No Running

I had this positive, peppy post drafted in my head last week that I never ended up sitting down to write.  It was going to talk about my rest week, my ART appointment, and how I was very hopeful that I would be as good as new this week.

While I would love to sit here and right that positive, peppy post, it’s not going to happen.

April 031

After my bad run on Tuesday, I got in to see my chiropractor on Wednesday, where I got a painful round of ART done.  He told me to rest a few more days and to run on the weekend (nothing crazy!) to see how my IT band/knee/leg felt.  He taped me up with the fancy tape and told me he was hopeful I would be back at it pretty quick.  I left his office feeling happy and optimistic and sporting the new fashion style.

April 032

I rested like a good girl for the rest of the week and my leg felt great.  I waited until Sunday morning to go out for a few miles but stuck to my neighborhood as much as the trails were calling my name.  I stayed on flat ground and didn’t venture too far just in case my leg wasn’t up to running just yet.  My leg felt great at first, but around mile 2 it started getting cranky again.  I stopped just over 3 miles and felt a little defeated, but still hoped for the best.

I had another ART appointment today after work, so just to be sure my leg was still mad and I knew exactly where to describe the pain, I did another very easy short run this morning.  Once again, the first couple miles were fine, but the getting all too familiar pain showed up just after mile 2.

I was kind of bummed out all day, having a feeling about what I was going to be told that afternoon, but I again tried to stay positive.  I walked into his office this afternoon and told him things were not feeling good.  “But you don’t get injured!” I wish that was still true.

He dug around in my IT band and knee where I told him the pain was and sure enough, I have a very pissed off leg and it hadn’t gotten any better.  He worked on it a ton, explained what was going on and it did start to release.  But this time I got the “you aren’t going to like what I have to say” phrase prefacing the words “no running” for the first time since I became a runner.

Honestly, I was a little relieved to hear the words so I didn’t have to decide myself, but I still didn’t want to hear them.  I wanted it magically to be ok and I could be out running again like I have every other time I have had pain in the past.  He told me to come back in a week and we will see where I am, but most likely it will be about 3 weeks (hopefully no more!).

I got in my car to drive home and ended up crying the whole way.  I know I am so dramatic.  I tried to tell myself 3 weeks isn’t that long, at least its weeks and not months, that I am lucky to never have to deal with an injury before, and all those things I just don’t really want to hear.

I do know those things but that doesn’t mean I still won’t be sad and frustrated.

My habits, my routine, my schedule, my eating, my sanity all revolve around running, and without it I have just feel lost.  Going from 80+ miles a week to 0 now just feels so weird and empty.

On the positive side, I am starting to make a list of things I can do to fill my time that I don’t get to do when I am always running.  Kylie and Emma will also be continuing to get a lot of extra attention, as will my foam roller.  I might even get back on my spin bike again if my leg calms down, even though I really just want to protest everything that isn’t running.

April 033April 034

I know I will be ok.  Those weeks will fly by, hopefully ending with me as good as new.  It’s not fun to run when it hurts like that anyways.  I also will let myself be sad, because it does suck and it is a bummer and I will miss it a lot.  I have never been told not to run and it’s definitely a weird thing to hear.  I know my body needs and deserves this rest, so I will continue to do my best to be patient and look on the bright side.

My running shoes aren’t going anywhere and will be waiting for me when I am healed and ready.

, ,

53 Responses to No Running

1. Amanda April 30, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

I’m so sorry this is happening to you. I really hope things heal up quickly and you are back to doing what you do! Good for you for being proactive about taking care of things. Try not to be too sad, but I do agree it sucks to be injured.

2. jody April 30, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

you should try running in the water
    or just swimming because i notice that swimming help my running and running pains
    best of luck on a quick recovery

3. Carrie April 30, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

4. The Blonde April 30, 2012 at 8:27 pm #

I know this is hard! We’ve all been there… :( Rest well. You’ll be back to new soon!

5. Kimra April 30, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

Frowny face. Definitely been there. I’m taking most of May off running after my race this weekend, so I’m looking forward to hearing what you do when you’re not running (and maybe stealing some ideas)

6. mamabird April 30, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

Oh Aron….my heart sank for you when I saw this post. What a sad way to end such an awesome experience and amazing accomplishment. It’s totally ok to be sad and wallow in it for a few days….Then you can pick yourself up and find a way to keep yourself busy until you can get back out there! You will come back better than before, I know it. Take care of yourself, woman!

