Back to Base: Week 3

This was pretty much the best week ever for one reason: so much trail running

5 out of 6 of my runs were done on trails.  4 out of 5 of those runs were in different parks.  It was so great!  I wish every week had this much trail running.  I am going to try to make it happen more often, especially this time of year with all the daylight.  I need to take advantage of it!

Monday
4 mile trail run

I met up with a friend for our first run together… and on Mt. Diablo!  Monday mornings can be a little rough sometimes, but I was so happy to start the week off with a trail run with a new friend.

4.4 miles @ 12:20, 587 elevation gain

Tuesday
6 mile run

Road run with the work crew.

6.5 miles @ 9:29 avg

photo 1 (5)

Wednesday
5 mile trail run

4th of July!  After a lazyyyy day, Chris and I got out for a run in the late afternoon.  It was pretty warm out but we went and ran some new to us trails and it was fun to explore.

4.8 miles @ 11:42, 842 elevation gain

Thursday
8 mile trail run

I had the rest of the week off, so I took advantage of my extra time and hit the trails.  I headed out late morning so it was warm again, but I had so much fun zoning out on the trails by myself.  This route had tons of single track, which makes this girl very happy.

8.1 miles @ 10:52 avg, 1071 elevation gain

photo 3 (3)

Friday
16 mile trail run

Jojo and my schedules FINALLY lined up for a long run in the hills.  We hadn’t run trails together since she paced me at AR50 and that was way too long ago.  It was so, so great to be back out there chatting away about anything and everything, especially making all kinds of running plans.  It was super foggy in the Headlands so we couldn’t see much at all, but it was such a nice change from the warm sun I have in the East Bay.  We took the hills easy and just cruised around, so happy to be back running together.

15.6 miles @ 13:14 avg, 2938 elevation gain

Saturday
rest

Finally took a much needed rest day.

photo 4 (3)

Sunday
6 mile trail run

Chris and I headed out to Shell Ridge for a trail run.  Chris usually runs ahead so I get to zone out on my own.  I had my music in and felt fantastic.

6.5 miles @ 10:32 avg, ~900 elevation gain

Total miles for the week: 45.9

Another strong base week on the books gearing up for North Face 50 training!

**I have been getting a lot of questions about trail running lately (how to find runs, safety, etc) so I am putting together a post on some basics.  Let me know if you have any other questions you want me to address!

, , , ,

10 Responses to Back to Base: Week 3

1. Emma July 10, 2012 at 9:24 pm #

Mt. Diablo is so gorgeous! I was there last weekend and hiked the whole thing; I really wanted to run down but didn’t want to get separated from the people I was with. Being able to run the whole thing, up and down, is now on my bucket list!

2. Kashi @Cape Island Runners July 11, 2012 at 10:43 am #

those pics look gorgeous! my husband and i are coming out to the northwest for vacation next month and i am looking forward to trying some trails!

3. Wendy July 11, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

Great pictures! Looks awesome! I don’t run trails very often, but I love doing it when I can.

4. Beth July 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

Oh my gosh, what a gorgeous place to run! (And nice job with the photos.) I think if I had that kind of scenery I’d find it hard to keep running instead of just stopping to stare.

Congrats on your solid week of training!

5. Lindsey July 11, 2012 at 7:14 pm #

I am so jealous of all of the gorgeous trails you have in your area! I just got into trail running and I love it, so I do have a question for you. I’ve got a half marathon coming up in October. My training plan starts in 2 weeks, and I don’t want to give up my trail runs when it starts, so I’m wondering how do you integrate trail running into your training for a road race? My trail paces are slower but I definitely don’t consider them “easy” runs as I tend to be much more sore after the trails than a road run. Any thoughts would be really helpful!

6. Katie July 11, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

Just wanted you to know ive enjoyed reading your blog. Your passion for the sport is obvious! Thanks!

7. Beth (i run like a girl) July 15, 2012 at 8:11 am #

Gorgeous photos! Makes me want to head for the hills… (which means road trip – there are no hills like that in FL!) ;-)

8. Claire July 15, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

I’d love a post specifically for Bay Area runners! I’d like to get more into trail running, but I don’t know where to start. It could also be a good reference for any out-of-staters coming here on vacation!

9. Cathryn @ My Heart's Content July 15, 2012 at 10:19 pm #

I’d really like to know your thoughts on safety. I’d love to run some trails but am really nervous of being attacked by mountain lions, serial killers, squirrels and roots :) You get my drift…how do you stay safe trail running? And do you FEEL safe or are you waiting for the mass murderer/lion/bear etc to step out from behind the tree?

I’m joking in the words I use but not in the question. Can’t wait to read the post.

10. Kristen July 16, 2012 at 5:46 am #

I’m with everyone on safety. For how gorgeous those photos are, all I can see is rattlesnakes, coyotes and mountain lions. Since moving to the east coast I’ve found that all I need to worry about is a stray armadillo now and then!