It’s All Coming Back To Me

As my training continues to pick up for my 2nd 50 mile race, there are little (but highly important!) things I keep being reminded of that somehow escaped my brain over the last 5 months while not in training.  This past weekend I was especially reminded of a few of these habits and ideas that I relied upon so heavily during my first training cycle.  So what is the best way to make myself remember and stick to them?  Write them down!

DSC_5519

Real Food for Fuel

Since my runs haven’t been “that” long yet (long being relative), I have just been sticking to my standard fuel of Shot Bloks, water and salt caps on my longer runs of the week. In addition to those basics, I need to make sure to get my body used to eating real food during the run again.  This weekend’s race was a great intro back into it, but I need to start making sure to bring it with me as my runs get longer.

For my 1st 50 miler, I made sure to experiment with anything I could possibly think of that I might want on race day.  I had no idea what my body might want come race day after 8 hours of running, so I wanted to make sure I exposed it to anything I could think of.  This definitely paid off, because sure enough, race day came and my stomach didn’t want a lot of what I had been training with.

Going forward, I will start planning ahead and packing my PB sandwiches, Zbars, crackers, orange slices, or whatever I think sounds appetizing that day. It’s time to start practicing the very important fueling again!

WTC 005

Fuel for Tomorrow

It is really easy to head out for 12-14 miles and not think too much about it.  Now that I have back to back long runs again, I have to remind myself that in addition to fueling for today, I am more importantly fueling for tomorrow.

When you get dehydrated or depleted in day one, day two really sucks. Entering day two with tired legs and body is hard enough, but when you are already in a dehydrated state from inadequate fueling the day before, it makes it even harder.  I have been reminding myself to make sure to fuel today, so I will feel better tomorrow.

IMG_0956

Day Two

Speaking of Day two.  It’s been about 5 months since I have been in heavy training with big back to back weekends and I have forgotten some of the little things that grew to be a given for me.

This weekend I was reminded that on day two, I always start off stiff and slow and it can take a good 8+ miles to warm up to where I feel decent.  It’s great when that decent feeling arrives in a run, but I have to remind myself that the first part is hard and to not get frustrated.  It’s all part of the training process!

It’s so fun to re-remember all these things as I get back into training.  Although training for a race distance for the first time is always so much fun with the unknowns and excitement, it’s pretty fun this time around having some ideas of what to expect, and knowing areas of where I want to improve as well.

14 Responses to It’s All Coming Back To Me

1. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy August 30, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Yes, the rediscovery can be exciting all over again. Often in a tough training cycle, I notice that it will take about 30 minutes until my legs and body feel like “yes, this feels good.” whereas, if I had quit 20 min in I would have just thought “ugh, that run sucked. my legs were exhausted.” But often, pushing past that 30 min mark brings me to a happy place and my running zone. Magically, the legs and body aren’t as tired anymore.

2. The Runners Bug August 30, 2012 at 11:05 am #

This post hits home with me as I’m training for my first 50 miler and I’ve found I have a lot to learn about fueling for such a race. Thanks for reminding me about fueling for two days during the first day run!

3. Jamie August 30, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

Fueling is still so foreign to me. I still use the Gu’s and saltrock so it’s weird to think you need to eat real food for really long runs.

4. RoadBunner August 30, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Where are the goldfish crackers as fuel!?

• Aron August 31, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

I need to buy some! They are the best :)

5. Tia@RunnerMom August 30, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

Excited to follow your 2nd 50 miler training! I hope you continue feel strong and stay injury-free. :-)

6. Liz August 30, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

How do you rehydrate after running so much? Even after short runs, I feel like I’m guzzling water to the point where my coworkers think I have medical issues and I still feel dehydrated. Do you use sports drinks during recovery?

Also, I’m already loving hearing about your training! Can’t wait for the race report, of course :)

• Aron August 31, 2012 at 1:40 pm #

I don’t really use sports drinks, but occasionally will after long runs if I feel like I need it. Sometimes I drink Nuun or Gu brew during the work day just to change up the water and get some flavor/electrolytes.

7. shelly August 30, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

I’ve really been having a time of it trying to get my hydration down and I am only up to a 15 mile day! Today was to be closer to 10 – 12 miles but I turned around at my “usual” point because I knew I didn’t have enough fluids and I was sweating more heavily than I had yesterday. A few degrees warmer, a bit more humditiy, and a tired body really can make fueling a guessing game.

Keep up the great training. You make me want to follow a better “plan.” Not that I probably will but you make me want to. Just so I feel like I’m actually training for these ultras instead of just going out and running them. ;-)

• Aron August 31, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

YES! Sometimes it’s so hard to know, and I have just been telling myself to be extra prepared. Sometimes 12 miles doesn’t seem to warrant a lot of water, but sheesh I have had to refill my pack on a couple runs lately! Better to be safe than sorry right?

8. Siobhan McCarthy.ca August 31, 2012 at 7:45 am #

Fuel for tomorrow is such a great reminder! I should have a sticky note staring at me with those words on it everyday because somehow I occasionally forget this.

9. Nelly August 31, 2012 at 11:12 am #

Am I the only one that thought of the Celine Dion song when I saw the title of this post? lol

Crazy that just like a month or 2 ago you weren’t running, and now you are on your way to another 50 mile race. How things can change in an instant.

10. Aron August 31, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

Hah finally! That is what I was singing when I wrote this post – I should have included the now at the end of the title ;)

11. chandra September 2, 2012 at 9:53 am #

This is great for me to read/learn about as I’m just starting back to back “long” runs to train for the Disney Goofy Challenge. My runs aren’t nearly as long as yours (I think the most I’ll do is a 10 and then a 20 or 22), but it’s still such a new concept to me!

I did a horrible job of the “not only refueling from today but fueling for tomorrow” this weekend… and a horrible job at re-hydrating yesterday. Oops. Week one down, many lessons learned. :) Can’t wait to read more about your training and learn more from you as well!