7. Anna April 30, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

I’m sorry you got bad news. I know how you feel. I ran my first marathon and ended up with a stress fracture and I haven’t been able to run in 4 full months. And I’m still not healed. It’s so frustrating to have to stop doing something you love, but you just need a few weeks’ rest and you’ll be right back out there! Hang in there and I hope you’re better soon!

8. Sneha @ Geeky Runner April 30, 2012 at 10:33 pm #

Don’t be disheartened Aron. I am sure that after these three weeks, you will come out feeling like a new and better runner, both physically and mentally! Hang in there :)

9. Lisa (Mom to Marathon) April 30, 2012 at 10:52 pm #

I am so sorry. I hope you heal quickly and fully!

I agree that swimming might be a nice alternative for a while. Last summer, when I hurt my hip I swam and biked a bit and it took the edge off.

10. Christina May 1, 2012 at 3:21 am #

Since you’ve not really been hurt before it’s probably easy to feel like you might never run again. So I just wanted to say that all injuries heal and you will get better! You have to think positive- I know that sounds lame but it’s true. Most important- you HAVE to rest. Just when you think you are ready to run again you should wait 2 more days then try it. It’s better to lose 3 or 4 weeks now than develop a chronic injury. You defi do not want chrnoic ITB problems. Just rest, relax, thank your cute puppies that you’ve come this far without other injuries, and you’ll be back in no time. Also I highly agree with the commentor who suggested swimming. This might sound hookey but I have had a few different injuries heal quickly after I got serious about the pool (aqua aerobics, laps, pool running). I remember my first aqua aerobics class I told the instructor I was an injured runner (I wasn’t her first!) and she said water helps healing. I thought it was silly but I really recovered quicker than I normally do and had a lot of fun too! It was sort of like the water massaged out my over tight calf muscles that were straining my tendons- I know it sounds silly, but I had this nagging problem for a month and finally kicked it after a couple keeps of swimming. Chin up :D

11. onelittletrigirl May 1, 2012 at 4:35 am #

Christina nailed it- this is new to you, but you WILL heal. Most of us have been here before so we do understand. Just try to focus on what you CAN do and when you are healed you will definitely have an (even more) appreciation for what those legs do for you!

12. Amanda May 1, 2012 at 5:19 am #

I got this same type of news a month ago. My calf muscles and shins were so overworked that my friend (who’s an athletic trainer) thought I was on my way to a stress fracture. Those few weeks off felt like they took forever. However, I’m SO glad I listened to her because now I’m back running and I feel absolutely great. Injuries can suck, but it will give you the time to think about what you want to do next when you get to lace up your running shoes again!

13. Kelly May 1, 2012 at 5:25 am #

aww, Aron! I’m so sorry about your injury, but stay positive! Your body has been through a lot, and maybe this is its way of saying, ok, I need a little break now! I’ve had IT band problems after both my marathons, and even though it sucked I was back and running in after a couple weeks of resting it. In the grand scheme, it’s not a ton of time. You’ll get through it! :)

14. abbi May 1, 2012 at 5:39 am #

Sorry to hear but I’m sure if you listen to the advice now you’ll be happier in the end and back to the running soon!

15. Sandy May 1, 2012 at 6:13 am #

I know how frustrating an injury can be. It is worth taking it easy and resting for a few weeks than a few months. I have not been able to run for three months due to an injury and it’s life changing!! You are a strong runner so I am sure you will be back in no time at all. There are other forms of cardio that you can do to stay in shape so it will all work out. Hang in there :)

16. Josie @ happycorredora.com May 1, 2012 at 6:58 am #

Aw, I’m really sorry to hear that. I am going through almost the exact same thing. I had Grastons on my ITB which was very painful and left bruises- I am thinking maybe ART is the way to go instead?

I understand your feeling down- but it will get better. ITBs are a b*tch to treat but once you are back, you will be stronger :)

17. Holly May 1, 2012 at 7:48 am #

So sorry you’re injured Aron. That’s no fun at all!! Hopefully it will just be a minor recovery period and you’ll be back out on the trails before you know it! I’m finally “running” again after 2 months off so I completely feel your pain.

Enjoy the extra time with Kylie, Emma and Chris!!

18. Denise May 1, 2012 at 7:49 am #

i’m sorry. you know i can relate to exactly what you’re feeling. just be smart and you’ll be better off for it. hang in there!!

