Worth It

Things have been quiet over in my little corner of blogland lately, and not for lack of things to talk about.  Running is going very well (running posts to return soon!) and life has been great, but I have been focusing on enjoying and living life without being so attached to a computer, for very good reason.

Last April I wrote about Chris taking a big leap of faith by quitting a job he was miserable in to pursue what he hoped to be an eventual career as a firefighter.  He had been taking the steps to get there for over 9 months when I wrote that post over a year ago and we had no idea when that day might happen.

Since then he hasn’t stopped.  He has gone through step after step, including going to paramedic school, taking more fire classes, and doing an internship in a hospital ER to name just a few.  He has been incredibly busy, hardworking, dedicated and persistent, and constantly left me in awe with everything he was doing.

Over the last couple months, he started the intense job application process with a fire department in the Bay Area.  I have never seen anyone put so much effort into getting a job.  But it all paid off, because he got it!  He starts the fire academy with his new fire department today and I could not be more proud of him.

photo 5

We have been using the last month, before things get insanely busy in our household again, to hang out and enjoy all this extra time together.  After a crazy two years, it’s been so great to have this time.

We even celebrated our 7th (!!) wedding anniversary a week ago today.  It’s been fun to reminisce about all the changes over the last 7 years, looking back on who we used to be and seeing who we have become.

photo 7

The hard work has only just begun, but today is the start of new chapter for us and I am so excited it’s here!  All the sacrifices, all the hard work, it’s all worth it today.

24 Responses to Worth It

1. Jamie in Arkansas June 25, 2012 at 6:13 am #

Congrats Aron! So happy for you guys. Nothing better than hanging out with your husband if you ask me! :)

2. Kris June 25, 2012 at 6:37 am #

Congrats to Chris on the new job and Happy Anniversary!!

3. Siobhan @ SiobhanMcCarthy.ca June 25, 2012 at 6:38 am #

I love posts like this! They are so inspiring and just make me happy. Congrats to Chris on taking the leap and being so successful at it! And Happy Anniversary to the both of you!

4. Abby @ Change of Pace June 25, 2012 at 6:49 am #

Congratulations to Chris! That is great he successfully to a leap of faith. It’s good inspiration for others wanting to do the same!

5. Lynette June 25, 2012 at 6:49 am #

We couldn’t be prouder of the two of you…both with your career choices and changes, and Happy Anniversary! You have both come so far in this first 7 years of your marriage…can’t wait to see what the future holds for you! Hugs!

6. heather June 25, 2012 at 7:18 am #

Congrats to your husband! Lots of exciting things going on for you guys.

7. Kait - @runkaitrun June 25, 2012 at 8:17 am #

that’s freaking awesome – I’m all about pursuing dreams and going after things you’re passionate about. Glad to hear his hard work has paid off, congrats!

8. Kristen June 25, 2012 at 8:47 am #

Congrats to you both! All that hard work makes it so much sweeter in end. That is so awesome for him. Happy {belated} Anniversary! It is crazy too see where life has taken us over the past 7 years.

9. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy June 25, 2012 at 8:54 am #

Congrats to Chris! And that’s awesome that you guys have prioritized some time together. I know we could use to do that more often. It’s just so easy to fall into a routine and not make sure we’re fitting in quality time. We are heading on a road trip to California this week for my brother’s wedding in San Rafael so I’m looking forward to some car time and chatting and then the wedding festivities.

10. XLMIC June 25, 2012 at 8:56 am #

Congrats to Chris! and Happy Anniversary to you both :)

11. greengirlrunning June 25, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Congratulations! That is a HUGE accomplishment! I know someone who tried for YEARS to get a job with a fire dept in Marin. So awesome that Chris got the job! Happy anniversary :)

12. Morgan June 25, 2012 at 11:56 am #

That is great news! Congrats to your little family that all that hard work has paid off! Cheers to the next chapter!

13. Michelle June 25, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

Yay! Congrats to Chris — and happy anniversary to the both of you.

14. Fair Weather Runner June 25, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

good for you, this is awesome. and congrats to chris! enjoying life is so incredibly important and good. anything in internet world can just plain wait, in my opinion. soak it up. enjoy!

15. Kamaile June 25, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

Very cool, I admire firefighters so much and anyone that puts their life on the line to save others. Congratulations both of you on your anniversary. Looking forward to your running post, glad to hear it’s going so well Aron!

16. Barbie June 25, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

Congrats to Chris – what an exciting time for both him and you and you both as a couple!! I wish him nothing but the best and lots and lots of safety!!

17. Marlene June 25, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

So super duper happy for you guys! Congratulations!!!!!!!

18. Teri [a foodie stays fit] June 26, 2012 at 3:46 am #

Congratulations to you both! I’ve also quit a miserable job and gotten a great job later. I don’t know what’s the better feeling: the day you leave the terrible job or the day you realize you have a great job!

19. Rachel June 26, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

congrats to Chris, what a huge accomplishment! and happy belated anniversary. so cool that both of you had the courage to pursue new, fulfilling careers.

20. Sandy July 2, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

Congratulations to your husband! That is an amazing career for him!!

21. katie July 9, 2012 at 7:29 am #

happy anni! and yeahhh chris!

22. Kyle August 7, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

That is awesome!!! I remember when I got the call, the academy, and the day I finally got my badge. What department did he get hired with?

1. Back to Base | runner's rambles - June 26, 2012

[...] Day weekend and ended up staying Sunday night in Pismo Beach to celebrate our anniversary and the other exciting things going on in our lives.  We woke up Monday morning and headed out for a 7 miler along the [...]

2. June… and I Guess May | runner's rambles - July 1, 2012