50k

Wednesday I turned 50k years old.

Normally I don’t refer to my age in kilometers, but this year it seems appropriate.  To kick off the year of the 50k, I took a vacation day from work and headed to Marin with Chris to show him around Muir Woods and Mt. Tam.

It was another incredibly beautiful January day in the Bay Area.

Jan 126

We started in Muir Woods, made our way up Ben Johnson to Cardiac, where we took Dipsea down and Steep Ravine back up.

Jan 098

This section is full of stairs, bridges, more stairs, a ladder, and more stairs.  It is so green and lush, and just a fun trail to be on, which makes the stairs a little less painful.

Jan 101

Once back at the top of Steep Ravine, we took Matt Davis over to Coastal Trail.

Jan 103

The day was so clear with views going on forever.

Jan 108

I ran Matt Davis and Coastal for the first time a couple weeks ago with Jojo and Jessica, and couldn’t wait to get back to do some more exploring.  This was the perfect day for it.

Jan 119

Chris and I ran Coastal to Willow Camp Fire Road, and then navigated our way down to Cataract to Old Mine.  We were rewarded with some incredible views along the way, including my favorite, Mt. Diablo.

Jan 121

We made our way back through the redwood trees, and 14 miles and 3,300+ feet of elevation gain later we were back to Muir Woods.  We refueled with the best grilled cheese sandwich of my life, and with the amount of grilled cheese sandwiches I eat, that is saying a lot.

Jan 128a

It was a great way to celebrate a passing year, and kick off the year ahead.  There are so many more trails to explore and this is just the start to a great year of adventures.

, , , ,

11 Responses to 50k

1. Ericka @ The Sweet Life January 18, 2013 at 10:38 am #

amazing photos! I always love your photos but these are particularly awesome :) Yes, so much to come in the new year!

2. Amber January 18, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

Happy 50K birthday! I really hope I get to meet you in person this year in August :) That sounds like a perfect way to celebrate your birthday doing your favourite thing with your favourite person :)

3. Susan - Nurse on the Run January 18, 2013 at 3:52 pm #

Happy 50k birthday! What a great way to celebrate…those views are AMAZING.

4. XLMIC January 18, 2013 at 6:58 pm #

Happy, happy birthday, Aron! What a beautiful, fitting way to celebrate :)

5. Rene (@runrenerun) January 19, 2013 at 8:04 am #

Happy 50k birthday! Where is the cake?

6. Lisa January 19, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

Clever…:) And boy, those trails & views on your coast are gorgeous!

7. Christine January 20, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

Happy BIrthday!! No better way to celebrate your big day!!!

8. Joanne January 21, 2013 at 6:58 am #

A 50K birthday. Way to go. Hope it was one of the best. It sure looks like you spent it in a wonderful way. Happy belated. Good to see you running again and what a come back based on your last race. Way to go, Aron.

9. Nina January 21, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

Everytime I read your blog and see all those pictures, I feel like I just have to move to the Bay Area! Happy Birthday, Aron!

10. Naomi January 22, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

Now that’s my kind of birthday party! :)

1. Tour of Diablo | runner's rambles - January 24, 2013

[...] continue with my birthday celebrations, I tricked talked my fellow trail adventurers Jojo and Jessica into exploring my favorite Bay Area [...]