Here We Go Again

Taking time off of running forced me to take a step back and really think about what I wanted to do once I was healthy again.  More than once, I have fallen into a pattern and get sucked into the next thing without really taking a step back to decide if that’s what I really want to be doing with my running.  I wanted to make sure that didn’t happen this time.

DSC_0028

Just because I ran a 50 miler in April, doesn’t mean I have to do another one this year, let alone ever.  Just because I loved the long trail runs this spring, doesn’t mean I might want to hit the track again and see if I could find some speed in a marathon or a shorter distance.  Just because ultra training rediscovered my passion for running doesn’t mean that I might not want to go back to what I used to do with marathon training.

But yet, it kind of does.

DSC_0647

I thought a lot about what I missed the most during my couple weeks on the sidelines.  I missed the long runs.  I missed the dirt.  I missed the hills.  I missed the back to back long runs.  I missed everything about ultra training the most.

So now I will finally start saying yes I know what is next.  Yes I am signed up for another big race.  Yes I am going to do it again.

2029-undefined
(source

December 1st, Marin Headlands, North Face Endurance Challenge 50 miler.

I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do this race or not, but a few weeks ago when emails started flying around that it was going to sell out soon, I couldn’t let that happen without me being one of those people.  Since then I have been so excited thinking about training and the awesome adventure that will come on race day.

I will continue to build a strong base during July, then training will start again sometime in August.  This is going to be a whole different ballgame when it comes to a 50 miler.  The course is drastically different than American River 50 with all trails and a lot of climbing.  It’s going to be so fun.

145 days!

, , , ,

26 Responses to Here We Go Again

1. Page July 9, 2012 at 9:10 am #

ARON!!!! Why are we BFFs but you didn’t tell me?!?!?! I am coming over to your house tonight and we are going to have to have a talk about this! ;)

Super excited for you and you better believe I’ll be there cheering and crewing for you along the way!

Congrats!!!

2. Liz July 9, 2012 at 9:11 am #

So exciting!! Can’t wait to hear about training! I can’t imagine a more beautiful area for an ultra and I’m sure all trails and great views won’t disappoint. Good luck!

3. Jojo July 9, 2012 at 9:18 am #

Yes!!!! Can’t wait for more trail adventures together in the fall <3

4. Renee July 9, 2012 at 9:20 am #

You’re a great runner, Aron — can’t wait for posts on the training cycle!

5. shelly July 9, 2012 at 10:00 am #

Woohooo! Sounds like a great challenge. I’m sure you willl make it another amazing adventure.

6. Sandy July 9, 2012 at 10:03 am #

Wow! You are amazing! Enjoy it now that you are back!!

7. Kaprise July 9, 2012 at 10:23 am #

Yay!! I’m so excited to read about your adventures!! You’re going to be awesome!

8. Krissy July 9, 2012 at 10:30 am #

I am looking forward to following you in another journey!!!! I completed my first 26.2 a few weeks before your first Ultra and I loved the inspiration and your attitude towards running!!! It will be hard to follow from the sidelines this time….I got pregnant with baby #2 the month after my marathon, so running is taking a back seat this year. But I figure I have the rest of my life to run after that, and I hope to see another marathon (and maybe even an Ultra one day)! Good luck with your training! I am sure you will rock it!!!!

9. Kashi @Cape Island Runners July 9, 2012 at 11:55 am #

Super exciting! After my 50 a few months ago, I am going to do a fall full…after that, who knows! Looking forward to following your adventures this time around!

10. katie July 9, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

BOOOM!

(look for a similarly-themed post from me in about a week. we are junkies!)

11. Morgan July 9, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

For some reason, this announcement didn’t surprise me at all. I could tell the whole time you were ultra training that it captured your heart. Looking forward to seeing how the next 50 miles go!!!

P.S. I seriously wish you could hear Spike when he gets home from the trails… he is def not a fan… LOL!

12. Stuart July 9, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

I have heard this is a fun and hard race…have fun and train hard!

13. The Blonde July 9, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

Yippee!!! I knew it!!! ;)

14. Kristen July 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

Exciting!! Have fun with the training!

15. Lisa (mom to marathon) July 9, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

You are an inspiration. I am looking forward to following your training.

16. Christine July 9, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

Soo exciting! I knew you would be doing a trails race again, I was thinking you might do a 100 miler! :) I did the North Face Endurance Challenge in DC and LOVED it, great race series!!

17. emily July 9, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

SO EXCITED FOR YOU! I loved following your training for your first 50 and I’m sure this one will be even more amazing, if that’s even possible. It’s great when you have that epiphany about what exactly you want from running (I’m still waiting for mine-feel free to send me some cross country MoJo). Woohooo!

18. Emma July 9, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

That’s going to be a gorgeous race! Enjoy the journey!!

19. Geoff Moore July 9, 2012 at 9:25 pm #

The training may be the best part. Go for it!

20. Meet Me AT The Finishline July 10, 2012 at 5:05 am #

Yay! That is one I so wish I could afford to do! I fell in love with 50 too and just couldn’t imagine doing anything less. Ultrarunning=addiction! Can’t wait to hear how your training goes! I love the training aspect. I know I am looking forward to all of my 40+ mile long runs too :) Good luck and that one looks beautiful. Must get out to the bay area for a race ASAP.

21. Marlene July 10, 2012 at 7:24 am #

That last line (all trails, lots of climbing = fun) says it all. Congrats on finding your next big goal! Can’t wait to follow along, of course. :D

22. Kristy@RunTheLongRoad July 10, 2012 at 7:36 am #

this race is at the TOP of my list when i get to 50-milers!!!! so excited for you!

23. Nelly July 10, 2012 at 9:28 am #

This doesn’t surprise me at all, seems like you really enjoyed trail and ultra training, only a matter of time until you go for a 100 miler I bet!

24. Rachel July 11, 2012 at 12:14 am #

so awesome! i’ll be out there doing the 50k. would love to check out some of the course with you in the coming months!

25. RoadBunner July 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

Was there ever a question which way you were going to lean after your first 50 miler? :) I’m excited for you! I’m happy you are running a goal race on 12/1 because that means all your countdowns are going to remind me of my wedding day.

1. Back to Base: Week 3 | runner's rambles - July 10, 2012

[...] Another strong base week on the books gearing up for North Face 50 training! [...]