American River 50: Recovery Week

I wasn’t sure if I would even post a weekly recap about this week, but I have been getting a lot of questions about how recovery is going, so here we go.  This will definitely be the last post with “American River 50” in the title… I know, it’s about time!

Last week included a whole lot of nothing.

AR50 Recovery

I am a big believer in taking time off after an A race.  This time it wasn’t as easy as after a hard marathon, because I wasn’t that sore, but I knew that my body and mind needed a break after a long training cycle and a long race.

So, I self mandated 7 days off of running.  The first few days weren’t that hard because I was just really tired, but come Friday, I really wanted to run!  I almost went, but I knew that I should just stick with my 7 days off, so I did.

Not only does the body need rest after a long training cycle and tough race, but the mind needs it, possibly more!  I think one of the best ways I have found to avoid burnout is to take a break before you need one.  Taking time off after a big race, when you are all amped and really want to run, is a great way to rest your mind and get refreshed.  I have learned this lesson the hard way.

So last week I was very lazy.  I ate a lot of candy.  I drank some wine.  It was wonderful.

Then Sunday, fresh off of crewing inspiration, I went on a trail run and was rewarded with an incredibly beautiful day.

DSC_0022

It was warm, it was green, there were flowing creeks to cross.  It was perfect.

My IT band has been a little cranky since AR50, so I stopped the run at 6 miles.  I am sure I had a smile on my face as big as I did 8 days prior.  It was good to be back on the trails.

After my run, I grabbed my camera and walked around for a while, taking pictures of my happy place, while enjoying the sunshine.

DSC_0045

All in all, recovery has gone very well.  If my IT band wasn’t whispering to me, I would say I feel perfect.  But since it is, I am going to make sure to take it easy, listen to my body’s signals and try to be patient.  It’s not the easiest thing to do when I just want to go out and do a long run on the trails, but I know I will be soon enough.

DSC_0103

, , , ,

11 Responses to American River 50: Recovery Week

1. Carrie April 16, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

Great that you are taking it easy – hope your IT band works its issues out!

2. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy April 16, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

I’m so looking forward to a week off of running after the Eugene Marathon. Recovery is sometimes harder than the training, mentally.

3. James April 16, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

Enjoy your well earned recovery!

4. Kelly April 17, 2012 at 5:13 am #

my gosh it is so gorgeous there, Aron! I admire you for sticking with your recovery plan and taking it easy, and recognizing you need a mental break (as well as physical). Hope your IT band calms itself down soon so you can be back out in full force!

5. greengirlrunning April 17, 2012 at 11:40 am #

Those pictures remind me of a trail run I did this weekend… Palomarin Trail to Alamere Falls. Not so much that it looks the same (Palomarin trail is in Bolinas and the waterfall is on the beach! You should check it out… a fantastic 9ish mile run!) but the green lushness and beauty of the area. A perfect weekend for being out on the trails! Have you had IT band issues before? I’m having new trouble with mine since Napa Valley Marathon, and it only seems to flare up in races or speed work. Do you have any tricks other than the usual icing, rolling, etc.? Good for you taking ti e to recover!

• Aron April 17, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

Yes I have had it before but don’t have any fancy tricks besides those you mentioned :)

6. allpointswhole April 18, 2012 at 8:15 am #

I absolutely cannot wait to trail run. I come here for inspiration everyday

7. Meagan @ Managing Meagan April 18, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

Way to go taking it easy! You deserve the break! Hope the IT band feels better!!

8. Fair Weather Runner April 18, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

that’s awesome! congrats on your 50-miler, and good for you taking a break and listening to your body. i think you are a great example for the running community :) and those trails look amazing!

9. Lizzy April 18, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Your body is amazing…only a little ITB pain after 50-miles of racing, gahh you are a ROCKSTAR!!!
    I can’t wait to see you in SLO this weekend! :)
    xoxo!

1. Patience | runner's rambles - April 25, 2012

[...] the race, I took a week off of running.  My muscles felt great, I was eager to run, but I made myself wait a full 7 days before [...]