10,000

It’s no secret that I am a numbers freak.

Not only does my job revolve around numbers (CPA!), but I generally just love them when it comes to pretty much anything.  Obviously that includes running.

My running spreadsheet (yes I have a running spreadsheet) has columns of data with sums, sum if formulas and pivot tables.  I keep track of miles, time, elevation, and shoes to name a few things.  I love that when I started running back in February of 2008, I started tracking my miles because it’s fun to look back on, analyze and celebrate different achievements over time.

Today was literally one of those big milestones.

I got up as early as I could and set out for my 2nd long run of the weekend.  I was excited to run a point to point route with Chris’s help, so I explored a couple new trails that connect trails that I already know.  A little bit of new and a little bit of familiarity.  I ran along while the miles passed by, enjoying the alone time, and as always feeling so lucky I have access to the amazing trails that I do.

IMG_3049

I climbed, I descended, and I made my way around my favorite mountain.

IMG_3058

20+ hot miles later, I was tired, dirty and covered in sweaty salt, but so happy.

When I got home I plugged my numbers into my spreadsheet and looked at my overall total to find a fun surprise.

IMG_3066

I ran my 10,000th mile today!

I couldn’t have asked for a better run or a better place to run that mile.  Back in those first 1,000 miles I am sure I couldn’t have imagined that I would be running around mountains for my 10,000th, but I am so glad I found my way to where I am today.

15 Responses to 10,000

1. Page September 23, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

Wow – this is amazing. Not only the 10,000th mile, but the fact that you tracked it. Congratulations and here’s to many more miles to come!

2. Joanne September 23, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

Amazing! You’ve obviously progressed in the best way possible. It seems during all those 10000 miles you’ve only been burned out once and you’ve only suffered a really “run stopping” injury once. I have a feeling we’ll be celebrating your 20,000 mile sooner than those first 10 added up. :)

3. XLMIC September 23, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

Very cool! Congrats on such an amazing achievement!

4. Audrey September 23, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

Congrats on 10,000!! Amazing accomplishment. Here’s to 10,000 more . . .

5. greengirlrunning September 23, 2012 at 9:20 pm #

Awesome accomplishment! Congrats!

6. Celia September 23, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

Awesome congrats! I have a spreadsheet but I don’t have anything fancy like pivot table in it. Now you are making me curious!

7. Christine September 24, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

You are amazing!! 10,000 miles is a HUGE milestone. Congrats!!

8. Amanda @RunToTheFinish September 24, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

ohhh i haven’t ever added up the years…umm going to do that right now.

way to go!! your training is going so well, you bounced back quickly!

9. Sarah September 24, 2012 at 5:55 pm #

AWESOME job! I’d love to know more about how you log everything on excel, I’m a numbers girl as well and a beginner runner (just completed my first half-marathon!) and would really love some tips on how you keep track of everything. Thanks!

10. Layla September 25, 2012 at 9:05 am #

Wow, 10,000! I also started tracking my mileage in 2008, and you’ve run almost twice as many miles as me! That is a LOT of miles! Conratulations!

11. J September 26, 2012 at 10:02 am #

YAY! Congrats on your 10,000th mile! That is so awesome!

12. Nicole September 26, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

OMG I love this! I am also a CPA and I love numbers but I am not organized enough to track them all from the beginning of time. I do a really detailed excel spreadsheet for each race I’m training for but don’t consolidate them. So cool!

Congrats on 10,000 miles!!!

13. Ezen October 16, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

I think it’s super cute that you tracked it in a spreadsheet! Congratulations on your 10,000th mile! :D

Reading via the NuffnangX app.

14. Susan - Nurse on the Run October 17, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

Sorry for the SUPER belated comment..but I saw this and saved it for when I got back and could comment! When I was flying to Africa, I wondered if I had ever run as far as I was about fly. (Over 26,000 miles in total…) I don’t have my running statistics from pre-Garmin era, so I have NO idea. It’s so awesome to have a tracking from the very beginning, and it’s been fun watching/reading how far you’ve come!

Also, congrats to Chris!