Marathon Eve?

Tomorrow I will run my 13th marathon – the Napa Valley Marathon!

I am really excited for this race.  This is one of our more local races that I have always wanted to run, but it sadly has never fit in to my schedule very well.  When I decided to train for AR50 and made my training plan, I was excited to see that this marathon fit right in and I could finally run it!

The bag you get as your check/swag bag NVM may or may not have been one of the reasons it’s been on my list forever.IMG_0753

I have a bunch of friends also running this race and have watched them taper and carb load all week.  Today they are resting their legs, watching movies, trying to keep the race nerves under control… you know like any good marathoner should.

This marathon eve looks quite a bit different for me.  There was most definitely carb loading, but there was no sleeping in and resting my legs.  Instead my marathon eve was pretty much the opposite.

Friday night, like every other Friday the last couple months, my alarm was set, my clothes were set out, and my Garmin was charged.  I had a long run today!

I met up with Layla around 8 which was so great.  She had about 8 miles to run and it got me out the door at a specific time and place.  Lately the first 6 or so miles of my long run are just kind of tough.  It takes me a bit to settle in and find my groove, so it was really nice to have company those miles.  We did a paved loop and chatted the whole time, I was very thankful for a running buddy!

We said goodbye and I set out on my own.  I did a few more paved miles back to my car where I changed into my new trail shoes, put on my hydration pack and ran to the trails.  It was a warm, sunny day and I could definitely tell.  I got into a little bit of a funk around 14 miles, but it didn’t take long to get out of it once I was in my happy place.

IMG_0766

I wound around the trails, enjoying the sunshine and the dirt under my feet.  I made sure to keep it easy thinking about my marathon the next day and just cruised along.  I was eating Shot Bloks every 2 miles and took a salt cap every hour.  I felt stronger and stronger as I went.

IMG_0755

Pretty soon I had to turn around and head back to my car.  I continued to feel good and was so happy I was finishing this long run feeling so great.  I thought about AR50 and how it’s getting so close.  I thought about Napa tomorrow and how I am so excited to run it, but more excited for my friends who have been training so hard to go race fast tomorrow.  I thought about my goals for tomorrow and how I want to tackle the race.  I thought about how I only have 2 weeks left before taper!

I got to my car with almost 25 miles for the day.  If you would have told me last year I would be running that far the day before the Napa Marathon I would tell you you were ridiculous, but that’s not the case anymore!

IMG_0768

I came home and refueled right away, then got my stuff ready to go for tomorrow so I can rest and recover a tad.

IMG_0776

I have a couple goals for tomorrow:

• Practice pacing!  AR50 starts off flat and on road and I need to practice holding myself back.  Doing that in a road race is definitely going to be good practice.
  • Finish strong!  I want to pace myself well enough that I feel better than I have ever felt at mile 25 of a marathon.
  • Practice fueling!  I have been really good about my fueling frequency lately and I want to make sure that I fuel well tomorrow, especially since it will be a warm day.
  • Have fun!  I have been having so much fun running and feel like I always have a smile on my face.  I want to make sure that continues tomorrow.

I have no time goals for tomorrow, it could easily be my slowest (non trail) marathon ever and that is ok!   This is a “training run” for me after all and not a race.  As long as I complete the above, I will be a happy girl.

Now I am off to prop my feet up and get some rest.

, ,

12 Responses to Marathon Eve?

1. Kamaile March 3, 2012 at 4:18 pm #

Have fun! Looking forward to your recap.

2. Claudine March 3, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

We’re here in Napa as well – my husband is running his first-ever marathon and here you are running your 13th that’s just a “training run.” So amazing and awesome! Have a fantastic run tomorrow! If I see you at the finish (though you’ll probably finish way before he will) I’ll come to say hello.

3. greengirlrunning March 3, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

That’s incredible! I can’t even begin to imagine training the way you have been, but it inspires me to no end. So excited to run tomorrow (your 13th, my first!)! Today we actually drove the course (I like to know what to expect) and on the way back I saw someone runnng along hwy 29 who I swore was you for a second! Have a fantastic race tomorrow… maybe we’ll run (ha ha) into eachother :)

4. Ricole Runs March 3, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

Good luck tomorrow!! Another truly amazing weekend of running!

5. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy March 3, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

Aron, that is so impressive. Can’t wait to hear how the back to back 25/26 milers go. But of course I know you’ll feel strong with all the running you’ve been doing. Have fun!

6. Shannon @ Mon Amour March 3, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

It’s amazing how much can change in a year! I love reading about your training and can’t wait to hear this weekend goes!

7. Stacey March 3, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

First off, those pictures are incredible!!! I see why you enjoy trail running as much as you do! Secondly, good luck on your marathon tomorrow!! Finally, I love that part of your desire to run the marathon was the sweet bag! I was influenced on one of my half marathons upcoming due to the awesome shirt! Seriously, best shirt ever!! Anyways, good luck!!

8. RoadBunner March 3, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

You don’t need it, but good luck tomorrow! The course is beautiful and you’ll enjoy it. p.s. You got a 310XT!

9. David Lent March 3, 2012 at 7:49 pm #

Great run Aron! It was nice to read your blog before the big day tomorrow. I will say hello if I recognize you!

The seminars today raised goosebumps. The video of dick Beardsley and Alberto Salazar dueling in the sun was especially emotional with both dick and his coach bill squires in the room. Everyone was cheering for Dick! Phenomenal moment

Rich Benyo said they will post
    Video of coach Squires talk on the nvm website

Oh…and Amby Burfoot too!

Have a great training run!!!

10. kristen March 4, 2012 at 9:20 am #

lol…I feel like every time I tune in here and catch up your either getting ready to run a marathon the next day, or just ran one the day before. Ultra training!

I hope things are going well for you. You seem to be doing great! Honestly, I haven’t been reading up on your blog too much lately because your doing SO MUCH running! and my life is so far away from that right now. I’m lucky just to get in 12 good miles/week. I still enjoy hearing about your training, but I’ll probably enjoy it even more when I’m back at it myself :)

11. Jojo March 4, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

Such an incredible week/weekend- congrats on all of the mileage, you’re SO CLOSE! :-)

12. Marlene March 5, 2012 at 1:32 pm #