Meet My Crew

One of the things I was really excited about when I signed up for AR50 was that you are allowed to have crew and pacers!  Whenever I have watched movies or read books about ultras, the runners always talked about their crew and I thought it sounded so fun to be able to have a support system out there while you are running.

It took me a while to get all my plans figured out, but once it started, everything fell into place.   It was kind of hard to ask for help: "hey friend, do you want to come spend an entire day of your obviously busy weekend following me around on the chance I might need something?

Luckily I have amazing friends who volunteered to be a part of my day and have been so supportive throughout this training process, and I want you to meet them!

The meeting of my crew this past Sunday… over food and beer of course.Planning

My Crew

Crew are allowed at specific aid stations along the way in AR50, and my crew will be driving to a number of them that we planned out to bring anything and everything I might need with them.  I have packed up a bunch of fuel for them to have, in addition to what will be at the aid stations, to make sure I have anything I might possibly want especially when nothing sounds good.  They also will have extra clothes if I for some reason want to change and will generally be providing moral support along the way.

713726-9006-0036s

Page
One day Page and I were sitting discussing something (I am sure it was politics or something sophisticated like that) over coffee and my race came up and she said “WHAT CAN I DO?!”  She took charge, rounded up the troops and has been leading the pack since then.  I met Page through twitter and blogging, and she has turned into one of my best friends.  She has been so excited for me and so supportive this whole training cycle, I am so happy she is going to be there on Saturday.

DSC_0257

Kristin
Kristin and I go way back… back to day one of running and have spent a million miles together since.  If you have been reading this blog for any amount of time you see her name and picture pop up over over the place, because we are always together!  I can’t imagine running a big race without her there, so I am so excited she will be there!

Jan 005.2

Sima
Sima has turned into one of my favorite running partners this training cycle and has spent many, many miles with me over the last couple months.  She put up with pouring rain, dark mornings, and slowed down for my tired legs.  She has been an incredible support system and another face I will be so happy to see!

PS Sima – we need to take a picture this weekend!  Apparently we are always too busy running or something and have no pictures together!

My Pacers

Pacers are allowed from miles 26 on in AR50 and pacers actually run with you!  They are there to keep me company, remind me to eat, and to keep my spirits up.

GGM 001

Jojo
I feel like I have been running with this girl forever even though we had technically never really ran together before this training cycle.  When I found out she was training for a 50 miler the weekend after mine, we coordinated our schedules and ended up being able to spend many hours together on the trails.  I don’t know how I would have gotten through this training cycle (and some of those insane runs!) without her.

She is going to be my first pacer from miles 26-40.  I know those miles are going to be tough miles, but I know we have gotten through tougher together before.  It doesn’t make my race so scary knowing I will have her next to me for those tough parts and I am so excited that she is going to be there.

Plus since her 50 miler is the next weekend, I promised to keep my attitude happy and make sure she thinks that is the best, most fun thing I have done in my entire life.  Which of course it will be.

IMG_1307a

Chris
For the last 10 miles Chris will be pulling me along the trails.  I am sure he will be making me laugh and keeping me entertained as usual, but he will also be helping me maintain my focus and stay strong.

He has pulled me through some tough moments on the run before, so has experience in that area with me and knows what he is getting into.  Plus I always love when I get a chance to run with him, so knowing I have something to look forward to from miles 40-50 will be a huge boost.

I am so lucky to have such a great support system willing to come out and be there for me on Saturday.  It means so much to me and I know it is going to make this day amazing.  Thank you friends!

43 Responses to Meet My Crew

1. The Blonde April 4, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

You are SET!!! Lucky girl to have such a great husband and friends!

2. Rachel April 4, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

what a great crew! i’ll be out there in the morning so i’ll be sure to look for you guys. SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!

• Aron April 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

Yesss I hope I see you out there! Do you know where you will be?

• Rachel April 6, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

i’m planning on somwhere between miles 8-15. what are you wearing so i can look for you?

