With A Little Help…

So apparently I took a little blogging break.  I guess I was following the motto “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all” hence nothing at all on the blog.

After my last post where I wrote about all the progress I had made mentally with this injury, I was in pretty good spirits… until the weekend came.  Pretty much all of 2012 so far, my weekends have been spent prepping for, recovering from, or refueling for long runs.  I had gotten quite used to my weekends being consumed by running and loved that about them.  So when Friday night arrived and I sat at home, I was most definitely wishing that I was prepping for a run the next day.  It didn’t even matter the distance at that point, I just wanted to run!  Instead I sat there in a very sad defeated state.  This continued for most of the weekend.

I knew I was going to be sad and miss running, but after a few days in a funk, feeling completely unmotivated to do anything, I knew it was time to turn things around.  So I enlisted some help from the best resources I know of.

… From My Friends

Last Sunday, when I was in the middle of pout central, a bunch of the Bay Area bloggers had planned to meet up at the lululemon Walnut Creek anniversary run!  I was so excited to see so many of my friends, but I will admit that it stung a lot little when they all ran off and I had to stay behind.

lulu1

We did have a fun brunch to look forward to afterwards and it was so great to see so many friends.  Pretty much all of them have been in my shoes before, so were able to offer sympathy and hugs, because really there wasn’t much left to say.  The best support crew a girl could ask for!  Mimosas helped too.

lulu2

… From ART

Monday I had another ART appointment!  For some reason going to these appointments, even though I know it’s going to hurt really bad, make me happy.  I feel like it’s doing something to help!  This week, instead of leaving with tears, I left with a smile… my doctor wanted me to run/walk a mile!  This just immediately turned my attitude around.

I ended up run/walking a mile twice over the week and felt great.  It’s hard to say if my leg feels better since the pain usually started a couple miles in, but I feel like I am heading in the right direction.  It feels great to just be out there with my running shoes on for a few minutes and to have some hope that I will be running real runs soon.

… From the Morning Run Crew

photo 3

The morning run crew became the morning walk crew last week just for me.  I so much miss our morning runs, the talking and the fresh air, so the girls came out and walked with me instead!  They are the best.

I also met up with Alyssa and Renee that evening for coffee, food and a whole lot of running talk.  Just keeping busy and having friends to vent with makes all the difference in the world.

… From Getting Out of Town

Roadtrip!
photo 4

This weekend Chris and I drove down to my parents house for a few much needed days away.  Getting out of my normal routine and visiting family definitely was the break I needed to cheer up.  I tried to take advantage of my non-running time and do other things that I don’t typically get to do on our trips.

I usually say no to pedicures with my mom, but this time I initiated it!  One good thing about not running is this one should last a lot longer than the occasional one I do get.

photo 5

While Chris went running on Saturday, me, my mom, and sister in law took all the dogs to the beach!  Kylie and Emma love the beach, but this was Bella’s first trip.  They had so much fun and were wiped out the rest of the weekend.

DSC_0591DSC_0460DSC_0474DSC_0503a

All of these things most definitely helped because I feel a lot better compared to this time last week.  I know I am getting close to healing and I know I will be back out there soon.  I am starting to plan other things that aren’t necessarily running related, because guess what, life doesn’t always revolve around running!  When we can’t run, life still goes on.  I know this break will be good for me and that I will really appreciate every little part when I get back out there.  Hopefully now that I have cheered up a bit, I can find some motivation to do some other exercise activities too.

I have another ART appointment tomorrow and am hopeful I will leave there with another smile this time.  Fingers crossed!

16 Responses to With A Little Help…

1. abbi May 14, 2012 at 5:01 am #

I love the picture of the dogs in the mirror! I’m sure all of us out here understand the no running funk. You’ll be back soon, enjoy the time away and make the best of it!

2. The Blonde May 14, 2012 at 6:38 am #

You have a great attitude about this. And it’s okay that you were “pouting.” Totally allowed. But, chin up! You’ll be at it soon enough. Try to enjoy this time off and do some things you’ve always wanted to do. :)

3. Felice May 14, 2012 at 7:44 am #

Life doesn’t revolve around running? What?!?! ;-)

Glad you are cheered up and I hope you are back out there soon. You’re right that the break will be good for you in the long run. Hang in there!

4. Dominique @ Free To Be Athlete May 14, 2012 at 7:44 am #

While I hate that you have to go through this, it’s refreshing to know that other people also feel kind of lost when the workouts have to be put on hold. While I am fortunate enough not to have any long-term injuries, I am still fighting off a swollen ankle, and I was bummed out all weekend about missing the group run with my friends. Hang in there! Sounds like you have a great group to fall back on, even when you’re not participating.

5. Rachel May 14, 2012 at 9:01 am #

I love that you are taking advantage of the time off to enjoy things that you normally do not due to running. I love that you still went and hungout with your running friends! I wish you continued healing and hope ART continues to help.

6. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy May 14, 2012 at 9:27 am #

Yay! Glad to hear you’re seeing/feeling some progress. 1 mile at a time!

7. mamabird May 14, 2012 at 10:57 am #

So glad you are finding some relief and a little joy in the little things….pamper yourself as much as you can during this downtime…I always find a good mani/pedi, shopping for something (usually running clothes) and time with friends/family cheers me up when I am down.

Missed you last week though. It’s ok to post the not happy stuff Aron…it’s all part of this messy thing we call life. We love you here and don’t expect you to be little miss sunshine all the time. Just saying that you’ve created a really safe positive running community both here and in your real life and we will still love you during your off day/weeks. :)

8. Cate May 14, 2012 at 11:39 am #

<3 So glad you were able to run a little bit! And yay for pedicures and happy dogs on the beach

9. Ricole Runs May 14, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

So happy that you get to run even a tiny bit. You’re on the road to recovery. I know it sucks so much, but try to keep enjoying all the little pleasures (like pedicures!) you normally don’t have time for!

10. Travel Spot May 14, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

I’m glad that you have such a great support group! Also, sometimes when you take a break from running, you remember all those other fun things (the beach, road trip, MIMOSAS!) that you were missing! You will be back on your running feet in no time!

11. Jojo May 14, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

The pictures of Kylie and Emma are SO cute! Pups, friends, and vacations always do the trick. :)

12. Kristen May 14, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

How nice of your friends to adjust to a walking group. Glad you were able to get some quality time in with your running friends without running.
    I hope this week brings a little running!

13. Shannon @ Mon Amour May 14, 2012 at 8:16 pm #

I was wondering where you went! Glad things are starting to turn around for you!

14. Christine May 15, 2012 at 3:17 am #

Good job on dealing with this injury! ART is great and will bring you back to running in no time!!

15. marlene May 15, 2012 at 8:25 am #

Sounds like a great combination of things/people to keep your spirit boosted. Hoping for more good news from ART!

16. Susan - Nurse on the Run May 15, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Being injured is so, so, so hard. But it does get easier and I am starting to believe that our bodies will love the rest and come back stronger. Hopefully sooner rather than later…