Patience

Patience has never been one of my strongest virtues, in fact, it might be my worst.  Right now it’s definitely being tested.

I tried my best to be patient with recovery after AR50.  This race was a whole new level of running and endurance and training, so I have to expect for my body to need extra time to recover.  Even though I know that, it still is hard to really make sink in.

After the race, I took a week off of running.  My muscles felt great, I was eager to run, but I made myself wait a full 7 days before lacing up my Brooks again.  I thought that would be enough.

DSC_0129

That first run back I could tell my right leg/IT band/knee was not quite normal.  I assumed this was just some wear and tear from running 50 miles, so I took Monday off like I usually do, and then continued to run.  I ran my normal days Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and looking back now, I probably should have cut back on the number of days.

Every day I thought my leg was getting a little better, that it was just soreness left over from the race, but by Friday it definitely felt worse.  I was sad, annoyed, and frustrated, but I wanted to be smart, so I took the entire weekend off.  Luckily I was very distracted so it wasn’t that hard.  As the weekend went on, my leg felt completely normal, so I was very hopeful that by Tuesday it would be back to new.

Monday I got a very painful, deep massage to work through any tightness in my leg.  My massage therapist said I had lots of stubbornness in there, but that all my muscles eventually gave in and released.  I felt like new after.

Three days of full rest, a massage, and I was ready (and excited!) to run come Tuesday.  I met up with my normal Tuesday group and we hit the road.  The first few miles I didn’t feel anything at all and I thought I might be back to normal, but around mile 3 I started to notice some weirdness.  I left the group, turned around early and headed back to work to be safe.  As the miles clicked off, running got more and more painful, and eventually turned into a sad walk.

After the run, I used the injured status on DailyMile for the first time.

So now here I am trying to figure out what to do.  This is completely new territory for me since I don’t think I have ever taken more than a day off because something hurt.  Sure I have had pains, but nothing that has really stopped me from running quite like this has.  I am scared and nervous about how long this might take to heal and just sad because I want to run.

I am trying to practice patience as best as I know how right now.  I am hoping that with a few more days, even a week or two, some ART and massage, that this will all go away.  I am hoping that my body just needs some extra rest after AR50 and that will be that.  I am hoping I can look back on this in a few weeks and it seem like a tiny blip in my fun summer of running.

I know it hasn’t been that long.  I know that I am lucky that this is the first time I have had to deal with something like this.  I know that I am lucky it’s not worse.  I know that I am being dramatic.  But I sure do miss running, especially running long.  I miss it a lot, a lot.

DSC_0104

Patience, please pay off and let me back out there soon.

, ,

40 Responses to Patience

1. Trish April 25, 2012 at 5:34 am #

I have a bad knee and sometimes I feel like I’m constantly trying to figure out if I’m just having normal aches and pains or if it’s something more serious. It’s maddening sometimes, and I hate feeling like I’m missing out on training. But our bodies tend to tell us what we need and I think you’re listening to yours pretty well! I’m sure your leg will be better before you know it!

2. Kaprise April 25, 2012 at 6:28 am #

It’ll work out! You’re body is probably just so tired!!! Get plenty of rest, I’m sure you’ll bounce right back!! I’m crossing all my fingers for you :)

3. Kristen April 25, 2012 at 6:36 am #

Oh the injury patience is not easy. But it will pay off. Get on your bike, walk your dogs, go try to enjoy another yoga class…
    Injuries suck , but think of how fun it will be to get back on the trails when you’re finally able to.

4. Nina April 25, 2012 at 6:37 am #

I hope you feel better soon!

5. deepsouthrunner April 25, 2012 at 6:50 am #

I know just how you feel! I was planning to start training for my first marathon at the end of this past September, but at the beginning of August I started having shooting pains around my IT band area even when I was just walking. I self-diagnosed myself as having IT Band syndrome and took 2 weeks off running. It still wasn’t enough, and I ended up taking most of August and the beginning of September off. It was very aggravating and upsetting, but when my training plan was scheduled to start the last week of September, I started out slowly and worked my way up to the long runs, and I was fine! I only had one or two issues feeling like my IT band had been irritated again during training, but I was vigilant about icing and stretching and it didn’t flare back up. I ran my first marathon in January!

We are totally different runners because I hadn’t even run one marathon when I dealt with my injury, and you just ran a 50-miler! So you will find your own remedy for overcoming this injury. For me, it was a LOT of rest. It sucked and I lost some of my conditioning, but it was so worth it when I was able to start training on schedule. You’ll figure out what you need to do! And it will get better!

6. Meagan @ Managing Meagan April 25, 2012 at 6:58 am #

Oh no! That stinks!!! :( Keep trying to stay positive & lots and lots of ice and rest! I hope you feel better soon!!!!

7. Sandy April 25, 2012 at 7:04 am #

Injury patience is the hardest thing in the world to overcome! You are a very smart runner so you know what to do and taking some time off will be the best thing that you can do for your body right now. You will be glad you did :)

8. Jessica Karazsia (@irun26at8) April 25, 2012 at 7:10 am #

After my 50 miler in November, I reluctantly took a full 3 weeks off of land running…best decision ever! You don’t realize how beat up your body actually is after that intense training.