3. Ali April 4, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

Yay! Awesome running friends and a wonderful hubby to support you threw this 50miler is BAD ASS! Tell them to take plenty of pictures to document your achievement… and blog ;)

4. Carrie April 4, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

So excited to hear all about your race!

5. Sesa April 4, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

I love the idea of having a pit crew. There’s some stress that comes with a regular race, so having people look out for you relieves a bit of it.

I can’t wait to see how you do. Have an awesome time!

6. cindylu April 4, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

Good luck, Aron!

I’ve read race reports from ultra runners, but am not actually sure on how crew differs from pacers. Do your crew members run with you too, or do they wait for you at aid stations?

• Aron April 4, 2012 at 9:21 pm #

Great question! I just updated the post to explain more, thanks :) pacers run with the runner, crew provides aid, etc at aid stations.

7. Kaprise April 4, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

good luck!!!!!!!!

8. JoLynn April 4, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

Just an FYI, if you need a second pacer for those last 10 miles, let me know. Muah!!

9. ShortSkirtsandScience April 4, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

Good Luck Aron! I hope you have an amazing race this weekend!!!

10. XLMIC April 4, 2012 at 10:52 pm #

You are a lucky lady…what a collection of great people to help you out :)

11. Nina April 5, 2012 at 1:29 am #

you have some awesome friends there & I am really looking forward reading your race report. Good luck Aron!

12. Jill April 5, 2012 at 3:34 am #

Aron,
    I stumbled upon your blog and have been following your training for a couple of months. Just wanted to send you best wishes from Champaign, IL. You seem more than prepared and have the heart and drive to make this a great accomplishment and memory for you.

Good luck,
    Jill

13. Mandi April 5, 2012 at 4:05 am #

How wonderful to have a team taking care of you during the race — it sounds so important and crucial to this kind of a run. Good luck!

14. Liz April 5, 2012 at 4:07 am #

Cannot wait to read your race report! Your training experience has sounded so fun and thrilling and I hope the race tops that, especially with family and friends there to help!

15. diana April 5, 2012 at 5:26 am #

Aron!!! I can’t wait to read all about the race! You are going to be great. You have a fabulous crew too! Definitely bring some extra clothes. I paced at a 100 mile race and in the middle of the night we got stuck in a rain/thunder/lightening storm. While it felt cold after and I was ok, the runner that I was running with had a harder time keeping her temp regulated (even after switching into warmer gear at the Aid station) since her body was more worn down and tired. When packing just keep in mind how your body may react in different climates when tired. I am sure the weather for you will be fabulous being in Cali and all!!!

16. Jess April 5, 2012 at 5:30 am #

I’ve been following your blog for a while now, and have loved hearing about your training. You are SO READY. Good luck with your race, I can’t wait to read about it!

17. Jamie in Arkansas April 5, 2012 at 5:38 am #

Aron,
    You are SO blessed to have such wonderful friends and family to support you! I long for that. My family has never understood what running means to me and the fact that you have so many who love and support you is a TRUE blessing. Can’t wait to hear all the details! :)

18. Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef April 5, 2012 at 5:58 am #

great crew! i know i’ve said it before- but i can’t wait to hear all about it! you’ll do great. good luck!!!

19. Joanne April 5, 2012 at 6:57 am #

What a great crew. You’ll do great.

20. Lynette April 5, 2012 at 7:02 am #

What a great crew it is! So glad they will all be there for you! You have lots of emotional support from all your readers too :) Hugs to you! You make us so proud!

21. Michelle April 5, 2012 at 7:20 am #

You really have some amazing friends — what a great crew! And I have to say – I LOVE that you are going to be running the last 10 miles with your hubby. What an awesome thing to experience together. I cannot wait to read the recap of your race!

