Scenes From the Trails

I haven’t done a whole lot of updating about each specific run in a while since they all have mostly been short and sweet injury recovery runs and aren’t very exciting.  But there have been a few great trail runs thrown in the mix that I have to share with you guys, because obviously these are my favorites.

During the last week of May I took some vacation days to spend time with Chris and recharge.  It’s been a busy year for both of us and it was great to have some time together… which of course included some runs!

During that week, we went out on our favorite Diablo loop for the first time in what felt like forever.  The last time we ran this loop together the grass was green and the streams were flowing.  The scenery was much different this time!

photo 1

This run was still early in my IT band recovery so I was really cautious and was nervous about getting lured in by the trails and going too far.  Even though it was tough and I was huffing and puffing, I was so happy to be back out on my favorite run.

photo 2

This is just a glimpse of how quickly the landscape has changed.  Early April on the top vs. late May on the bottom.

photo 4

Later in the week we drove up the coast and spent a couple days in Mendocino.  I have lived in California my whole life but have never done this drive up Highway 1!

I wasn’t disappointed.

May 004

We stayed at this great place called the Stanford Inn.  It was really quiet and so beautiful.

May 011

All the rooms had balconies and fireplaces and it would have been an extremely relaxing two days except that Kylie and Emma decided to put a kink in our relaxing plans by escaping the house they were staying at.  What was supposed to be a day of sleeping in, running, relaxing and eating, turned into a day of sitting in the car for 5 hours round trip to bail them out of jail and make sure they wouldn’t get out again.

They look rather pleased with their little endeavor don’t you think?

photo 5

Thankfully both of them were fine and nothing terrible happened besides all the driving and worrying.  We were still able to get in a great run along the Big River in Mendocino the next day, including a side trip up into the redwood forest.

My favorite trail runs are through big trees where the ground is so soft with pine needles it feels like you are running on clouds.  This was one of those places.

photo 1

It was a beautiful run, the longest run I had been on in a while (8 miles!), and worth all the hassle (and driving!) we went through those couple days.

photo 2

This past weekend Chris and I headed to Tilden Park to change things up a bit from our standard Diablo route.  We have run this park one time previously together and I ran through it on a very long run earlier this year, but we took some different trails this time.  Sometimes taking new routes can be a little bit frustrating when you are constantly having to check the map, but it pretty much always ends up being worth it.

photo 1

This time was no different.

photo 2

Another 8 miles on the trail closer to being back to normal.  I am continuing to relish every pain free mile, especially the ones on the dirt.  It’s so good to be back.

15 Responses to Scenes From the Trails

1. Jen June 11, 2012 at 10:03 pm #

My boyfriend and I went up to Mendocino last year and we loved it! So gorgeous. Also, I’d have to agree with you – trail runs are the best, even if they can be really challenging at times.

2. Paulette @paulettezf June 11, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

Gorgeous photos, I’m jealous of the running scenery! This is a place to add to my travel list.

3. Abby @ Change of Pace June 12, 2012 at 6:52 am #

Those photos are beautiful! And that’s funny about Kylie and Emma; I’m glad everything was ok!
    Thanks for the review on Mendocino! We’re hoping to go on a road trip down the California coast this year and are trying to narrow down places to stay. Everywhere looks amazing!

4. Joanne June 12, 2012 at 7:56 am #

Beautiful trails and what a drive! So lucky! Every time we visit California I want to stay forever.
    Poor Emma and Kylie. What an ordeal. So glad you got them out.

5. katie June 12, 2012 at 8:16 am #

those little STINKERS!

6. Audrey June 12, 2012 at 9:59 am #

These pictures are beautiful! Almost makes me want to leave LA and move back up to the Bay Area . . . almost!

7. Kashi @Cape Island Runners June 12, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

Gosh, those trails are gorgeous! My hisband and I are heading to Washington and BC this summer and I am def going to find some trails to run on!

Glad to hear your recovery is still going well! Yay!

8. Naomi June 12, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

Such beautiful places to run – no wonder you love it! How do you deem a new trail “safe”, especially when you are out running solo? The trails on my side of the Bay all have mountain lion warnings at the entrances, which then I get paranoid about during the entire run. Any advice on how handle encounters with wild animals and such on trails?

9. RoadBunner June 12, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

Sounds like you had a great vacation. I’m super happy you are back out on your beloved trails. A pain-free 8 miler sounds like a triumphant return to me.

p.s. I LOVE how happy E & K look in their mug shots :)

10. Marlene June 14, 2012 at 10:52 am #

I still can’t get over Kylie & Emma’s great escape! Those little rascals… so happy they were okay and that you salvaged your little getaway.

Sounds like lots of great QT with the trails AND Chris. Live it up!

11. Christine June 17, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

Beautiful pictures and glad you got your doggies back! I can only imagine how much you were worried!

12. Laura June 18, 2012 at 4:35 am #

You’re trail runs look AMAZING. I can’t wait to get back to being active (only 15 more days before I get this pesky broken foot re-xrayed.). I really think I’m going to mix it up this time. I want to get a bike and think I’m going to do a lot more trail running (the soft ground is just SO much better on my body…..and I only just turned 25).

13. Travel Spot June 18, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

Beautiful trail runs! I love Mendocino. And Berkeley! I think that I often get lost when I am trying a new trail run, but you are right: it is always worth it! And I always tell myself that as long as I get the miles in, it doesn’t matter where I end up (unless it makes the run A LOT longer!)

14. Kirsten June 19, 2012 at 11:35 pm #

I can’t believe they ran off and got picked up!!! You must have been freaking out! Glad you had a nice getaway with your hubby :)

15. Jesse N. June 21, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

Looks like a fantastic place to run!
    (and I think I’d give myself an ulcer if our dogs ever got out when I wasn’t around! Glad they’re ok)