Six Weeks Later

Saturday I decided to take my leg out and give it a little test run on the trails.  It had been far too long since I had dirt underneath my running shoes, so although I was really nervous for this run, I was really excited for it too.

I dusted off my trail running shoes and saw they still had the D-tag on them from AR50, which was 6 weeks ago that day.  They had been sitting in my car sadly waiting to go for a run this whole time.

photo 1

I untied my shoes removing the D-tag and thought back to that day that feels like a lifetime ago now.  I remembered being at mile 26 changing into my trail shoes and having all my friends helping me switch the tag to these shoes.  It’s crazy to me that 6 weeks has passed, but also crazier that it was only 6 weeks ago.

DSC_5490

I nervously laced up my shoes and walked over to the trail.  I only wanted to run about 3 miles, which would be my longest run in a few weeks, but that wasn’t what made me nervous.  The trails have a lot of ups and downs, and down hills definitely bring out IT band pain.  I didn’t care though, I needed to be out there and I was hopeful.

DSC_0637

The trails have definitely changed a lot over 6 weeks.  Most of the bright green is now gone from the East Bay hills, leaving the brown grass to hang around until winter.  I started running, assessed everything and everything felt good.  I kept the pace really easy and didn’t feel winded on the hills.  I made sure to take it extra easy on the down hills and even walked a few of the steeper ones just to be cautious.  I did a quick mile out and although I wanted to keep running and running off into the hills, I turned around to be safe (and to follow doctor’s orders of not getting too far away from home base).  Once I got back to where I started and still felt good, I added another half mile out and back to get to 3.

DSC_0646

I finished the run feeling good and once again cautiously optimistic.  Another pain free run, especially with the hills, is most definitely a success.

I walked around for a while waiting for Chris to finish his run and thought about everything that has happened.  If you would have asked me 6 weeks ago what I would be doing this past weekend I would have probably said I would be back to running 20 miles or back to back double digits, or something along those lines, getting ready for my next 50k.  6 weeks ago I never would go out for runs less than 4-5 miles, and here I am celebrating a week of 2 and 3 milers.   It’s pretty crazy how much things can change over such a short amount of time and how much perspectives can shift.

All I know and care about right now is that I am happy with any run.  It doesn’t matter the distance, the pace, the temperature or the location… any run (without pain!) is a good one.  6 weeks ago, I might not have said that so confidently, and that is a perspective I am happy to have gained.  Bring on those short, hard, hot runs that I may have said I hated in the past, because I don’t hate any run anymore.

, , ,

19 Responses to Six Weeks Later

1. Sandy May 21, 2012 at 7:46 pm #

I know exactly what you mean! I am starting to get back into things too and it takes a lot of patience!! I am so glad that you had another painless run. Take it easy and you will be back to the 20 milers again!

2. Rachel May 21, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

kudos to you for having such a positive attitude when i know it is anything but easy. you’ve accomplished so much in the last few years, and despite this minor setback i’m sure the future has plenty more amazing stuff in store for you. this will be nothing but a blip in the radar! keeping my fingers crossed things continue to look up for you : )

3. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy May 21, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

Woohoo! Excited for you to be back on the trails running pain free.

4. Monika May 22, 2012 at 12:15 am #

I feel your pain. I have been having ITB problem for past 3+ years. I have been running on and off and I start every single run worried that maybe today will be the day it flares up again. Beyond frustrating.

Be smart and caution! Keeping my fingers crossed!

5. Jamie in Arkansas May 22, 2012 at 7:17 am #

Funny how injury changes our perspective. It’s a privilege to run. And I thank God everyday that He lets me do it. I was off with a back injury for 7 months. I was miserable to be around. But I survived and slowly but surely have come back up to speed. I ran my first half marathon in over a year this past weekend. It feels so good. And I know you’ll be up to your usual mileage soon. Patience is the key. Soooo hard, I know. Trust me.

6. Allen (notthatlucas) May 22, 2012 at 7:17 am #

This is all great news! And I’m really impressed that you are following doctor’s orders – I can imagine how strong the temptation is to get out there and really air things out again.

7. Carolina John May 22, 2012 at 8:32 am #

Cautiously optimistic is the right way to play it. 3 miles on trails has got to make you feel good.

8. Marlene May 22, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Amazing how perspective can change over such a short {but also long} time. Glad you are feeling good about where you are, enjoying every step and best of all, running on the trails again!

9. Nelly May 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

That is awesome that your D tag from the race is still on your shoe!

Glad to hear that you are slowly getting back to running. Continue to keep it slow and gradual, and I bet you will be back to normal soon.

10. B.o.B. May 22, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

Just scrolling down your blog posts and reading the snippets of them seems like we are living in a parallel universe. I almost laughed when I read “if you don’t have anything nice to say” because man have I been feeling that way with my dumb leg injury! So glad to see you are on the mend. I’m so there with you on not hating any run right now. I’m thrilled to try for 1 mile tomorrow night. The good lord willin’ we both get back to those longer ones at some point though.

11. Morgan May 22, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

Perspective makes a world of difference. Welcome back girl, welcome back. :)

12. Dominique @ FreeToBeAthlete May 23, 2012 at 6:23 am #

I admire your resilience. Just the idea of an injury this week wrecked my day. Thank you for showing us running-addicts that you can take some time off and come back to it anew. I appreciate your honesty in dealing with this injury!

13. Kristen May 23, 2012 at 7:53 am #

So happy for you! I hope you continue to run pain free!

14. Holly May 24, 2012 at 8:45 am #

so glad you’re running again! i completely understand the thrill to just be out there running- regardless of pace and distance. hope you can continue to increase the distance PAIN FREE!!! cheers to running!!

15. Laura May 24, 2012 at 10:30 am #

I am anxious to speak to you! I just broke my foot this past Sunday. I was given a walking boot to wear for 6 weeks. (At that time they will x-ray to see if it’s healed, if not I get a permanent cast….I’m going to take it very easy to make sure I’m fine because I have my eyes set on a November marathon). Did you lose a lot of your stamina?

I am not to worried about speed and strength. I can do ankle weights and upper body weights to keep from gaining weight and keep strong and toned.

Thanks!

16. Rene May 25, 2012 at 8:30 am #

Congratulations on a pain-free run!

17. Travel Spot May 25, 2012 at 10:31 am #

It’s so great that you are getting back out there! Sometimes those shorter runs make you remember how much you DO love running. Also, not that it’s great, but sometimes we take our bodies for granted and when you get injured and can finally run again, you are much more respectful to your body! Pretty soon you will be back out doing 20s!

18. Tia@RunnerMom May 25, 2012 at 11:40 am #

I needed to read a post like this. I think we all get caught up in long runs or fast PR’s at times (I’m speaking to myself especially) and when we are faced with an injury it is so humbling. I admire your perspective and attitude. So glad I read this post!

19. Christine May 27, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

YEAH for a pain-free run!!! Hope you will be back running 20milers soon!