22. Denise April 5, 2012 at 8:08 am #

i remember meeting w/ my crew and working plans with my pacers! it was so fun!! i love the chris will be w/ you the last 10.

you’re going to do GREAT this wknd, aron!! i know it! i can’t wait to hear how it goes. i’ll be thinking of you and sending you postive “non tired leg” thoughts!! be in touch when it’s over to let me know how you did.

Your body can do this, just did deep and be mentally tough. RUN SMART and HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!

23. Michelle April 5, 2012 at 8:10 am #

Oh I love this part! How cool! This is going to be a GREAT day!

24. Corey April 5, 2012 at 8:11 am #

Sounds like you have a great plan and a great crew of people supporting you! Good luck!! Can’t wait to read all about it!!

25. Marlene April 5, 2012 at 8:40 am #

What an awesome bunch of people to have behind you (err, beside you) out there. As I was reading along, I kept thinking ‘I wonder if Chris will be her last pacer.’ yep! Couldn’t pick anyone better for that job, I’m sure. Wish I could be there but I will be rooting for you!! Hopefully Chtris & the girls can keep us updated on twitter between their support responsibilities. :)

26. Chicken April 5, 2012 at 9:02 am #

Good luck! Run smart! I feel like I already know you and your crew from all your great blog posts! I’m considering volunteering as a pacer for the Zion 100 miler. Sometimes people just need a pick me up and it looks like you’ve picked the perfect people to support you!

27. Jennifer S April 5, 2012 at 9:19 am #

Good luck! You are going to rock this! You have an amazing attitude about running and life. I love how you have given your all for this race and I can’t wait to hear how to all turned out!

28. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy April 5, 2012 at 10:19 am #

How awesome that you have such a wonderful crew!! You are going to have a great time!! My mom and the manfriend are usually my crew at any long race, but I only really needed them at the 50K. No one was allowed to run with you, but they definitely helped to refill my water bottle with accelerade, give me more snacks and say encouraging words. So nice that you’ll have Chris alongside you for those last 10!

29. Megan April 5, 2012 at 10:43 am #

Have I mentioned how jealous I am of how prepared you are??? You’re gonna rock this race. Maybe a Western States qualification??

That’s great that you have friends in your crew! My crew consists of my family and a dog, haha. I’m lucky they love me enough to be there!

30. Allison April 5, 2012 at 10:51 am #

Good luck! With all of your training and your great crew and pacers, it is going to be an incredible day.

31. Amber April 5, 2012 at 10:55 am #

I love that Chris will be with you for the last 10 miles. That will be so great! So excited for you. I’ve LOVED following your training for this!

32. Kia April 5, 2012 at 12:19 pm #

Good luck this weekend. It sounds like you have a great crew and training behind you!

33. Holly April 5, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

I’m seriously so excited for you and your CREW!! You will have such amazing support with these friends (and family) by your side. I’m also so glad Chris will be able to run the last 10 miles with you. I know I’d want to have my husband by my side as I reached the finish line of such an amazing experience. Can’t wait to hear all about it. Will be cheering you on from Houston!!

Good luck, run strong and my the wind always be at your back!

Cheers!!

• Holly April 5, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

my = may (oops)

34. Laura April 5, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

I am so excited for you. Congratulations on getting to the start line so beautifully. I can’t wait to hear the recap. You aregoing to have such an amazing day!

35. Terri April 5, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

Sending you a ton of strength and good wishes! You trained so hard. Enjoy it!!!

36. shelly April 5, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

Sounds like a great support system!! I’ll be thinking about you this weekend!! You’ll do great!

37. Ricole Runs April 5, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

So exciting!! I think itd be so fun to crew for you, I’d love to see what a real live ultra is like!

1. My Race Plan | runner's rambles - April 5, 2012

[...] with planning my crew and pacers, there are a few other things I have been obsessing over planning out over the last few weeks.  A [...]

2. Race Report: 2012 American River 50, Part 2 | runner's rambles - April 9, 2012

[...] crew and pacers were incredible and this day wouldn’t have been half as amazing without them.  They are the [...]