Taper Observations

Today is one week until AR50!

I have been surprisingly calm the last week or two.  Usually during this time in taper I am not the most pleasant person to be around.  I am cranky, irritable and pretty much crazy.

I remember tapering for one marathon in particular where I would cry over the silliest things and I have no idea why.  I was so full of anxiety and nerves and just would cry, and I am not a crier!  When people would ask me if I was excited for my race, I would kind of get mad and irritated and just grunt some answer back.  Sheesh Aron!  I was ridiculous.

photo3

This time though it’s different… so so different.  I am actually truly excited!  I am looking forward to race day and seeing what my body can do.  I am anxious to see what it feels like to run 35 and 45 and 50 miles.  I am excited to see everything come together and see all the hard work pay off.

Of course I am a little nervous, but it’s a much different kind of nervous than I had before.  I feel more confident and I haven’t for one second doubted my training.  I know it’s going to be one of the hardest things I have ever done, but I still think there will be an element of fun and enjoyment to it all.  I know I am ready and it’s a good feeling.

I think knowing that I will never get this first one back, just like that first marathon, is making me savor every second.  I didn’t know what I was getting into with crossing that first marathon finish line, but this time I feel like I have more of an idea of what crossing that finish line will come with.  There is something so different about doing something for the very first time.  That is the part I had been missing with marathon training over the last year and that is what I was looking for, and found, with this ultra-training.

This past week instead of being anxious over not running like I normally am, I feel good about it.  I know my body was tired and beat up, and I can feel it getting better every single day.  I feel good right now and know that in a couple of days I will be raring to go!  I am sure next week I will have ants in my pants, but at least during race week, you know you get to go run them out very soon.

photo4

I have started putting all my stuff together and tomorrow I get to meet with my crew to discuss all the nitty gritty details.  It’s all coming together!  I won’t be wishing these next 7 days by, I will just continue to enjoy the moments leading up to this race and enjoy every painful, amazing second while I am in it.

, , ,

14 Responses to Taper Observations

1. Marlene March 31, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

You and your travelling toaster. :)

ONE WEEK TO GO! You are so ready. Definitely savor this last week. You only get one first 50 miler… but I’m sure there are going to be other milestones in your future. ;)

• Aron March 31, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

Haha YES it goes everywhere with me :) love that you caught that!

2. allpointswhole March 31, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

What a great attitude during taper! Can not wait to read the race report. You will love it, I’m sure!

3. Carrie March 31, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

Wow – one week left! I just cannot wait to read all about it!

4. Michelle March 31, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

Oh Aron! I think that as we do more of these races, we learn to savor and be patient….to trust the process. You are READY. Have toaster, will travel. I wouldn’t expect anything less! Will be counting down these 7 days with you!

5. Megan March 31, 2012 at 5:08 pm #

Have you decided on the pack over the handhelds? And do you have a goal time?

Good luck staying calm and relaxed this week! :)

• Aron April 2, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

Yah I am pretty sure I will wear the hydrapak pack but I am bringing my handhelds to give my crew just incase my pack is making me crazy ;) over preprared? probably!

6. Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef March 31, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

so excited for you!!

7. Amanda March 31, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

So exciting. Glad to hear it’s all going well!

8. XLMIC March 31, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

What a great taper you’re having! Matches perfectly with the whole training cycle and your continually awesome outlook on the whole process! AR50 is going to blow your mind :) Cannot wait!

9. Jan April 1, 2012 at 7:50 am #

Enjoy the taper! I can’t wait to hear about the race.

10. Yo Momma Runs April 1, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

Good luck in your race. That training plan shows that you are ready!

11. SkinnyRunner April 1, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

reading this just makes me want to go run an ultra! cant wait to hear all about your race.

12. Allen (notthatlucas) April 2, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

That toaster was the first thing I noticed – too cool! I can’t wait to read about your race; you are so ready that you must be vibrating with pent-up energy. Lots of deep breaths – it will be here before you know it. Enjoy the event!