The North Face 50M: Weeks 16 & 17

Week 16 – Week of November 12th

The week I took taper to a whole new level.

Monday: rest
Tuesday: 7.4 mile trail run – happy my legs were still working after peak week
Wednesday: 18 mile trail run 5.2 mile road run

I had planned on getting my longest run of the week done before leaving for a mini-vacation (!) but I had a feeling it wasn’t going to happen.  It was just too close to the previous big weekend and I was tired.  I had a hard time getting out the door and when I finally did, I didn’t make it far.

The rest of the day was spent flying to Arizona and driving to Sedona!

Thursday: ~7 mile trail run with Chris
Friday: ~5 mile/3+ hour hike with Chris.

I am counting this sucker as time on my feet.  Being in high elevation (for this sea-level dweller) plus hiking 2,000’ up a mountain definitely has to count towards something!  It was the perfect day for this hike and I am so glad we went.  The views were incredible and it was so fun to explore somewhere new.

IMAZ 016 IMAZ 074Nov 002

Saturday: drive back to Tempe to meet up with our friends and get ready to spectate!
Sunday: Ironman Arizona spectating!  If any of you have ever spectated at an Ironman (or any event really) you know it’s pretty exhausting.  I thought about running, but it would have been running just to run, and would have been on a hot, flat, paved road that just didn’t sound enticing to me.

I sure missed my friend but that just means I will be even better at spectating an Ironman the next time around.

IMAZ 154 IMAZ 103IMAZ 336

Totals for Week 16
Miles: 25ish
Hours: 7ish (including hikes)

I think my body was very happy with this week.  I got a lot of sleep, was able to recover from 4 weeks of big training and was able to enjoy being with Chris and friends without being a freak about running.  It was so nice and I came back home extra excited for my last 2 weeks of training and really excited for December 1st.

Week 17 – Week of November 19th

photo (3)

Monday: 5.4 mile trail run.  Back from vacation, straight to the trails.
Tuesday: 8.1 mile road run
Wednesday: 7.1 mile road run
Thursday: 6.5 mile Thanksgiving trail run with Kristin!
Friday: 12 mile trail run
Saturday: 10 mile trail run
Sunday: rest (and wondered what on earth I do on the weekends when I am not training for an ultra).

Totals for Week 17
Miles: 49.1
Time: 8:26:09

And now it’s race week!  If you want to make taper go by really fast, go on vacation and then throw a holiday week in there while you are at it… it will fly by without any time for the taper crazies to appear.

This week I have 3 short runs planned, then the big one on Sunday!  I will probably do a goal post later in the week to wrap up this training cycle.  It’s been an incredibly fun, challenging and rewarding 18 weeks.

, , ,

12 Responses to The North Face 50M: Weeks 16 & 17

1. Elle November 26, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

I love Sedona. Such beautiful scenery.

2. Rachel November 26, 2012 at 10:33 pm #

Wow, Sedona looks incredible! And there’s nothing like the atmosphere at an Ironman, so cool you got to spectate!

It’s been amazing to follow along with you and see all the miles you’ve logged and the joy they’ve brought you. I’ll be out there Sunday to crew for a good friend of mine, and I hope to see you out there kicking some butt!

3. RunInBoise November 27, 2012 at 1:08 am #

I went and spectated IM Boise the last couple of years and its crazy that we can be there for hours watching so many people – that I don’t know – finish. It is quite the event.

4. shelly November 27, 2012 at 5:22 am #

Love your weekly recap. such great training. Sedona is amazing.

5. Nina November 27, 2012 at 5:28 am #

I enjoyed reading your weekly recaps. Good luck on Sunday!

6. Lisa November 27, 2012 at 11:53 am #

Its hard not to freak out when you have to zig when you had planned to zag, but you seem to keep it all in perspective :) I’ve never spectated at Ironman, but would love to someday.

I’ve been 3 wks post-ultra and I’m feeling incredibly lost without all the long runs!!!

You sound so ready to rock this race!!!

7. RoseRunner November 27, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

I adore Sedona — this is the best time of year to be there!! Good luck this weekend. Hope it stays dry or you have a few changes of clothing…

8. Liana@RunToMunch November 28, 2012 at 7:08 am #

Just read your Q&As and learned that you’re also a tax CPA!! Woot! Haha.

Question, what shoes and waterpack do you use? I’m running my first 50 miler in June and trying to figure out how to train through the winter season.

9. Holly November 28, 2012 at 11:27 am #

Good luck on Saturday! I will be thinking of you :)

10. Maria (Buttons Mom) November 28, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

Beautiful scenery! Thanks for sharing, and good luck on Saturday!

11. courtney November 28, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

race week is so exciting! can’t believe it’s here (already) so excited for you! && yes that hike totally counts as good time on your feet!

12. bomber jakcet women September 19, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

Love it! Very warm (pretty cold in Switzerland now). Light, great quality & great look too!I highly recommend it!