April

I think April would best be described as a month of extremes.

Starting with the highest runner’s high after crossing the finish line of AR50.

ar50.042

And ending with some post race blues that were turned into injury sadness and frustration when hearing the words “no running” 3 weeks later.

In between those two extremes, I got be a part of some of my best friends’ big days at Lake Sonoma 50 and SLO Marathon.  Both were incredibly inspiring weekends that I am so happy I got to be a part of.

LS 50 465 DSC_0415

Although AR50 feels like months ago now, I am doing my best to make that high from the finish line overshadow the injury low I am feeling now.  Obviously being freshly in the low point makes it hard, but what I am focusing on is that I did get to experience that finish line and have the most incredible race.  I am so thankful for that and that this injury showed up after April 7th.

Plus there were even more good things that happened in April I haven’t mention yet!

This month I crossed 1,000 miles for 2012!  It was actually at mile 40 of AR50 when I was saying bye to Jojo and picking up Chris as my pacer that I crossed that milestone.  I can’t think of a better place to have done it.

April finished up with 113.5 miles, my lowest month in a while, as it should be coming off of a big race.

DSC_0030

Who knows what May has in store for me, but I am going to make the most of it, whatever it is.  I will definitely get through this and I hope that May ends with me happily running pain free through the hills again.

, ,

17 Responses to April

1. Sandy May 2, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

Hang in there! It will get better..I promise!! Three weeks will go by very quickly!!

2. mamabird May 2, 2012 at 9:44 pm #

Way to stay positive Aron! You are gonna rest up, enjoy some time off and be back in no time, I know it!

3. XLMIC May 2, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

Love the recap of extremes. Really hoping you are all healed and ready to run soon :)

4. Jen May 2, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

Today, I read that, depending on the injury, you can use the treadmill at 12-15% incline at 4 mph to keep your running muscles in shape and maintain cardio fitness without aggravating injuries. Anyway, I thought you might like to know. Happy healing!

• Shut Up and Run May 3, 2012 at 5:57 am #

Curious where you read that. I’d like more info!

• Jen May 3, 2012 at 7:36 am #

I’ve been reading Run by Matt Fitzgerald (link below). There is a entire chapter devoted to injury — mostly about coming to peace with it and letting time take care of things. But he does talk about some work arounds, such as the high incline treadmill trick above and the anti-gravity treadmill, which unfortunately is too expensive for most people. I don’t think he’s sanctioning these methods, but you may want to check with your doc/PT to see if you can start doing something like this.

5. Jojo May 2, 2012 at 11:29 pm #

Regardless of the icky IT, it was an incredible month with huge accomplishments. :-) loved being a part of them and I know it won’t be to long before we are tackling that bucket list!

6. Shut Up and Run May 3, 2012 at 5:55 am #

I hope that you are pain free soon. I hope that I am pain free soon. We will both be back. Patience is tough. Your body did something so amazing for you in April. It will just take a bit of time.

7. Fancy Nancy May 3, 2012 at 5:58 am #

You have certainly had a lot of extremes this month! Hang in there! I hope May brings you pain free running again!!

8. Tanford May 3, 2012 at 7:04 am #

There are so many more races to be run in 2012 and in the years to come…as long as you take care of that injury now. So hang in there and keep on being that inspirational person that people see you as.

9. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy May 3, 2012 at 9:51 am #

It’s been a big year for you so far, Aron! Hope the healing goes speedily!

10. Marlene May 3, 2012 at 9:58 am #

A month to remember for its HIGHS for sure. This low is just a blip. Hang in there!!

11. Emily May 3, 2012 at 10:13 am #

That sounds like quite a roller coaster of a month! I’m currently injured too, and I’ve found that the best way to deal with it is to take advantage of all the extra time it has afforded me. I’ve really enjoyed sleep in, going out to brunch, not being tired all weekend, organizing my house, etc. I’m sure we’ll both be much more appreciative of running pain free once we’re fully healed. Take care of yourself!

Oh yeah, you might want to give acupuncture a try. It’s done wonders for this pesky plantar fasciitis I’m dealing with.

12. Laura May 3, 2012 at 10:34 am #

Happy May…that is my wish for you.

13. Andee May 3, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

I had a similar story after my first 50 at Northface in 2010. I think any “new distance” takes a huge toll on your body even if you did all the training leading up to the race. I had a mini tear in my foot coming off that race which I let rest for a little, but got too impatient and ended up taping up my toes just so I could run. Not the smartest decision as the injury took months to recover, than if I would have taken more weeks off it would have recovered a lot sooner. Keep your head up, injuries and learning how to deal with them are all part of the sport :)

14. Abby @ Change of Pace May 4, 2012 at 7:36 am #

Congratulations again on an amazing month. Although it has included forced time off, you reached your goal in a wonderful race!

15. Christine May 6, 2012 at 11:59 am #

Sending you tons of healing thoughts. Hope you will be back running soon!