See my post below:

9. Shut Up and Run April 25, 2012 at 7:20 am #

Yes, patience. It really makes you dig deep inside when you are injured because you can’t do something you love and you can’t cope with everyday life by running. You know I know this one all too well. You will be back, but it may take time. Your body is telling you something. Hang in there my friend!

10. Lynne April 25, 2012 at 7:22 am #

Please, please, please take more time off than you think you need to heal. Trust me, I have learned more than once that it only gets worse if you don’t. I don’t want you to end up in that position! Someone wise once asked me, “Would you rather be a lifelong runner or a once-in-a-lifetime runner?”

11. Bonnie April 25, 2012 at 7:35 am #

First of all, I love your blog. Very inspiring stuff! I have had on and off trouble with my knee/IT band and the thing that helped me was going to a good PT to isolate the issue and then keeping up with exercises to strengthen the medial glutes. Rubber band walks and leg lifts seemed so silly but you know – they really helped. Also, become friends with the foam roller. Hopefully, your knee problem is just some residual effects from the 50-Miler and will go away soon. Take care.

12. Kim April 25, 2012 at 7:37 am #

Maybe this is a first time, maybe you’ve been lucky, but that doesn’t make it any easier or better. I’ve been able to run very little the past year due to a pelvic stress fracture that is S-l-o-w-l-y healing. It stinks, but it has also taught me a lot, too. Keep doing what you’re doing and taking care of yourself. You just put your body through something that was both amazing and demanding. Take your time coming back. Good luck & feel better soon!

13. Carrie April 25, 2012 at 8:03 am #

Best wishes for you to heal up quickly!

14. sarah April 25, 2012 at 8:11 am #

Sorry about the legs…. I also recommend taking your time with getting back into running & you could try easing back into running by run/walking for 30-40 minutes at a time. Good luck!!!

15. greengirlrunning April 25, 2012 at 8:26 am #

I’ve been dealing with some IT band issues since Napa… very frustrating because just when you think it’s fine it flares again. I just recently saw this Sock Doc video that I found really interesting and helpful. http://sock-doc.com/2012/04/sock-doc-knee-video/
    Hope you feel better soon!

16. Beth April 25, 2012 at 8:26 am #

Sorry about your legs! Its rough to go from super high mileage to to zero miles all at once. I hope you heal quickly!!

17. Bekah April 25, 2012 at 9:49 am #

Right there with you, buddy. Headed into my second week of zero running and still having pain when I walk, so I have no idea how long it will be. For me, 80 mpw to 0 is kind of traumatic mentally, but it’s given me a lot of great time to think and re-evaluate where I want to go next. One thing I know–running long is my fave. Here’s to your speedy recovery!

18. Kimra April 25, 2012 at 10:00 am #

Blech, I’m so sorry to hear about this. I think I’ve spent more time injured than not since starting to run, so if you want any coping tips, I’m your gal. I usually start with cookies, and maybe some swimming, and a beer, and lounging on the couch not feeling guilty about giving my body the rest it needs. Also lots of whining, I’m not going to lie. Here’s to a fast recovery!

19. Corey April 25, 2012 at 10:04 am #

It’s crazy after all of that training and all those miles, that NOW you are having some pain! Especially since you felt great after the race. The body is weird! Good luck with your patience (I have none) and getting through this! Hopefully you will be back on the road (or trails) soon!

20. XLMIC April 25, 2012 at 10:17 am #

Hoping you are feeling all better soon :) Injury is no fun and the patience it can require to overcome it is often a huge challenge. Thinking of you…and glad you are listening to your body!

21. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy April 25, 2012 at 10:42 am #

Ugh, hang in there. THe good thing is that you know what to do and are starting to utilize those methods AND you have a great support crew of friends. Maybe this is an opportunity to dabble in some more yoga or easy cycling? Injuries suck so just do what you can to keep your spirits up and keep on healing.

22. The Blonde April 25, 2012 at 11:08 am #

I have struggled with IT issues on both sides off and on over my distance running career. I focus on foam rolling (several times a day), pinpoint with a tennis ball, and ice. When running, I slow my pace way down, and give myself a recovery day after each run. Massage has helped a ton too! Give it some time now, so you don’t have to give it TOO MUCH time later (i.e a lot of time off). :)

23. Sima April 25, 2012 at 11:50 am #

I think youre doing the right thing, eventhough its the hardest thing to take time off! I think the toll it takes mentally is the worst part. But I know when I have a hip or knee pain that feels debilitating, BIKING is the best thing for it. I noticed such a difference when I biked more and ran less.

Dont worry! You’ll be back at it in no time. Arent you glad this happened after your training instead of during? :-)

24. Amber April 25, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

It sounds like you are doing everything right even though I know it’s hard to be patient! Hope that ART and massage and rest helps. Maybe you can work on rekindling your love with road biking now too if that doesn’t bother your leg?

25. Anthony Johnson (Brewbro) April 25, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

I will take at least 3 weeks off from running after a 50 mile event. About 7 to 10 days after the 50 mile run I will start to ride my bike a few days a week to keep my fitness up but with low impact on the legs. I will bring the base running back starting week 4. So you should consider giving that bike of yours some attention and enjoy the break from running. The bike is great cross training and will help your running.

