Race Report: 2012 American River 50, Part 1

I am not typically a fan of multiple part race reports, but I think this deserves (and needs) 2 parts!   


After training for and running 11 marathons, I was starting to feel like I wanted something more and different when it came to my running.  I had always thought about doing an ultra-marathon and knew I wanted to run a 50 mile race someday, I just wanted to wait for the right time.  I wanted to be mentally ready for the volume of training, as well as ready to let go of speed and other things that I had been so attached to during marathon training (which was also the part I was looking most forward to). 

After getting a serious case of burn out last summer, I took a break from training, ran for fun and rekindled my love with running.  I knew I was ready to take on a new big challenge and I signed up for American River 50 miler.  I knew a lot of people who had run it as their first 50 miler and it was close to home, so all things pointed that it would be a great race to pick for my first one.


I built up my base over the fall and researched 50 mile training plans left and right.  Nothing seemed to fit the mold of exactly what I wanted to do with my training, so I took what I had learned about ultras and made my own.  It was a demanding, challenging plan, but that’s exactly what I wanted to do… challenge myself and test my limits.  I often heard the words: why are you running so much?  You know you don’t have to run that much?  I knew this, but I did it for one reason: because I wanted to.

My body responded well to training and I was able to accomplish almost every training run just like I hoped I would.  I peaked at 92 miles per week and a my biggest back to back weekend of running was a 50k (31 mile) trail race followed by 23 mile run the next day.  My longest run was a tough 32 mile trail run.  I loved training so much and knew that signing up for a 50 miler was exactly where I wanted to be.  I had a really good taper, both mentally and physically.  I felt like, even though this was going to be my longest race by far, I was more mentally prepared for this race than any other race I had run.  I was confident, excited and just ready to run.

Race Morning

After an ok night of sleep the alarm went off at 4am and I was up in race mode.  My stomach was definitely full of nerves but I just went through the motions getting ready.  I ate my normal breakfast of coffee, English muffin with peanut butter and a Clif Bar that I had to choke down.

Our hotel was about a mile from the start, so Chris drove me over to the start line around 5:15 for the 6am start.  Even though this is one of the biggest 50 mile races in the country, it was still only around 800 people which is way less compared to big road races.  It makes race logistics that much easier. 

We walked over to the portapotty line which took a while and with 5 minutes to the start line we made our way up to the bridge where the start was.  Chris walked all the way with me toward where I wanted to start and I gave him a hug and kiss goodbye as the gun went off.  It was time to run 50 miles!

The Race

The race starts on the American River paved bike trail in Sacramento and winds it’s way along the river for about 19 miles.  Then you get a little teaser of some single track trails for a couple miles before rejoining the pavement for a few miles.  Around mile 27 the trails start for the rest of the race, which include mostly single track along Folsom Lake and the American River.  Then, it finishes with a brutal 3 mile paved climb up to Auburn.  Overall the elevation gain was just over 3,000 feet, which makes this course a very runnable one.

My Race

It was still dark at 6am when we started running.  It was pretty chilly at first, but I was comfortable in my layered shirts, arm warmers, gloves and shorts.  I was having fun listening to the runners around me, everyone was so excited for this adventure we were on.  I was just trying to find my groove and keep the pace easy.  I really had no idea of what to expect in a finish time, but I thought with my training it would probably be around 10 hours, and if it was a great day, a sub 10 would be amazing.  I figured I would run the first half in the upper 9s/low 10s and just go from there.  I was very focused on my effort over pace and was making sure I wasn’t going too hard at any time.  This was my first 50 after all and I did NOT want to blow up.

I ran along following the bike trail, trying to focus on running the tangents since the trail had a lot of turns.  It was a really pretty trail and the sun was coming out but I was kind of bored in this part.  Looking back, I think the first 8 miles were the hardest miles for me, and if you want to call it a low point, that might be it.  I know it takes me a while to get warmed up, but I kind of expected to feel really good right off the bat and I didn’t.  This made me a little nervous, but I just focused on getting to the first aid station at mile 8 where my crew would be.

