Green Light

Last week I was given the green light to start running again.  Not 2 mile runs or run/walks, but my version of running.

I immediately left my ART appointment, laced up my Brooks, and hit the trails for 20 miles.

DSC_0642

Kidding!!

Yes I was given the green light to start running again, but that doesn’t mean that I am turning around and jumping back into training where I was.  I am being very cautious and conservative with returning to running after this injury because I really want to make sure that it doesn’t come back!

Tuesday morning I nervously headed out for a 4 mile run.  This would be my longest run in a while and I was definitely nervous.  It is pretty nerve wrecking returning to running after being sidelined for any amount of time from an injury.  Every single step I take I am wondering if it is going to be the step that starts to hurt again.

Am I going too far?  Am I going too fast?  Is it going to hurt again?

So in order to be safe, rather than sorry, I am keeping things short and easy and taking my time to build the miles back up.  This is exactly why I pulled out of the She Rocks the Trails race when I found out I was indeed injured.  I didn’t want to have a race pressuring me into coming back faster than I should, and now I don’t have that.  I can take my time to make sure that I am really truly healed before doing anything crazy.

I am very happy to report that last week I had 4 pain free 4 mile runs.  Each one got a little faster and each one I felt a little stronger.

I am planning on increasing the miles a little more this week and am really just enjoying this time as I come back to running.  I am so happy to just be running that nothing else matters once I lace up my shoes.

I am also enjoying fun things in life right now without having to worry how I will fit in a 20 miler while spending the long weekend in the mountains.  Running is always such a big part and driver of my life at any given moment, that it’s been refreshing, and actually fun, to focus on other things too.

DSC_1010 DSC_0874 DSC_0736 DSC_0971

I guess I have found some bright sides to recovering from injury.

DSC_0988

22 Responses to Green Light

1. Sandy May 28, 2012 at 7:30 pm #

That is great news and your patience is paying off. Wishing you continued success with your running.

2. Kamaile May 28, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

Haha I was like WHAT 20 miles???!! Enjoy your pain free runs! :-)

3. Kat @ Balance & Spice May 28, 2012 at 9:26 pm #

Good for you for listening to your body and listening to your body. Rock out those runs and have fun!

4. Dominique @ FreeToBeAthlete May 29, 2012 at 6:36 am #

I love your attitude about all of this. Congrats on the great runs!

5. Ali May 29, 2012 at 6:41 am #

Yay yay yay! So happy for you! Way to play it smart and ease back into it. Keep it up and enjoy the pain-free return to running!

6. Alisa May 29, 2012 at 7:41 am #

So happy for you that you were able to run pain free miles. I have been there and know what it’s like to have your first pain-free run after injury! HOORAY!

Also, it can be liberating to HAVE to take a break every once in awhile to focus on other things. While injuries are never fun I think it does help put things in perspective sometimes.

Here’s to many more pain-free miles and continuing a smart comeback strategy.

7. Holly May 29, 2012 at 7:53 am #

so thrilled you are back to running! i know exactly what you mean about being nervous about mileage increases as you come back. you are definitely doing it the right way though and i can’t wait to see what you accomplish next! welcome back!! :)

8. Tia@RunnerMom May 29, 2012 at 8:05 am #

Ok, for a second you really had me going. I was like, “NO!! She’ll get injured again!” Glad to know you are still playing it safe and smart in your comeback! How many weeks off did you take? I just took off two weeks for this persistent knee issue (I think it’s patellar tendonitis) and the issue is still there. I know that’s a different issue than you but I am struggling with taking off time to heal but I know it’s the right move. So frustrating…

I have a HARD time pulling out of future races when I have a possible injury. I know I put unnecessary pressure on myself to train and comeback sooner than I should. You are going to be fine because you are doing it the RIGHT way. Man, do I need to take lessons from you!

Congrats on the successful 4 mile run. I’m sure you will be up in mileage before you know it.

9. Carolina John May 29, 2012 at 8:30 am #

Nice! Your patience is getting rewarded. Good job!

10. Nelly May 29, 2012 at 9:44 am #

Great to hear! Continue to take it slow with runs and you’ll be back to your 20 milers in no time!

11. Allen (notthatlucas) May 29, 2012 at 10:24 am #

I rolled my eyes when I saw the 20 miles thing. Then relaxed when I realized you were kidding. Sorry to hear about pulling out of She Rocks – I suspect you would have had a great time with that race – but I’m glad you are looking at the long picture. And I’m REALLY glad that things have been going well!

12. Laura May 29, 2012 at 11:55 am #

I am also recovering from an injury (fractured my foot in the Marine Corp Half Marathon May 20) and I just noticed the same thing this weekend. As much as I LOVE to run and the fact that the weather is perfect right now is killing me, I really enjoyed being able to spend some extra time with my daughter this weekend and not worrying about a long run everyday.

Plus side – She just learned to ride her bike with no training wheels…..so when I DO recover she’ll be ready to bike beside me:-)

13. katie May 29, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

HOORAY! and LOVE the puppy pics!!

14. Kristine @ Running on Hungry May 29, 2012 at 3:54 pm #

WOO HOO!!! So happy you’re feeling better and able to run! Slow and steady wins the (injury) race!

15. Yo Momma Runs May 29, 2012 at 5:51 pm #

What a great feeling to be back! And you have such gorgeous places to test your legs. I hope you stay injury free!

16. Christine May 30, 2012 at 2:25 am #

YEAH for pain-free runs!! You are a smart runner and will be back in no time :)

17. Morgan May 30, 2012 at 9:33 am #

So glad you are able to get back to it girl!

18. Travel Spot May 30, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

That’s great that you got the green light! I thought you were serious about the 20 miles! It is nice to enjoy the summer a little and not worry about where and when the long runs are going to be!

19. Rena May 30, 2012 at 9:56 pm #

That’s awesome that you got the okay to run again! Your photos are great.

20. Runner26 June 1, 2012 at 11:51 am #

Yay!, you are being so smart about this. I have been there with injuries, and it is so key to return slowly and not overdo it. You will be back to normal in no time ;)

21. Susan - Nurse on the Run June 1, 2012 at 5:55 pm #

Congrats on getting to run again! So jealous. Just be smart about building up again (I know you will be!) and you’ll be full force in no time.

22. Wendy June 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

Hope you recover super quick!