That’s A Wrap: TNF50 Training Recap & Goals

This morning I went on my last run of this training cycle.  A simple 4 mile run that went by so fast, kind of like this training cycle did.

Aug 001

18 weeks ago, I started training for my 2nd 50 miler.  I used a similar plan to my first one, but I purposefully made it a little more challenging for the extra challenging race I picked.  Going into these 18 weeks I had done quite a bit of trail running, but mostly in my safe zone with people who were more experienced than me on the trails.  This time I was challenging myself with a significant increase in trail running, while often alone, where I was going to be forced out of my comfort zone.

Aug 015

As the 18 weeks ticked by, I watched myself gain confidence on the trails, I learned to trust my instincts, grew to love and seek out hills, all while I really began to embrace the adventurous spirit that trail runners have.  Although the miles, the back to backs, and the double days were all very important, the number one thing I am most proud of this training cycle is the amount of trail running I did.  I let myself not be scared, I let myself explore and I truly fell in love with every aspect of being on the trails.

IMG_3011

Some Highlights…

• Over the last 18 weeks I ran 1,194 total miles
  • Over 600 of those miles were in long runs alone
  • Less than 30 of those 600 long run miles were on the road.
  • 16 of my long runs were 20 miles or longer

The Stats…

tnf50 stats

My Race Goals…

This weekend’s race has nothing to do with a number on the clock.  It is going to be an extremely challenging race, not only because of the mileage or 10,000+ feet of elevation gain, but also because of the conditions.  The Bay Area is getting hit with a bunch of storms that will leave the trails messy and could possibly even lead to a rerouted course if it gets bad enough.  It’s going to be a wet, muddy, crazy day, but it will be such an adventure.  Who knew back when I ran this 50k course while completely flooded and saturated during AR50 training that I was really going to be training for this weekend.

nov 003

I am so excited that I get to have Jojo by my side for the last 22 miles and am so incredibly grateful to her for deciding to run with mePage will once again be out on the course many times for me, providing support, encouragement and anything else I could possibly need (dry shoes and clothes).

My Goals…

• Fuel effectively, even when I don’t want to.
  • Run smart, even when I feel like being stupid.
  • Finish strong, most importantly with a smile.
  • Stay positive, even when the rain, wind, and muddy hills get hard.
  • Dig a little deeper, always knowing I can find a little more in me.
  • Don’t have to take 2 months off after.  Enough said.

photo 2

I have truly loved this training cycle and can’t wait to celebrate it all on Saturday doing exactly what I love to do, running around in the hills on a crazy adventure.

"Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying,
and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way.
Run often and run long, but never outrun your joy of running."
- Julie Isphording

, , ,

17 Responses to That’s A Wrap: TNF50 Training Recap & Goals

1. Beth November 29, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

Good luck this weekend!! I hope the forecast shifts, but we’ll certainly all be having an adventure running this weekend. Be safe out there and have a great time!

2. Jen November 29, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

No matter what happens this weekend, sounds like you’ve had an awesome training cycle! Good luck and have a safe race!

3. greengirlrunning November 29, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

You are going to have such an amazing race! I’ll be running CIM on Sunday in the rain, and after reading your post I think I can stop whining about that now :) A stormy 50 mile trail race is seriously hard core… you’re awesome! Can’t wait to read your recap!

4. Jean November 29, 2012 at 7:46 pm #

What an inspiration!!! Regardless of the conditions, I’m sure you’re going to rock it! Good luck.

5. Maureen M. November 29, 2012 at 8:36 pm #

Good luck! I can’t wait to hear all about it!

6. Lisa@RunningFitnessHealth November 29, 2012 at 10:44 pm #

Wow that’s a lot of running. Love the view of the trails! Best of luck to you!

7. alyssa November 30, 2012 at 1:01 am #

Love soooo much!

8. shelly November 30, 2012 at 5:46 am #

I think you will come out of this race loving it even more than the first. As you have trained you have become an excellent distance runner. This race will show you that you are now that special breed of runner. The kind that doesn’t count the number of steps it takes or watch minutes on a clock. You are now the kind of runner that truly loves running when it’s the draw of the challenge, the desire to embrace the discomfort and want more of it. You are now an ultra trail runner. Distance doesn’t matter. It’s conditions that count.

9. Joanne November 30, 2012 at 5:48 am #

Good luck. Your attitude and mental strength will get you to that finish line.

10. Marlene November 30, 2012 at 7:39 am #

Oh boy, sounds like you are in for an interesting, extra challenging weekend. Somehow, I know you will love every minute! Have the time of your life out there.

Congrats on another killer training cycle. It’s been amazing to see you grow into this ultra/trail runner. You are thriving!

11. Jonathan November 30, 2012 at 7:56 am #

Really great article. You have trained well. Believe in your training and enjoy the adventure of overcoming an incredibly difficult 50 miler. You will dig deep and it will mean all that much more to you because of it!

12. Nelly November 30, 2012 at 10:02 am #

That is some insane mileage. You have had an awesome training cycle. I hope the race goes okay – and that no one gets seriously injured due to the heavy rain out there. Also trail running when it’s raining is generally a bad idea since it messes up the trail. I just hope it goes okay out there.

13. shelly November 30, 2012 at 10:35 am #

Have a great race!!

14. Lisa November 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

I don’t know what I love most about this post!!! I’ll start from the end – LOVE that quote. It is just perfect.

And I love your positive outlook – including potentially facing a change in course, bad weather, tough conditions. Now that I’ve completed a 50 miler, I totally get the “digging deep” more than ever before. You sound so ready and capable. I’m excited to hear all about it.

Good luck with those conditions and have fun!!! You’re very inspiring.

15. Nicole December 3, 2012 at 11:43 am #

You are an inspiration!!! I can’t believe how many miles you got in during 18 weeks!

16. Cathryn December 3, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

I can’t believe only 30 of those miles were on road. That’s staggering! Can’t wait to read the recap…how did it go?

17. Law Practice Attorneys August 13, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

We’ve highly recommend this web site in order to my buddy, it’s so good