Race Report: 2012 Way Too Cool 50k

I have wanted to run an ultra-marathon for a very long time.  I first started talking about it on the blog at the beginning of 2010, but it was probably in my head way before that.  I really thought I would run one that spring, but nothing worked out with my schedule so it didn’t happen.  Then 2011 came and went again with no ultra.

I always knew I could run one if I wanted, but I wanted to train right and choose one that I was really excited about.  Plus I kept getting distracted by marathons and didn’t want to mess up my training with a 50k.

Then I decided to run AR50, a 50 miler no less, having never run a 50k.  I figured I would love the training and planned to throw in a 50k or two during my training cycle as training runs.  But still, to be training for a big ultra-marathon without ever having run one, has definitely played some mental games along the way and I was excited to finally break through that barrier.

Saturday March 10th was the day.  Way Too Cool 50k is a race I have had my eyes on for years, but again hadn’t ever done.  I was so excited to finally get to run a real ultra, but was a little nervous since my legs were rather cranky all week from all the miles I have been pounding out for AR50 training.  Jojo and I drove up to Auburn the night before the race where we ordered pizza, iced and rolled our tired legs, watched Unbreakable and tried to get some rest before the big day.

Saturday morning came quickly and we got up and moving right on time.  We were checked out of our hotel and in the car before 6:15 to make the drive over to Cool, CA where the race would start.  We got there at a great time but still missed the parking lot by one car!  We started the parking that lines the street and actually still ended up with a prime time spot.

That’s my car mirror and that’s the start line.
IMG_0826

We went and picked up our packets and shirts and hit up the bathrooms for the first time, then went back to my car to keep warm.  My stomach was full of butterflies and I was definitely getting nervous, in a good way.

IMG_0823

The time passed quickly and pretty soon we were heading back to the bathrooms one last time.  We were putting our packs on at my car with 20 seconds to the start and hurried over right as the gun went off.  It was time to run!

WTC Course

The course does an 8 mile loop that comes back to the start, then another 23 mile loop.  The first mile or 2 were on roads, and after that it was all trails… most of the trails were single track too!  I was SO happy to be running on trails after missing them very much last weekend.  The dirt felt so soft on my feet and the new scenery around us made the miles fly by.

The first 8 mile loop was pretty crowded, but it was good.  We were running a good, conservative place and the people around us kept us in check.  We cruised along through a couple of stream crossings and chatted along.  I started taking my Shot Bloks right on schedule at mile 2 and eat a couple every couple miles for the remainder of the race.  I was feeling good and very excited to be out there.

We were back at the start in no time and I took a PB&J square at that aid station, then we were off for the big loop!

Can you spot us?
WTC 017
(source)

The weather was perfect and I was very happy in my tank top and shorts.  I had been nervous that it would get hot out there, but there always seemed to be a breeze that would show up anytime I got warm.

WTC 004

We made our way along the trails, having fun, chatting and enjoying the run and the miles just kept flying by.  Before I knew it, we were crossing Highway 49 into and at another aid station.

WTC 001
(source)

One thing I love about ultras and trail races is that the aid stations are usually every 4-5 miles and are great ways to mentally break up the race.  I didn’t take much to eat at this one and just kept running along.  I was so impressed by every single aid station and all of the volunteers.  One thing I have really worked at since becoming a trail runner is being very thankful of the volunteers and I try to never leave a station without thanking them. They are SO amazing for being out there.

WTC 005

I wore my new Hydrapak Elite Vest to test out on a longer run and in a race.  I knew since it holds less water than my bigger pack I would have to refill it a couple times so I wanted to test out the logistics of that during a race.  I refilled it at mile 15 to be safe since I was running low and it worked out perfectly!

IMG_0841

The miles were just blending together at this point and passing so fast.  I felt really good told Jojo that I felt SO much better than I did when we were half way through our tough 28 miler a few weeks back.  Along with running great, we were having some great conversations and even planned out my race plan for AR50!  It was a productive race.

We continued to run really strong and got back onto single track trails that were a little crowded.  We were able to maneuver our way around most people when we wanted and used them to help hold our pace a little bit too.  I could tell Jojo was having a lower point, so I just continued to run ahead and knew she would feel better soon.  When you run enough long runs with people, you really start to know their habits and can tell without saying anything how the other is feeling.

IMG_0840

It was getting a little warmer, but there was a lot of shade that helped.  We hit some pretty crowded spots on the Western States Trail (yes a good part of the course was on the Western States Trail!!) but were able to get around most people.

WTC 009

At this point I was feeling really good and I felt like you could tell that Jojo and I have been training for a 50 because we were running really strong in the late miles.  We had big smiles on our faces, were charging up some hills and still talking the whole time.

Neither one of us really knew what to expect from the course.  We hadn’t studied the map and didn’t really know much about it.  The course had been pretty much runnable for us the whole time at this point, with a couple hills we would hike up to conserve energy.  We had heard people talking about “goat hill” and weren’t sure where it was, but it showed up during mile 25.  It wasn’t that long but it was super steep and we both powered up to the top.

