report: 2013 Brazen NYD Half Marathon

1. Kayla Moothart January 21, 2013 at 12:05 pm #

Love the trail – the area looks so pretty!

2. Cathryn January 21, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

Thanks for this…I’m running a half at Lake Chabot in Feb so it was good to get a peek at the surfaces and get excited about the views.

3. Beth (@RunTraveler) January 21, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

Gorgeous photos! (And that sounds like a fantastic race.)

4. Kelly January 21, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

I never think of Chabot as that pretty, but then it looks cool in these pictures. I also didn’t know there was a trail race around it on New Year’s Day??

5. Christine January 21, 2013 at 5:11 pm #

You have the best pictures ever! This makes me want to move to SF!!!

6. Adam Heiser January 21, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

Great start to the year. Sounds like your birthday was fun too.

7. Joanne January 22, 2013 at 9:59 am #

Another beautiful, scenic run. You’re so lucky and your running is going well.

8. Susan - Nurse on the Run January 23, 2013 at 1:17 pm #

Whenever I see your pictures I wonder why I live in NYC…looks amazing!

9. Jess January 29, 2013 at 5:23 pm #

Absolutely beautiful. Congrats on another great race!

10. Kam March 19, 2014 at 1:15 pm #

Nice post. I used to bbe checking constantly this weblog and
    I am impressed! Extremely useful info specifically the closing phase :
    ) I take care of such information much. I used tto be looking for
    ths particular information forr a long time. Thank you and good luck.

11. arlington roof Installation March 28, 2014 at 11:36 pm #

Wonderful beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend our webb
    site, how could i subscribe for a blog site?
    The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had
    been a little bitt acquainted of this your broladcast offered bright clear concept