Magic

I have to admit that after yesterday’s 24 mile run, I was a little intimidated about going out and running long again. 18 miles long.

Actually 18 hilly trail miles long.

There were most definitely points in yesterday’s run where I highly questioned my ability to run 50 miles on April 7th. 24 miles felt hard, and that wasn’t even quite half of 50. It’s scary!

But I have a mantra I have been repeating to myself when things get a little scary or I get intimidated by looking ahead.  I just tell myself one day at a time.

I am doing my best to stay in today’s run, to not worry about tomorrow’s, and to not get freaked out by thinking about 2 months down the road just yet.

One day at a time.

So that’s what I did.  Last night I refueled and got to bed extra early.  In bed at 8pm on a Friday night? Definitely what all the cool people are doing.

I woke up this morning and had a sense of déjà vu… coffee, toast, Clif bar, packing my things, getting dressed… it was long run day again!

I had plans to meet Jojo and run in Redwood Park.  Redwood Park is one of my most favorite places to run.  It’s one of the very first places that I went trail running!

DSC04997
Picture circa 2009 when JoLynn was introducing me to the trails.  I will forever credit her for my love of single track trails.

On the ride over I talked about my run yesterday and Jojo told me about her week of running as well.  It’s been so nice to have someone to talk with who is going through the same things.  I was tired, but mostly I was excited to get some dirt under my feet and run around the Oakland hills. We arrived at the trail head, parked, got our stuff ready, checked the map and started running.

Then the magic happened.

My legs didn’t feel like death. Sure they were tired, but they were fine. We had a huge hill to climb right off the bat and after that we both warmed up and cruised along constantly talking about anything and everything. We ran on some familiar trails I had been on before and took some new ones too. We got lost a couple times, but found our way.

Feb 002a

The further we went, the more magical it got.

The soft dirt felt great on my tired feet.  The huge redwood trees created perfect running temperatures.  The green moss was florescent against the dark dirt.  These trails are the best.

The further we ran the better my legs felt.  My stomach never hurt like it did yesterday and I never felt low on energy.  I ate a peanut butter sandwich for the first time, drank a lot of water, took my salt caps and shot bloks and everything just clicked.

Before I knew it, we were closing in on 18 miles (with over 3100 feet of elevation gain) and I didn’t feel done. Sure, I was tired, but not spent must-stop-running now tired or even close. You have no idea how extremely encouraging and happy this made me, especially after yesterday’s tough run.

AR50 Week9b

Another milestone crossed with my longest back to back runs so far and I finished feeling like I could do more.

Magic I tell you.

There is magic in the hills, magic in friends and most definitely magic in running.

, , ,

14 Responses to Magic

1. Marlene February 4, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

Beauty run!! Amazing to run so well the day after 24… hello that is almost a marathon! And was longer than a marathon in time! Awesome confidence booster! Happy Saturday.

Rest tomorrow???

2. shelly February 4, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

Today I am very jealous of your lastest runs. I don’t like to complain about family time because I know there needs to be some consideration given to priorities but some weekends it’s hard to not feel like my goals are nobody’s priority. So I am honestly living through your wonderful post. Thanks for sharing it.

We are having a big snow storm so maybe I won’t have done my long run even if the family had supported it but I am eager to get out on the trails and feel that magic too.

3. Krissy February 4, 2012 at 6:11 pm #

I am just in awe of all the beautiful places you have to run! You are a great ambassador for the state of California :) You are making me want to move there!!! Awesome run….you are an inspiration!

4. Ricole Runs February 4, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

That’s great! So glad you had a redeeming run after yesterday! And to feel magical after running 24 yesterday, you will be ready for 50 when the time comes! Nice work. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

5. Michelle February 4, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

Nature does amazing things. I also think that running with a nice pace helps. These are just so fun to read! (I know I say that EVERY time, but they are!)

6. Jessica February 4, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

oh my goodness, how beautiful and yes truly MAGICAL! i loved reading this. your mantra of one day at a time is so important to remember. i am working towards a big goal of my first BQ and i have to remember this too – one day at a time.
    your trails are so amazing!!

7. Petra February 4, 2012 at 10:51 pm #

Great going there Aron – fantastic achievement!

8. The Blonde February 4, 2012 at 11:05 pm #

You are rocking this training! Nice double!

9. diana February 5, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

Awesome Aron!!! You are doing a great job!!!

10. Page February 5, 2012 at 8:51 pm #

It’s official – I want to go trail running with you now. So glad you are on running cloud 9.

11. Jamie February 5, 2012 at 11:27 pm #

Isn’t that the best feeling? I love trail running so much! Glad you are enjoying it’s magic. :)

12. Missy February 6, 2012 at 7:37 am #

Amazing!. I think I would love to run through the hills like that. Stunning.
    Great job on tackling those miles.
    Keep it up.

13. kristen February 6, 2012 at 8:30 am #

This is reminding me of half ironman training where you can’t look too far into the plan or else you will get freaked out at how much your doing. Also you have to think about your workout tomorrow during the workout today. Recovery, fueling, etc…it’s bigger than just a weekend long run.

your doing awesome girl! keep it up.

14. Christine February 9, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

You are so lucky to have so many runner friends who run trails with you!! Congrats on 2 strong running days :)