To The Top

My good friend Kerry is sadly moving away in a couple of months, but the awesome part is she has created a “Bay Area Bucket List” of things she wants to do and see before she leaves.  She has been checking them off left and right and I was lucky enough to get to join her Sunday in checking off one of her items that has also been on my list for a while now.

Summitting Mt. Diablo!

IMG_0740

I have been close, both on foot and on bike wheels, but never had I been all the way to the top.  This Sunday with Kerry by my side, I was determined to get there.

We drove over to my favorite secret trail head and began our climb up the mountain.  We ran where we could, walked hiked the tough sections, caught up on our busy lives and enjoyed yet another amazingly beautiful bay area day.

IMG_0714

I took her on a route I had been before with Chris, but that day I went with Chris we turned around before going all the way up.  I had my map and checked it a few times, but it felt good to pretty much know where I was going!  I am getting a hang of this trail running stuff.

IMG_0717

We continued winding up the mountain through the shaded single track and every so often would get peaks of how far we had come.

We started way down there!IMG_0721

Then finally, after miles of climbing, we were near the end!

IMG_0727

We made the last mile+ climb up to the very top and were greeted with tons of cars and tourists all who had driven all the way up.  It felt good to know we got there on foot.

IMG_0745

It was a perfect clear day and we had amazing panoramic views of the Bay Area.  We could even see all the way to the Golden Gate Bridge!

IMG_0732

Then we had to go all the way back down.  My quads threw a couple tantrums but it was fun to go down the mountain this time.  We took a slightly different route back and ended up with a great 10 mile loop.

It was so much fun to get to be with Kerry to cross off something off her list.  Her approach to her move has really made me want to take advantage of everything the Bay has to offer.  Sometimes we get lost in our day to day activities and forget to truly take advantage of what is around us.  And here in the Bay Area we are so lucky to be surrounded by so much beauty and nature literally in our backyards.

I cannot wait to go charge back up the mountain and I cannot wait to start tackling my own Bay Area Bucket List.

, , ,

17 Responses to To The Top

1. Theresa February 27, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

Don’t know if you remember, but I had asked you back in December about Mt D trails. I ranhiked to the summit from the North Gate at the end of last year, it was a great experience and so much fun! I didn’t run down though, had a friend meet me at the top with my bike and rode my bike back down, wheeee! congrats!

• Aron February 27, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

Yes I remember!!! So fun! I know the mountain much better now than I did then :)

2. Ricole Runs February 27, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

That is amazing. What a fun day. How long did it take you to do the whole hike? This bucket list is a great idea – there are tons of things to do in my area that I have never done!

3. Bonnie February 27, 2012 at 7:59 pm #

What a great idea! Sad to hear your friend’s moving away, but how neat that she’s inspired you to make your own Bay Area bucket list! Seeing those oh-so-familiar views sure made me lonesome for Mt. Diablo…it was in my daily sight all growing up! Thanks for sharing those pictures, and what a fun and memorable day!

4. PavementRunner February 27, 2012 at 8:51 pm #

I am super jealous I’ve driven up there but never on foot. I can see it from here and feel like it is taunting me to do it. LOL. Kudos kid.

5. Rena @ milehogger.blogspot.com February 27, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

I’ve always been a so Cal person, but your blog totally makes me want to try to find a job in the bay area.

6. Shut Up and Run February 28, 2012 at 5:02 am #

Is that your QUAD in that picture??? Gorgeous!!

We might be heading to San Fran this summer for a vacation. I’ll need to pick your brain about running spots like this one.

7. Denise February 28, 2012 at 6:50 am #

it’s true…you become accustomed to the place you live and it can be easy to take things for granted. your area looks absolutely beautiful…go explore every inch of it!

8. Kristen February 28, 2012 at 7:13 am #

Looks like a wonderful way to spend the day. In shorts…on a mountain…in February. A little bit of me hates you right now as I stare out at the snow :)
    I guess I’ll have to make my own Montreal area bucket list. (Though running up our “mountain” isn’t nearly as challenging…since it is runnable…no hiking required)

9. Marlene February 28, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

Congrats on a big milestone! Good for you making an effort to see more of what your city has to offer. I am definitely inspired to find out what I have been missing out on around here… although I also want to come hang out in SF. haha

10. Shanna February 28, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

What a great idea! I’m from the bay area and i just got moved back here again for work. (I was transferred to Oregon for 1.5years) so I’m very familiar with the “must-do-before-i-leave” list. I’m curious – what else is on her Bay Area list?

11. acai berry france June 25, 2013 at 4:47 am #

Le Йthйrй Acai Berry Max renfort a la perte en tenant charge, detoxifie ameliore le metabolisme.

L’origine 100% naturelle est bizarre gage prиs bon fonctionnement,
    effets secondaires alors tout oui qu’un orange a.
    Le Sain Acai Berry Max orient l’un vrais pointe supplements
    alimentaires dont circulent avec vrais commentaires entierement
    positifs. C’est pourquoi ceci garanti avec remboursement d’argent
    qu’il donne levant chez plus grands qui existent.
    Si l’objectif est avec user du masse facilement chez rempli securite celui-ci orient rempli simplement la meilleure dйnouement.

Si malgrй rare raisonnement quelconque vous n’etes foulйe satisfait, toi avez 180 jours prиs
    acheter complet votre .

12. lose weight videos July 16, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four e-mails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
    Bless you!

13. metal Detector Videos October 22, 2013 at 1:13 pm #

It’s very straightforward to find out any matter on net as compared to textbooks, as I found this piece
    of writing at this site.

14. Dillon February 12, 2014 at 2:08 pm #

It’s awesome to pay a visit this website and reading the views of
    all mates concerning this piece of writing, while
    I am also keen of getting familiarity.

15. gloriousentrant56.soup.io April 5, 2014 at 7:27 am #

On va te ɗire que ce n’est guèrе inϲohérent !

1. Top The Top, Again | runner's rambles - August 20, 2012

[...] in February, I took my friend Kerry to the top of Mt. Diablo as part of her Bay Area Bucket list.  I [...]