It Starts With a Two

Long runs are 100% what made me fall in love with running.

All those years that I spent hating to run, I had just never gone far enough!

Of course then, one of the things I loved the most about training for AR50 was that I got to do two long runs in a row!  After my race I had visions of a summer where I would just run on the trails however far I wanted, which obviously meant many 20(+) milers, because those are simply my favorite runs.

Then my IT band got mad.  Then I had a to take a little break.  Then I had to build my miles back up.  Then I started training again.

Now looking back, it didn’t seem like it took that long, but in reality it’s been since March that I have done a long, 20(+) mile training run (if you don’t count AR50), which I think is a very long time!  Wow I have missed it.

I didn’t rush into it and have been patient while I built my miles back up the last couple months.  But inside I have been eagerly waiting for the day I was going out for a run that started with a 2.

Today it happened!

I met up with Jessica, Kristin and Jojo this morning in the foggy, windy Marin Headlands.  Kristin and Jojo wanted around 8 miles, so I planned two loops so we could maximize our time running with them.  8 miles turned into 9+ because when you’re trail running things happen sometimes and trails get closed and miles get added, but it’s ok.  That’s part of what makes trail running fun!  Jess and I said bye to them with 11ish miles to go and continued on our way.

That first 9 miles went by so fast and the next 12 would do the same.  When my Garmin beeped and said 18 miles I couldn’t believe we had already run that far.  It was just one of those days where time seems to stand still (in a very good way) while you are running.  There is really no other way to describe it.

This view will never, ever get old.Aug 016

21 miles and over 3,400’ of elevation gain later, we were back at our cars, both smiling ear to ear.

These are the runs I love.  This is why I love to train.

20+ miler, I have missed you very much.  It’s so, so good to be back.

, , ,

10 Responses to It Starts With a Two

1. Shauna @Pleasure, not Punishment August 31, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

Awwww! I love this post!

2. IDK My BFF Jes August 31, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

I really enjoyed this post!

I love the part where you talked about how you hated running all those years because you weren’t running far enough. It’s crazy to process these 20+ mile runs you go on.

I did a full marathon once, but that was a one and done situation for me. The half marathon is my true love.

I’m also coming back from injury, and it’s rough. Right now I don’t love running because I haven’t gotten back to 4 or 5 miles being ‘easy.’ But from past experiences I have realized that once I can get my 5 mile base back (I know that’s like baby distance compared to you!) then I really start to fall in love again.

3. Lisa August 31, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

Nice!! I too love my long runs. I could easily skip the little ones during the week if I could just do my longer weekend runs. Your excitement over getting back into the twenty-something-miles club is infectious. I will take that excitement w/ me on my 22′er tomorrow…..

Your Golden Gate Bridge views are spectacular!

• Aron September 3, 2012 at 7:00 pm #

Hope your 22 went great :)

4. Cathryn @ My Heart's Content August 31, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

I love long runs too, but I generally stop at 12 or 13…I did these kind of long ones when I did my one and only marathon, but I can’t work out how on earth I did them, these days! But there’s something lovely about running for a long time.

5. Jessica August 31, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

I had the best time EVER! First of many great runs that start with a ’2′! :)

6. Jessica Washburn August 31, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

Woo hoo for your recovery! I can’t imagine getting excited for a 20 miler…you’re my idol for sure. :)

7. Zaneta August 31, 2012 at 10:18 pm #

YAY!! That’w awesome!! So glad you finally got to run a distance that started with a 2!! ;)

1. Above the Clouds | runner's rambles - September 4, 2012

[...] Friday’s 21 miler, I was pretty tired, but I was very much looking forward to the long standing plans I had with Jojo [...]

2. The North Face 50M: Week 5 | runner's rambles - September 7, 2012

[...] My first run of training that started with a two! [...]