19. Adam Heiser May 1, 2012 at 8:01 am #

Aron,

I am really sorry that you are dealing with a bum leg. 80 mile weeks can add up on someone. I have been keeping up with you twitter handle and your blog. You and your crew are very similar to the crew I have here in Atlanta.

I went thru some injury recently and my leg was giving me problems on mile 2.5 to 3. It felt like my quad was going numb and I was losing coordination in my leg, It eventually became so tired, I had to quit.

Is this what you are going thru?

Best of Luck-
    Adam

20. Abby @ Change of Pace May 1, 2012 at 8:37 am #

I’m sorry, Aron. I dealt with a similar thing after my first Ironman in 2010. I truly think I had a form of depression from the high of training and the completion of your big goal race to zero.
    Hang in there, and enjoy the time with your pups!

21. Meredith May 1, 2012 at 8:52 am #

I hope you feel better soon! I had the exact same thing happen to me 2 years ago. I tried to rest my ITB for 3 weeks on my own. Then ART and no running for 3 weeks. Then slowly building up and everything was fine! I didn’t even lose much fitness because I did the elliptical, bike, swim, swim running. I still foam roll my IT bands every day and ice when it gets cranky. What worked for me was: 1) foam rolling; 2) stretching; 3) icing – EVERY DAY, twice a day!! (and ART)

It is depressing, but I promise that if you put in the rest now, it will be over soon. Also, volunteering at trail races might make you feel better :)

22. Holly May 1, 2012 at 9:23 am #

I am so sorry! Being injured is SO frustrating! I had ITB issues last year post-half marathon. I ended up doing PT and was not allowed to run for 3 weeks before starting to incrementally add running back. The only thing that kept me sane was to walk in the morning when I usually run. I would start off feeling pissed but by the end of a mile or 2 walk, I would be feeling better. It allowed me time to be by myself and mad but it also kept my routine and morning air made a huge difference. You will be back, keep your chin up :)

23. Rachel May 1, 2012 at 9:26 am #

As one who has suffered numerous injuries, I feel your heartache. I hope you use this time to do things that have been put aside for running. The positive about coming back from no running is that it can renew a sense of appreciate for short runs. Good luck in your recovery; it sounds like you are on the right track with ART and at home PT (foam rolling, etc.).

24. shelly May 1, 2012 at 10:19 am #

I wish the news had been better BUT I agree that it is easier to have the professional simply tell you to not run. Then you just have to know that you have to do it or not do it in this case. Years and years of running is what most of us are after so 3 weeks in those terms will mean nothing to the lifetime of running that a complete healing will provide.

Enjoy filling that time with everything you ever wished you had time to do!

25. Jamie in Arkansas May 1, 2012 at 11:09 am #

I’m sorry Aron. I can honestly say I know how you feel. I was out for 7 months with a lower back issue. I thought I was going to die. And yes, I was dramatic and really hard to live with for the first 4 months. Then I accepted it, and moved on. Thankfully my prayers were answered and after all those long months I ran my first mile with no pain. I am now up to 11 and will run a half in May. It was such a slow and painful process to deal with. I ate a lot, I cried a lot, and basically felt sorry for myself for a long time. I’m like you. Running was WHO I was and WHAT I did and without it, I had no purpose, no schedule, nothing to talk about with my running friends. It’s a bummer, but IT IS WHAT IT IS. You’ll will get thru this. You’re one tough chick!
    Hugs!

26. Kristine May 1, 2012 at 11:25 am #

:( I’m so sorry to hear the news, but you have such a positive attitude I know you’ll get better and be running like the wind soon enough!

27. Chris May 1, 2012 at 11:35 am #

Ugh ,the worst!! You def have the right to be sad, 3 weeks feels like forever when something is so integrated into our lives. But remember that resting it now, really well, will get you back faster. So no cheating! You can do it, no matter how hard it is.

Are you a swimmer? I love swimming and it helps me when I have to back off from running for one reason or another (injury or just coming off a hard training cycle).

I’ll be thinking healing thoughts for you!!

28. Shanna May 1, 2012 at 11:39 am #

I’m so sorry to hear about your injury! Just remember that you are more than a runner – you are an athlete, wife, friend, etc and you need to take care of yourself so you can get back to running. I’m currently recovering from a stress fracture in my foot and was told by the doctor that I can’t do any weight-bearing exercise at all while my foot is healing (yeah, no running, biking, yoga, lunges, eliptical, etc.), and have to wear a foot boot for 6-8 weeks. At first I was paranoid that I’d gain a ton of weight, but I’ve taken it as a good opportunity to do a ton of core work and upper body strength training and sure it’s been hard, but now it’s week 4 and i can definitely see the difference in my stomach (and I’ve been able to do the stationary bike twice!!!). You will get through this too and we’ll both be back running super soon!