26. katie April 25, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

I agree with the “go ride your bike” commenters. 50 miles is a LOT of banging up your bod! let it rest! xoxox.

27. Layla April 25, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

You will be better soon! I’m sure you’ve had 90 million people tell you this, but I’ll be another one: foam roll. Kerrie told me to do that when my knee went nuts, and her advice is likely why I was able to run and break 4 hours a few weeks later. Then my other IT band flared up and that’s been harder, but I think foam rolling has been the big key.

Also, it seems like planks help me a lot, too. I do them on each side and it’s almost like I can feel my IT bands getting stronger when I squeeze and hold everything.

28. Christine April 25, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

I really recommend ART. This helped me after my first marathon and you will be back soon!

29. Marlene April 25, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

Not you! Nooo.

Everything is crossed that it’s just your body’s way of saying HEY I need a bit more rest. Hang in there!!

30. Abby @ Change of Pace April 25, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

Oh, sorry Aron. Definitely stay patient. Hopefully after more recovery time, ART, and massage you’ll be back on the trails!

31. Sarah April 25, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

I got injured after my last marathon. I don’t know how but I think it was because I pushed it too soon after the race and didn’t fully recover. It was my first injury and heart breaking to go from 55 mpw to 0. I went to see a chiropractor and I think that was one of the best decisions I’ve made. He saw that my hips were out of alignment and did and adjustment. I instantly felt 50% better. And I would suggest seeing a pt/chiropractor if you’re still feeling discomfort. Hope you feel better soon!

32. Denise April 26, 2012 at 6:47 am #

Aron, look at me!! I pushed through the pain for the ultra stuff and now I’m still dealing w/ this crap 2 years later. Take the time now, you’ll be so much better off if you do. I sucks and it’s frustrating but believe me, it’s only going to get worse if you don’t back off now. hang in there.

33. Tia@RunnerMom April 26, 2012 at 8:39 am #

I’m sorry. I know this is where you want to be right now. Your body had given you SO much the past few months- (multiple marathon distances and then 50 miles!) so I’m sure you just need rest. It’s just hard from going from one extreme with mega miles to the other extreme of NOTHING. You are doing the right thing.

I ran a hard marathon over 7 weeks ago and took a few days off. My knee has been a little achy on and off but is NOT any better and it’s because I have been running through it. Looking back I should have STOPPED running all together but my pride got in my way. I have 2 more races- a 5K this weekend and 5K next weekend but I am thinking about completely taking time off after that.

34. Nelly April 26, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

You just ran 50 miles recently.

Let me repeat – you just ran 50 miles recently =)

For most people out there, I’ve heard that your body needs approximately a day of rest/cutback for every mile run during a race. 50 days is a lot, but my guess is that your body won’t feel fully normal for a month or so.

I think your pain will go away within a month, I bet your body is just overloaded right now. I have no idea how much to run, but maybe do like 1-2 times a week and very short runs for now?

And that is amazing that this is the first time you’ve been injured. That is an amazing streak you’ve had. I had never been injured until March 2011, now it seems like I’m always injured. No idea when I’ll be fully healthy, but I hope that you come back soon healthy. Being injured sucks.

35. shelly April 27, 2012 at 7:42 am #

Because I am the weirdo who runs every.single.day, I will refrain from offering advice. But I will say I hope that you find an answer quickly. After a “big” race I often struggle with that “its over. now what?” kind of saddness. Not being able to run would make that even harder.

I’ll be praying your legs heal/bounce back quickly!

36. Lisa April 27, 2012 at 9:16 am #

Hi there! Just found you and excited to “get to know you” a bit and follow your ultra experiences. I’ve got a 50 miler in my sights for the Fall, so am interested in reading about others’ trainings/experiences/etc.

Good luck w/ your recovery – patience is something that will pay you back 10 fold :)

37. Susan - Nurse on the Run April 27, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

I’m so sorry about your injury, but hopefully it’s just temporary and your legs need some rest after the 50 miler. I know how much injuries suck (it’s been almost three months since I’ve ran normally, and I haven’t run at all in the past three weeks…), but we want to run FOREVER and not just right now. Such an important thing to remember. I’m losing my patience with my injury, but I know it’ll be worth it in the end. Good luck!!

38. Ricole Runs April 27, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

Ooh no!!! I’m so sorry to hear about this! I struggled with ITB stuff in the past, and it wasn’t until I took 2 full weeks off that it felt better. I also took 3 Advil 3 times a day for 10 days (doctors orders even though I was worried about my kidneys!). And stretched and iced and foam rolled of course. I hope it feels better soon!

39. Lizzy April 29, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

awww I hope your leg is feeling 100% now!!
    I am so sad we didn’t run into each other in SLO…the race was a blast!
    I hope you’ve been having a great weekend!
    xoxo!

1. No Running | runner's rambles - April 30, 2012

[...] my bad run on Tuesday, I got in to see my chiropractor on Wednesday, where I got a painful round of ART [...]