I started fueling right away like I planned to with Shot Bloks but could tell something wasn’t right.  Around mile 6 my stomach was getting very cranky and I was looking everywhere for a bathroom.  A lot of people had been pulling into the bushes for bathroom stops but I needed a real bathroom.  Finally just before the first aid station at mile 8 I saw a bathroom and pulled over to get in line.  I hate having to wait for bathrooms, but I knew it would be bad news if I didn’t and watched the minutes tick off my watch.


I ran through the aid station and grabbed a PB&J and saw my crew for the first time. I was so, so happy to see them! I told them my stomach wasn’t very happy, but I felt so much better after stopping.  Seeing them raised my spirits a lot and I knew it was going to be a good day no matter what.  I had high hopes as I ran off.


Instead of focusing on how many miles I had left overall, I was really focused on when I would get to the next aid station and more importantly, when I would see my crew next!  I knew I had 6 miles until I saw them next, so I turned on my headphones and listened to some music to keep me entertained.  I also had turned off the beeping on my Garmin before the race started, so I wasn’t notified every time I passed a mile.  I really liked this because every time I would glance at it, I would be further than I thought. 

A couple miles later my stomach starting bugging again, and yet again I was on the hunt for a bathroom.  I found another one that had a short line, but watched the minutes clicking off again.  It wasn’t necessarily that I cared so much about the minutes, I was more-so worried about my fueling.  Fueling is such a big part of an endurance event and I could not have my stomach ruining this!  Instead of focusing on it and letting it turn my day into a bad one, I just did what I could and made myself eat what I could.  I kept on eating my Bloks like I planned and just kept on running.

I have had bad habits in the past of really putting myself down during races.  The second things start to get hard or aren’t going according to plan, I just fall apart internally.  I will admit there was a milla-second of this happening early on in the race.  I thought to myself, why do you even do these races?  Maybe you should just stick to training and not worry about the big races since they never seem to go right.  Then I stopped myself.  I was doing this because I love it.  No day will ever be perfect and things always go wrong, that is what makes it exciting.  It’s taking the challenges we are faced with, dealing with them and taking control of them that make a successful race.  I was determined I was going to have the time of my life out there and nothing was going to stop me from that.

Before I knew it, it was mile 14 and time to see my crew again!  I ran through the aid station, grabbed a piece of potato, refilled my pack and kept on going.  I was sad when I didn’t see them there, but I kept on going and they were just a little further up the trail.  They had been busy between stops and definitely had some surprises for me including matching Team Aron shirts.


Even though my stomach wasn’t being nice, I was still so happy and having so much fun out there.  The longer I was running, the better I felt, both physically and emotionally.  I stopped to chat with them for a second, grab some more Bloks and was on my way again!


I had about 8 miles before I saw them again, so I turned my music back on and enjoyed the day.  My stomach was feeling a little better but I just wasn’t focusing on it.  Around mile 18 or 19 just as we were getting to the first mini trail section of the race, I heard a man ask if I was Aron.  I of course said yes, and turns out it was a reader (hi Steve!) who had emailed me previously about training.  We talked for a minute and I told him I was having a great race besides my stomach.  He mentioned he had heard that ginger chews were the miracle worker for stomach problems and just happened to have some.  I gratefully took one from him and hoped it would work!  I definitely think it helped a lot… thank you Steve!  

There was another aid station around mile 19 so I took a couple things, including soda.  I loved having soda during training and figured it would help my stomach too, so I grabbed a cup and kept on going.  During this part I ran into a guy from Forward Motion Race Club that I knew of, so I introduced myself and chatted with him for a bit.  We ended up running some sections of the next couple miles together and it was really nice to have someone to chat with!  I entered mile 22 aid station feeling really great and happy.

DSC_5479  photo 9

I was getting warm at this point, so took off my top layer and gave it to my crew.  I took some more aid and off I went, knowing the next time I would see them I was going to pick up Jojo as my first pacer! 

The next 4 miles were back on pavement which was kind of rough after being teased with the beautiful trails.  The paved portions had been mostly flat, but these miles had some longer inclines and hills.  I was feeling really good and ran mostly everything, but also was trying to just stay steady and not push too hard.  Andee, a fellow blogger and ultra-runner, had given me some advice that stood out to me in that moment.  In addition to many other things, she told me not to push too hard in the highs to keep steady.  Although I felt really good and wanted to run hard past all these people, I made sure to just keep it consistent.

