Back to Base: Week 4

After 3 weeks of increasing long runs and increasing total mileage, I decided to take a cut back by cutting my long run by a good chunk and taking down my overall mileage just a tad.  With real training just around the corner, I knew it was a good time to take advantage of a down week.

Monday
5 mile run

Easy solo morning run to start the week.  I used to always take Monday as a rest day but I have been enjoying running on Mondays the last few weeks.

5 miles @ 9:40 avg

Tuesday
8 mile run

Run with the work crew!  We took our hillier route.  Even my road runs were hilly this week!

8 miles @ 9:22 avg

Wednesday
6 mile trail run

Early morning trail run with my new trail buddy.  There is nothing like watching the sun come up behind the mountain to start the day.

6.4 miles @ 11:21 avg, 900’ gain

Thursday
9 mile run

The weather has been really weird here.  Wednesday was grossly warm (my car said 108) which made Thursday morning much warmer than our lovely pleasant summer of late.  It was a sweaty, hilly road run and ended up being my “long” run for the week.  We went out for 10 but were back at the cars at 9.4 and called it a run.

9.4 miles @ 9:51 avg

photo (9)

Friday
8 mile trail run

After the warm morning on Thursday, I was happily greeted with a ton of fog in the hills… the weather weirdness continues.  This was a great run, just zoning out enjoying the morning, the dirt and most definitely the fog.

8 miles @ 10:21, 892’ gain

Saturday
6 mile run

Chris’s birthday!  I slept in, we ran errands, had lunch, took naps, did chores, and ended up going out for a run pretty late.  You know 7pm runs on a Saturday night on your birthday… totally the cool kid thing to do.

6.4 miles @ 9:28 avg

Vineman012

Sunday
rest

If you call spectating a triathlon all day rest, then sure, it was rest.

Total miles for the week: 43.2

Only 2 more weeks of base building to go before I break out the training plan for North Face 50!  Cannot wait.

, ,

7 Responses to Back to Base: Week 4

1. Rena July 19, 2012 at 9:14 am #

Looks like a great week! I still find it awesome that you can go to run with your coworkers before work and then come in for work. How awesome is that!

2. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy July 19, 2012 at 9:59 am #

I’m always impressed with your distance pre work on a weekday! ANd beautiful scenery too. Makes me think maybe SF area isn’t as “city” as I once thought. Well, this last trip to San Rafael area for my brother’s wedding definitely showed a more picturesque view of that part of California. I guess I had visited the city predominantly during my visits so I didn’t see SF as having places to hike and explore the great outdoors nearby.

My friend Lindsey from Eugene raced Vineman and had a great time!

3. greengirlrunning July 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

The Bay Area weather has been so nutty! But isn’t the cool fog such a relief?! Excited to follow your next ultra training cycle!

4. Emma July 19, 2012 at 7:49 pm #

Awesome week of training! And yeah, it was so hot the middle of last week… good thing it cooled off! Also, where was that trail in the Friday picture? It looks gorgeous!

5. Ivanna July 22, 2012 at 10:09 am #

Woman’s health is a virtue Weight loss

6. Sassafras July 22, 2012 at 11:55 am #

Looks like a great week! I can’t wait to see your training plan for North Face. I am in that “maybe an ultra someday” camp, but your posts definitely make me want to take the plunge sooner rather than later.

7. Megan @ RunningAimlessly July 25, 2012 at 8:10 am #

Thanks for posting all your training. I followed you through AR50 and the training looked intense! I just did TRT50 with some mediocre training and it was a rough one. I’m contemplating doing the North Face 50 as well and hope you don’t mind if I use you as guideline! You’ve been a great inspiration to me! It’s hard to believe you just started doing ultras :)