29. Nelly May 1, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

I’m sorry to hear that you can’t run for a bit.

I guess I never thought you would get injured, I always viewed you as being indestructible. The first couple weeks are the toughest, because your entire routine and everything is different and will take some getting used to. I would try to fill your time with going to the gym and at least working out even if you can’t run. Other people probably said it above, but maybe do some rehab or core work in the meantime. Not sure if your PT guy gave you some exercises to work on to get your IT band to feel better over time. You may want to go to sports doctor to get a full diagnosis if you haven’t already.

I’ve never met a runner who hasn’t been injured at least at some point, unfortunately we all have to go through it. I only had very minor injures over 20 years of on and off running, until I got more seriously injured in March 2011 and since then seems like I’ve been battling injuries ever since. So now I relish simply being able to get out there when I can.

I did a couple posts a while back that you might find interesting, it is just about dealing with injuries:

Being injured is not easy. Main thing I would say is continue to work hard at whatever you are doing, and you will be back. Last post I thought you would be out about a month, I thought your body is just overloaded from the 50 mile race. Only Dean Karnazes and Marshall Ullrich can do 50 miles without some kind of repercussions – especially since it was your first 50 miler. Good luck and hopefully you are back on the roads soon.

30. Melanie May 1, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

You are not the least bit dramatic! It’s always tough to have to take a break, but you’re right… it’s just 3 weeks. I’m sure you’ll find all sorts of fun ways to keep busy and the time will fly by, and you’ll be running again pain free! Hang in there!

31. Ali May 1, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

I quite literally feel your pain, friend. But here’s the great news: You successfully trained for and ran an ULTRAMARATHON without injury. It sucks that this is happening now, there’s no sugar-coating that, but you got through the race, ran it amazingly well and have lived to tell about it with that big, gorgeous smile on your face. Try to enjoy this little break (Who am I kidding?) and find other things to get you sweaty in the meantime. I say crying is allowed, but only if it’s followed by foam rolling and at least one happy thought. Deal? And remember: Rest now, run forever.

32. XLMIC May 1, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

Feeling sad for you :( Being hurt super sucks. I really hope you are all better soon :)

33. Morgan May 1, 2012 at 7:14 pm #

Sending lots of healing thoughts your way and hoping this injury is nothing more than a blip on the screen. Injuries suck, plain and simple.

34. Amber May 1, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

So sorry to hear this Aron. Being injured SUCKS, especially for someone who runs as much as you do. I hope you bounce back asap. XO

35. Joseph May 1, 2012 at 9:50 pm #

Hey Aron, just started reading your blog a few weeks ago. I’m new to running but I’m addicted and I. LOVE. IT. I definitely feel for you as my life revolves around running as well.

Better to not run for 3 weeks and heal rather than taking the risk of not being able to run at all ever. Make sure you walk and stretch to help your leg heal correctly and maybe try icing. Hang in there!

36. Sandy Leung May 1, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

I completely understand your frustration. I feel like I’m constantly being careful not to aggravate my IT band which likes to flare up at the worst times. Keep on foam rolling! That has been my life saver….WISHING YOU A SPEEDY RECOVERY! <3

37. Darlene May 2, 2012 at 6:21 am #

There’s no way to be positive about not running. Take it from me. I haven’t run since Dec 29 (ankle surgery) and I don’t know if I’ll ever run again.

38. kristen May 2, 2012 at 6:53 am #

I know this kinda feels like the end of the world a little, but don’t wallow girl! You will be back and you will love it and appreciate it EVEN MORE. Even if you didn’t think that was possible. I’ve been there (with IT band injury) – don’t rush it. They are stubborn. This injury will make you smarter. And stronger.

And don’t listen to those negative nellies! There are good things to come out of taking a short break from running.

39. Kristen May 2, 2012 at 7:43 am #

Ugh. That sucks. And as much as it feels like the end of the world…it really isn’t. I remember coming out of the nuclear medicine suite after my bone scan confirmed a stress fracture and feeling really sorry for myself. Then I had to walk through a hospital. Seeing people there with “real problems” put it into perspective for me. Yeah, it sucked a lot, but I would heal and come out of it even stronger.

You’ll get back out there, you’ll heal, and you’ll be stronger than ever. Good luck fighting through the injury blues!