I crossed the marathon mark right around 4:35 I think, and felt really good with how I felt energy wise and how my legs were holding up.  I was so happy that the first half of the race had gone relatively smoothly and I was really excited for the rest of the race!  My legs felt fantastic and I was looking forward to the trails coming up. 


I entered Beals Point, the next aid station, with a big smile on my face.  With the upcoming trails, I had planned on switching into my trail shoes out of my road shoes here.  I had my trail shoes untied already, so the D-tag could be transferred easily.  I could tell I was getting a couple blisters on my pinky toes, so I decided to switch socks and put a bunch of Neosporin on my toes as well.  In addition to being medicine/pain relief, it acts like body glide/Vaseline to help with the friction 


Since I hadn’t been able to stomach as much solid food as I had hoped besides Shot Bloks, I grabbed a couple of Jolly Ranchers to suck on hoping they would help.  Apparently a typical Aron expression was caught on camera while I was there also.    


New shoes and socks, a refilled pack, and my first pacer and I was out there feeling fantastic, off to run 24 more miles!


To be continued…

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It

, , ,

60 Responses to Race Report: 2012 American River 50, Part 1

  1. Maureen April 8, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

    Congrats, Aron!! What awesome support from your team and what perfect weather. Can’t wait to read Part 2!!

  2. Paul Stoltzfus April 8, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

    I’m getting all teary & misty eyed reading this post! Just finished my first half marathon last weekend and all the emotions come flooding back. Your training, race plane, and when things feel like they are unraveling…

    There is something about running that can’t be expressed thru words. You just have to be there. And run. And somehow your words make me feel like I am there and feeling everything as you feel them.


  3. Ali April 8, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

    Ahhhhh I’m loving it! Can’t wait for part two!

    Already so impressed, of course that you finished with the most massive smile ever, but also that you encountered challenges early on and kept a positive attitude. The stomach stuff would have thrown me so hard, but not you, you stinkin’ superstar. Excited to read the rest of the story — hope you’re still celebrating!

  4. Alyssa April 8, 2012 at 3:52 pm #


  5. Allen (notthatlucas) April 8, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

    I don’t know if it is psychological or what, but I always carry ginger chews and they seem to help the stomach issues I often have on the longer races. This is a great report – thanks for putting it together!

  6. Erica April 8, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

    I’ve been looking forward to this post! Can’t wait for part 2. Good tip on the ginger chews

  7. Carrie April 8, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

    Love the race report so far – can’t wait for the rest!

  8. Marlene April 8, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

    Agreed! This one merits multiple parts for sure.

    Looking at the pics that the girls were tweeting, I was thinking it looked sunny and hoped it wasn’t too warm for you. How was the temp?

    Sounds like a great first half – way to stick to the plan with pacing and fueling and NOT let those demons rear their ugly heads. Glad the tummy troubles didn’t ruin your day.

    Can’t wait for part 2!

  9. Joanne April 8, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

    Excellent! Absolutely exciting. I can’t wait for part 2!

    I’ve never thought of the challenges that get us down in races to be the challenges that make it that much more exciting. I’m going to always hold onto that one when I start to get those negative thoughts while racing.
    The other valuable snippet you offered was that no matter what, you were going to enjoy that race and smile through all the tough times. I’m making note of all these things you say that mean so much to mentally get through a race.

    Once again (and not the last time I say it) Congrats!

  10. chandra April 8, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

    How exciting, I can’t wait to hear the rest!!

    I loved this sentence from when you were talking about getting down on yourself, “No day will ever be perfect and things always go wrong, that is what makes it exciting. ” The second things start going wrong in ANY run, be it training or race, I start getting down on myself. I’m going to try to remember this from now on and just deal with the bad and the good as they come along!

  11. Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef April 8, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

    love it! congrats :)

  12. Lisa April 8, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

    I can’t wait to read the rest of this!!

  13. Kamaile April 8, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

    I LOVE your race reports especially this one! Looking forward to the next part!

  14. Audrey April 8, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

    Can’t wait for part two – such an amazing journey. Because of you, I am pondering a 50k someday (baby steps!)

