Giddy

During the last couple peak weeks of North Face training, I vowed that I would take a break from 50 milers and let myself just run for a while.  Instead of planning out trail runs based on distance, I wanted to plan runs specifically because there were trails I wanted to explore.  Instead of adding on miles after I was done running with friends, I wanted to run as far as my friends’ training plans called for or however far that day’s adventure would take us.  After recovery from North Face and a couple easy weeks getting back into it, I have been so excited and ready to go into my running with this as my plan.

So far 2013 has gone exactly according to plan.

It’s been a while since Chris and my schedules aligned for a run, but it finally happened on Friday where we were able to go explore the trails together.  As many times as I have been out to the Headlands in Marin, he hadn’t been there yet.  I was so excited to show him around some of the trails I have come to know so well and fallen in love with over the last year.

IMG_4049

It was a beautiful sunny day, and we were rewarded with incredible views of the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco.

On the SCA trail
IMG_4048

I still pinch myself that I get to run these trails pretty much whenever I want.

Jan 014

Saturday I had long standing plans with Jojo and Jessica to explore some of the trails on our ever-expanding list.  We had an idea of trails we wanted to run, a tentative route and a general range of how far our legs were capable of taking us that day.  We loaded up with water, fuel, maps and a camera, and were on our way.

It was a much different day out in the Headlands than the day before, but still so beautiful.

On the Dias Ridge trail
Jan 020

We had fun catching up, laughing and obviously running while winding our way through the hills.  We had some mishaps with trail closures, obstacles and changed routes, but that’s what makes these adventures more fun.

Jan 047

I really, really wanted to go run some of the trails on the original North Face 50 mile course that I didn’t get to run on race day, so that’s just what we did.  We found our way over to these new to us trails, and we were not disappointed.

Matt Davis trail
Jan 059

We wound through mossy tree covered trails complete with waterfalls and soft pine needles until eventually we were dropped out onto a trail that hugged the hills with ocean views going on forever.

Coastal trail above Stinson
IMG_4070

I was just so happy in this moment.  We were all overcome with the beauty that surrounded us and I was so happy to be out there on these beautiful trails with some of my best friends.

IMG_4077

Eventually we had to turn around and head back to our cars, but we are all already making plans to go back.  This was one of those runs where you just don’t even realize you are running, you are just out there exploring and craving more.

Running through Muir Woods
IMG_4093

This run gave us just a little taste of all the trails we still have to explore, and I am giddy with anticipation to get out there again.

, ,

16 Responses to Giddy

1. Paulette January 6, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

Such gorgeous photos! I need to go trail run in East Bay sometime soon, usually end up sticking to South Bay and the Peninsula. :)

2. Kait - @runkaitrun January 6, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

beautiful! i’m very jealous of you, those are some breathtaking pics :)

3. Lisa January 6, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

Sounds and looks heavenly!! I love reading about people who know what they need to do to recharge and then…well, they do it! No whining, no complaining…just do it.

Looking forward to tagging along and living vicariously thru you on those beautiful CA trails :)

4. RunInBoise January 6, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

That Muir Woods trail looks awesome!

5. Kayla Moothart January 6, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

Love the trails – it all looks so beautiful!

6. Jean January 6, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

Okay, Alaska’s beautiful and I love it and I brag unashamedly about it being better than anywhere else, but MY GOD, the places you run are beautiful. We just don’t have that many runnable miles up high like you do. And those trails look so very soft. So jealous!!

7. Kristen January 6, 2013 at 3:00 pm #

Absolutely beautiful. And I’m glad that it is clear from the way you write about it how lucky and grateful you feel to be able to run there regularly. Otherwise the rest of us might hate you :)

I bet Muir woods smells as beautiful as it looks…

8. Page January 6, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

Once again, your photos are stunning and I can literally hear how happy you are. It makes my heart smile.

9. Jen January 6, 2013 at 6:14 pm #

I’m going to bookmark this page so I remember to check out these trails — they’re gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. :)

10. Running LIbrarian January 6, 2013 at 6:18 pm #

What a beautiful place to run! I’m jealous!

11. Kate January 7, 2013 at 8:33 am #

I run that loop off Bobcat often, but never went onto SCA trail. Thanks for the tip!

12. Nicole January 8, 2013 at 10:49 am #

Every time I read your blog I understand more and more why you prefer trail running! Those trails are stunning!

13. Al January 8, 2013 at 11:20 am #

Those are some beautiful trails. You have helped show me that there is a silver lining in everything! Not finishing the race seemed like it caused your passion for trail running to reemerge with more force than before!

14. Cathryn January 8, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

Oh my word these look gorgeous!

15. Crystal@TheFastFitRunner January 9, 2013 at 9:28 am #

Those pictures are STUNNING! It makes me so jealous that we don’t have terrain like that anywhere near me!

16. Maria January 11, 2013 at 10:31 am #

Love the photos…especially the one with moss covered trees. I soooo want to run trails now!