40. Lauren May 2, 2012 at 10:47 am #

I’m really sorry to hear you are injured Aron. I wish I had some profound words to help you get through this, but sadly all I can say is that I HEAR YOU. I feel your pain – quite literally, since my knee always acts up about 2 miles into the run as well. It is so frustrating to be sidelined. As dramatic as it sounds, not being able to run has taken away some of my sense of self. And it’s even harder when I read about people around me accomplishing great things in training and reaching new PRs. Sometimes it is hard to see this state as temporary, and easy to get caught up in feeling like I will be injured forever.

But, on the bright side, you made it through your Ultra without injury. You put your body through your most grueling training yet and it stood up to that. I know it is hard to adjust, but I’m confident that a little downtime now will only help you come back stronger later.

Hang in there!

41. katie May 2, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

well, POOOOOH. I’m sorry friend. hugs your way.

42. Christine May 2, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

So sorry to hear!!! The good news is you got injured after the big race. Imagine this would have happened a week or two before the race! Take you time and maybe you can do some swimming? Your body will enjoy the rest and be back stronger!!

43. Ricole Runs May 2, 2012 at 8:13 pm #

I’m so sorry to hear that! But you will be right back out there and better than ever soon. I had some severe ITB issues in 2010 after running a marathon and the chiro kept saying I could run but it wasn’t until I took 2 full weeks off with a freaking ton of Advil that it finally got better. So much stretching and pt type strengthening exercises too. You will get better quick!

44. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy May 3, 2012 at 9:57 am #

It’s never easy to hear the words “No running,” but I have faith you’ll get through it. Hopefully, your leg can stand some easy spinning or some yoga so that at least you’re getting some of that satisfaction of exercise.

Now that I’m in recovery mode from the marathon, I’m thinking “wow, I could like actually clean the house or the fridge or organize the cabinets….or anything else I constantly neglect while training for a big race.” Ha… we’ll see. Hang in there!

45. Marlene May 3, 2012 at 10:01 am #

I’m really sorry that you got this news and was hoping it would clear up in a snap. Glad you are trying to find the positives, keeping busy and listening to your body (and doc). This won’t last forever.

46. pinfile-D:\rankwyz\tcrnews.txt% July 26, 2013 at 12:16 pm #

The petrol chainsaw can be an animal, however in
    the hands of a confident and proficient user no job is too big or
    small. My name is Jack Robinson, If you have been considering buying a chainsaw, I have a few key
    questions that you need to ask yourself before
    you start shopping around for chainsaws. But a must-have for the
    ambitious artist is the Dremel.

47. Alica August 10, 2013 at 9:29 am #

Are you interested in healthy skin and a close shave.
    Face it (pun intended), it’s probably worth getting the Braun 790cc shaver if only to make mornings more comfortable. Again, always shave against the grain to have a closer shave.

48. Gloria August 21, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

It can be powered by electricity, hydraulic power or engine.
    Chainsaws are a powerful and potentially dangerous piece of gardening equipment,
    and if you do not spend a little time choosing the appropriate machine for your
    needs they could also turn out pretty costly. Modern saw technology offers potential owners two distinctly different paths when it comes to what type of technology they want their saw to
    operate with.

49. Roxanne September 7, 2013 at 11:44 pm #

“special deals”, ” deep discounts”, “clearance items”,
    “cheap merchandise”, and “special coupon offers”. Online coupons for pizza often
    have coupons codes that you have type in when you order a pizza from a
    pizzeria’s website. Their style of toppings is what makes the pizzas delicious.

1. My Trick For Snapping Out Of An Injury-Induced Funk (Plus A Giveaway!) | Ali on the Run - May 2, 2012

[...] Lauren can explain the feelings more eloquently and less whiny than I can, so read her post. Or read Aron’s, which is also significantly less bitchy and complainy than [...]

2. 1 Year | fashionable miles - May 10, 2012

[...] but it was certainly helpful to hear my thoughts/feelings expressed by some other lovely talented runners in the same injury [...]

3. With A Little Help… | runner's rambles - May 13, 2012

[...] me happy.  I feel like it’s doing something to help!  This week, instead of leaving with tears, I left with a smile… my doctor wanted me to run/walk a mile!  This just immediately turned [...]

4. Doctor’s Orders | runner's rambles - May 16, 2012

[...] every other Monday for the last few weeks.  It had been 2 very long weeks since I was told not to run, and this week I was cautiously optimistic that I might be told running is ok.  Even just a [...]