  15. Laura April 8, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

    What an amazing experience! All your hard work paid off… can’t wait to hear the rest of the recap!

  16. Jen April 8, 2012 at 5:51 pm #

    Aron, you are so incredible. A huge congrats on this amazing accomplishment! This race recap is by far the most inspiring thing I’ve read in awhile. You should be so proud of yourself for staying so strong despite your stomach issues. Way to go, girl! Can’t wait for part 2 :)

  17. Michelle April 8, 2012 at 6:45 pm #

    It’s a good thing you don’t have an 800 number (or heck, that I don’t have your number) because I’d be calling you to get the second half race report! You rocked it all the way through! So glad you didn’t let the negative self talk interfere!

  18. Tia@RunnerMom April 8, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

    Ahhhh…. I understand the need for two posts but the suspense is killing me!! I MUST hear the rest of this story! Don’t keep us hanging too long! :-)

    I love the way you tell this. I feel like I am right there, running my first Ultra! Looking forward to Part 2!

  19. Jessica April 8, 2012 at 6:57 pm #

    Congratulations on an awesome race!

  20. Ricole Runs April 8, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

    You such an inspiration! I loved reading the tweet updates yesterday! I can’t wait to read the rest of the report!

  21. Megan April 8, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

    Congrats!!! I can’t wait to read the rest of your experience. I would have never thought, but yesterday was one of the best and most fun days of my life! I hope you felt the same way :) And sounds like you made good time!

  22. Jess April 8, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

    You are amazing! I can’t wait to read the rest!

  23. IDK My BFF Jes April 8, 2012 at 7:50 pm #

    I love that this is two parts! I am practically hanging on the edge of my seat waiting for the conclusion!

    way to go!

  24. Aysha April 8, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

    Brilliant … So looking forward to part 2!

  25. Rachel April 8, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

    ahhh the cliff hanger! bummer to hear about the stomach issues, but even more impressive that you overcame them and executed an amazing race. it’s fun to hear you describe the course as, for once, i know what you’re talking about! i agree that the first half is pretty boring, which is why i really can’t wait to hear about part 2 – i’m sure you tore up those trails!!

  26. Laurie April 8, 2012 at 9:11 pm #

    Awesome! Glad your stomach seems to be coming around… can’t wait to read the rest of it. Great pictures, you look so happy and like you’re really enjoying the race. :)

  27. Susan - Nurse on the Run April 9, 2012 at 12:20 am #

    I’ve been lucky enough to avoid stomach issues during long runs and marathons, so sorry they sneaked up on you during the race! It sounds like you took it in stride and made the most of it, and I can’t wait to hear about part II!

  28. Laura April 9, 2012 at 4:58 am #

    You continue to be such an inspiration.
    Congrats on your huge achievement!!

  29. Kristen April 9, 2012 at 6:12 am #

    I’m usually not the biggest fan of multiple parts in a race report either – but this definitely deserves extra posts. I’m excited for part two and am so excited for you!!

  30. Kia April 9, 2012 at 7:11 am #

    Congrats on completing the race. I am looking forward to part 2!

  31. Christine April 9, 2012 at 7:25 am #

    Soo exciting!!! You positive attitude is so inspiring, looking forward to part 2!

  32. Amy April 9, 2012 at 7:59 am #

    So glad you had a great race! I’ve enjoyed reading about your training. Can’t wait to read part 2! You’re such an inspiration!

  33. Ericka @ The Sweet Life April 9, 2012 at 8:43 am #

    So far, so awesome! Can’t wait to read part 2– the really good stuff :)

  34. shelly April 9, 2012 at 8:47 am #

    That is great!! Congrats!! Can’t wait to read the rest!

  35. Laura is Undeterrable April 9, 2012 at 8:50 am #

    Aron this is so inspiring! Congrats! Can’t wait for part 2!

  36. Celia April 9, 2012 at 9:35 am #

    Ahhhhhhh! A cliffhanger! I want to know how it ends!!! Although I do know it ends well :) Congrats!!!

  37. Debbie April 9, 2012 at 10:34 am #

    Congratulations on an outstanding achievement!!