WTC Evelvation2

Once you made it to the top you were at the 26.5 aid station which we used as our last big fuel up.  I had been eating boiled potatoes in salt and drinking a cup of soda at most stops and continued that here.  Soda on trail runs is my new favorite thing!  I felt like my fueling was right on target and was very happy with it.  We got sponged down by some little kids too which felt great.  We ran out of there feeling really strong and ready to tackle the last few miles.

At one point, we came out into this open space and I gasped out loud from the view of the mountains and everything around us.  It was so beautiful and I felt so happy and lucky to be running out there this day.

WTC 016

Around mile 27 I looked at my watch and did some quick calculations and told Jojo that we had X amount of time to run X miles to come in under 6 hours, which was very feasible where we were at.  She had just thought the same thing, but didn’t want to jinx it, but we both knew we now had a little goal and we kept on holding strong.

We passed mile 28 and I was now into my longest run ever!  I was definitely feeling tired at this point and not quite as talkative but I still felt pretty strong.  We ran through the last aid station and had 1.4 miles to go!

There was another tough hill in that last 1.4 mile section that we made our way up passing people left and right.  Even when I wasn’t running, I was hiking hard and feeling good.  We made it up to the top of the hill and knew we were almost done.  We were talking and smiling and I told her how happy I was with this day and this run.  I felt like I could keep going if I had to and had by far exceeded my expectations for the day.

We rounded the corner together and the finish line was straight ahead.  I was now an official ultra-marathoner!

IMG_0829

50km (31.05 miles)/5:50:52/11:18 avg pace

We both felt great after and walked around chatting with friends, and of course stopped to eat pizza and the famous frog cupcake to celebrate.

IMG_0836

We hung out for a while and helped take a bunch of stuff down as the race was coming to a close.  The trail running community is so great and it’s so fun to get further involved with it.  At most of these races I recognize a lot of people now and have a bunch of friends at, it’s so fun!  It was a long, but amazing day and I am still smiling thinking about it.  I just feel so happy and so proud of myself for feeling so strong the whole time.

I may have also signed up for their new inaugural all women’s trail race at the finish area, She Rocks the Trails, this summer.  You know how it works, finish your first 50k, sign up for another one!  All the bay area women need to sign up!

SRTT

On the drive home I was talking to Jojo about how great I feel right now and how many great feelings I have towards that race that I can’t fully express here.

NorCal Ultras also puts on AR50, so I am so excited to have been able to experience one of their races before the big one.  They really are first class events with great organization, swag, volunteers and courses and I am so excited to get to be a part of another one soon.

I have all these happy, confident, strong feelings in Auburn now, and left them there Saturday.  The finish line for AR50 is also in Auburn so it is such a mental confidence booster to have all these positive feelings there and know I will be back to get them in 4 weeks!

, , , , ,

41 Responses to Race Report: 2012 Way Too Cool 50k

1. Turi March 11, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

Perfect pre-ultra movie choice. And great job out there. You’re so ready for AR50.

2. Sandy March 11, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

Congratulations to both of you! You seemed to be pretty strong throughout the whole run and that is great! Good luck on your next race!

3. PavementRunner March 11, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

Love it. Sub-6 is phenomenal. Way to run AND finish strong. Cheers on your first Ultra.

4. Alisyn March 11, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

Loved reading this recap! Congrats again on such a fabulous 1st Ultra experience…You are amazing! I don’t know if I was too focused on filling up water bottles, but I was so looking forward to seeing you girls at the Mile 8 water station! Maybe I looked right at you and because I took off my glasses didn’t see you. Regardless, I was bummed I missed you!

5. Kamaile March 11, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

You both are awesome, great job!

6. Kristen March 11, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

Congratulations Aron. What a great first ultra – and I hope Auburn continues to treat you well!

7. Kristy March 11, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

Congrats! Sounds like an amazing race and course!

8. abbi March 11, 2012 at 5:12 pm #

Loved reading your recap, sounds like you had a great time and are going to be super ready for AR50!

9. Alyssa March 11, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

This is soooo awesome — I am beyond happy for you! CONGRATS!! What a feat to have felt great the entire time, too. And sub-6 to boot?!! YOU ARE AMAZING! Please carry all your good feelings and happy trail running thoughts on to AR50!!

And did you just try to get me to sign up for 50k trial race?! Don’t think I didn’t see you slip that in there.

10. XLMIC March 11, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

Just so super cool, Aron! You look so strong and happy running an ultra! Looking forward to reading about the next big one :)

11. Page March 11, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

I can literally feel how happy your are throughout reading this post. I’m so proud of you and so happy that you are checking things off of your list with flying colors. Congratulations, Aron. You are amazing.

12. Marlene March 11, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

CONGRATS ultra-marathoner! You earned that strong race and all the great feeling that came along with it. Ride that high all the way to AR50!

13. Jo Lynn March 11, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

Run, run, blah, blah……

How was the cupcake?