  38. Andee April 9, 2012 at 11:17 am #

    Great recap! Can’t wait to read the last half. Ginger pills from Whole Foods and Ginger Chews from Trader joe’s works great. Glad my little tidbit helped :)

  39. Rena April 9, 2012 at 11:28 am #

    This is so exciting! That’s nice that your friends came out to support you and also pace you.

  40. Stefanie April 9, 2012 at 11:58 am #

    Congratulations! I find your blog a few weeks ago and have enjoyed reading all your running acomplishments.

  41. Jill April 9, 2012 at 11:59 am #

    I’ve been so busy, I haven’t been able to check the blog in about a week, and I was SO excited to come back and see this race recap and know your race went smoothly. Congrats on an incredible accomplishment, and I can’t wait to read Part 2!

  42. Beth @ RUNNING around my kitchen April 9, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

    Congrats, what an amazing recap! Can’t wait for the rest!!! The more I read of your blog, the closer I get to wanting to do a 50K or longer :)

  43. Chris April 9, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

    This is so exciting! i am doing my first 50 miler in about a month and I love reading your RR! I had a long run a few weeks ago where I ate a clif bar before starting (as well as some oatmeal) and i think it was fiber overload – my belly was NOT happy! it was not pleasant, but no more clif bars so soon to running for me – despite how delicious they are!

  44. Abby @ Change of Pace April 9, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

    Wow- I got chills! It sounds like an incredible start to the race (minus needing the bathroom breaks!) I can’t wait to read the second part. Hope you’re legs are doing ok!

  45. Morgan April 9, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

    Just 24 more miles to go, NBD! :) I love how effortless you make this seem, even with the tummy issues.

  46. Kerrie T. April 9, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

    This is so awesome, Aron! You just look really happy and relaxed and in control in all the photos. Plus, I love reading AR50 recaps because I’m from there! Grew up in Granite Bay, and spent like every day during the summer at Folsom Lake.

  47. Nicole April 11, 2012 at 6:42 am #

    ahhhhh!!! :) amazing job girl!!! you ROCK!

  48. kristen April 11, 2012 at 7:39 am #

    Training – Woah! I had no idea you peaked at 91 mpw. That’s crazy. Your body definitely loves the high mileage. I’m glad you didn’t listen to any of the naysayers and trusted your plan!

    The Race – I had no idea there was so much pavement involved. I wonder how much that beat up your legs? Not much I suppose. You are so not alone in getting down on yourself the minute your plan gets derailed. It’s human nature in most of us I think. I love that you gave yourself the pep talk reality check and moved on.

    • Aron April 11, 2012 at 8:15 am #

      The pavement part is why I kept a lot of my training on pavement, so I was used to it come race day. There was a soft shoulder pretty much the whole way which was nice to break it up.

  49. PavementRunner April 13, 2012 at 10:31 am #

    I seriously feel like I am running the race with you… great recap. On to the next one!

  50. ckuhvulkzgay April 22, 2013 at 1:04 pm #


  51. jhexvpfageqo April 23, 2013 at 5:41 pm #


  52. rqwycypxoxcg April 23, 2013 at 6:43 pm #


  53. zbzevlxvfucg April 24, 2013 at 7:14 am #


  54. cmwcailwhvun April 24, 2013 at 9:55 am #


  55. inugdievkcyl May 8, 2013 at 12:38 pm #


  56. lukofodvdygb May 9, 2013 at 3:02 am #



  1. » Spectator Recap: American River 50 Twenty-Six and Then Some - April 9, 2012

    [...] not going to talk about Aron’s race in detail (you can check out her blog for that), but what I will tell you is that I don’t get this girl. How on earth is it possible that she [...]

  2. Lost and A Time for Daffodils - April 9, 2012

    [...] Aron wrote when negative thoughts set in during her first ultra marathon, I’m going to smile at every [...]

  3. Race Report: 2012 American River 50, Part 2 | runner's rambles - April 9, 2012

    [...] When we left off, I was almost 27 miles into AR50, had a new pair of shoes and socks on, and had just picked up my first pacer Jojo.  We were heading off into the trails, which I was very much looking forward to after over 20 miles of pavement. [...]

Leave a Reply