Muah!!!! <3

14. cindylu March 11, 2012 at 10:08 pm #

Wow. It’s been really neat to follow your weekly updates and seeing your hard work pay off. Congrats to you and Jojo for killing it out there on the trails.

15. Layla March 11, 2012 at 10:43 pm #

This was a fun read! It was like I was there but without being on my feet for all those miles. ;-) Congratulations on a great race! I’ve been itching to run trails again, so I might just be on my way to click that trail race link up there…

16. Christina March 12, 2012 at 3:23 am #

Can you do a review on your hydration packs? I plan to start trail running when I move to the mountains in a few months- and I’m looking for some good gear.

Thanks!

17. Laura March 12, 2012 at 5:37 am #

Congrats! You are putting so much into your training and it is certainly paying off.

18. diana March 12, 2012 at 6:02 am #

Aron, you rock! All the training is certainly paying off. Well done. Looked like a beautiful trail too!

19. Runner26 March 12, 2012 at 6:12 am #

Way to go Aron! Congrats on your first ultra! One of my best friends also did that race / it sounds like a really “cool” one to do ;)

20. Naomi March 12, 2012 at 7:15 am #

You continue to amaze and inspire – Congratulations!

21. Kelly March 12, 2012 at 7:37 am #

congratulations, Aron!! Amazing, awesome job and it looks like you had a ball doing it. You make me want to try an ultra someday! :)

22. Denise March 12, 2012 at 7:56 am #

:-) :-) :-)

so happy for you! you did great and you loved it!! welcome to the ultra club!

23. Billy March 12, 2012 at 8:42 am #

This race report right here encompasses most of what I love about trail/ultra races + the community. Terrific job nailing your 1st 50K Aron (from a fellow boiled potato/coke lover).

24. shelly March 12, 2012 at 9:10 am #

Super Sweet your first 50k and you go sub-6! That is setting the bar! I knew your training was really going well. You are going to do amazingly well in your 50. Keep that ultra high going right up to that “big” start line. Congrats!

25. Morgan March 12, 2012 at 9:24 am #

WELL FREAKING DONE GIRL! You have such a spotworthy running pose, shoulders pulled back nice and straight! You are def on your way to 50 MILES!

26. Sima March 12, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Congratulations Aron..official ultra-marathon runner and sub 6 finisher!! As I’ve said all along, you are so ready for AR50, your dedication and mental stamina alone proves that. Keep up the good work!

27. Allen (notthatlucas) March 12, 2012 at 10:40 am #

It was so great to meet you there – I can’t believe you hung around more than 2.5 hours after your race! You are going to rock that AR 50! BTW, did you know that Gordy (WS100 fame) was at the race? He passed me before the 21 mile aid station, but I didn’t know it was him until later (there’s a great picture another runner took in my report). Congrats on a stunning first ultra!

28. The Blonde March 12, 2012 at 11:29 am #

You’ve gotten me SO excited for my fall 50k! Yay!

29. Ricole Runs March 12, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Congratulations! This is truly such an accomplishment! And what a confidence boost to feel great the whole time! With beautiful views an single track to boot! Sounds like a fabulous day.

30. Ali March 12, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

Congratulations, Ultra-Marathoner! I am so happy for you!! It has been such a pleasure following your training toward the AR50, and this is another exciting step along the way. You make me want to run an ultra…uh oh! Hope you’re celebrating today!

31. Jess @ Blonde Ponytail March 12, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

WOW! Aron this is awesome–such an amazing accomplishment that you set out to do! Congratulations! You are an ultrarunner!!!!

32. macnic March 12, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

Great report and race. Congrats on your first Ultra!

33. Running Girl March 13, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment! Your post was so motivating – I was looking up trail runs while I was reading it. :-)

34. Christine March 14, 2012 at 3:38 am #

Congratulations!!!! What a huge accomplishment!!

35. Jocelyn March 14, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

Congratulations!!! That is amazing! So inspiring!

36. Rachel March 15, 2012 at 10:33 pm #

ahhh this brought back so many good memories! goat hill….gah : / congrats to you on your first ultra and such a well-executed and strong race. you’ve certainly put in the hard work! can’t wait to see how you do at AR : )

37. allpointswholefuture allpointswhole March 17, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

That s seriously so exciting…I love it!!

1. American River 50: Week 14 | runner's rambles - March 12, 2012

[...] known as my first ultra-marathon!!!!  I am still smiling about this [...]

2. Race Report: 2012 American River 50, Part 2 | runner's rambles - April 9, 2012

[...] mile 30 I told her that I felt way better at this point than I had at Way Too Cool and I felt good at that race!  I felt very in control, very happy and pretty energetic for [...]

3. Race Report: 2012 ITR Folsom Lake 50k | runner's rambles - October 29, 2012

[...] sure what my overall time was going to be, but it ended up being about 13 minutes faster than Way Too Cool, my other “official” [...]

4. Race Report: 2013 Way Too Cool 50k | runner's rambles - March 11, 2013

[...] 2012 I ran Way Too Cool 50k as my first official ultra, but mostly it was a long training run for AR50.  I still remember driving back from Auburn [...]