American River 50: Week 10

Each week my legs and body continue to surprise me and this week was no exception.

AR50 Week10

Monday
rest

My post about doing (or not doing) it all prompted me to want to make some changes to be “better” in a couple areas of my life, mainly my role as a dog-mom.  I made more of an effort this week with them, and I hope to continue this trend.

Stop watching TV and take me on a walk!
Feb 005

I didn’t just sit on my butt like usual!  I took Kylie and Emma for a leisurely walk around the neighborhood.  It felt so good to get some fresh air, to move my legs and to make my two favorite pups so happy.

Tuesday
am: 8 mile run
pm: 4 mile run

FINALLY got in my double day!  I have a double day on my schedule pretty much every week, but I never want to run when I get home.  This week I made it happen with the help of some running buddies.

I did my normal pre-work run with my co-workers on Tuesday morning, then that night I came home and Chris and I took Kylie for 2 miles and Emma for another 2.

7.9 miles/1:14:48/9:27 avg pace
4.1 miles/39:09/9:34 avg pace

Wednesday
11 mile run

I met up with the morning crew and ran with Kristin for a few miles and Sima for the rest.  I wasn’t sure if I was going to get all 11 in but once we got running, we just kept on going!

11.3 miles/1:43:00/9:07 avg pace

Thursday
7 mile run

This is the run I have been waiting for.  I have been running a lot, and while it’s all been relatively easy paced miles, I have been waiting for that run where I feel like I have bricks around my ankles.  Those bricks showed up on Thursday!  It seems kind of weird that I would be happy about this, but the point on my training plan is to get my legs tired and to run when I am tired.  I finally got there.

It did kind of make me nervous about the 2 days I had on tap.

7.0 miles/1:06:27/9:29 avg pace

Friday
20 mile run

Pre-work 20 miler!  The longest I had ever run before a day of work was 18 miles, and that was a couple years ago.  20 miles is a whole new ball game.

I got up really early, met up with my co-worker, drove to work (where I stated “we are officially insane”) and we were running by 6am.  We ran through the streets and Berkeley and into the Berkeley hills to run some trails!  This ended up being such a great unexpected run and we were both so happy to have it done.

AR50 Week10a

20.1 miles/3:25:23/10:13 avg pace

IMG_0640

Saturday
26 mile trail run

Golden Gate Trail Marathon!  A beautiful day in the Marin Headlands.

AR50 Week10b

26.2 miles/5:24:39/12:24 avg pace

Feb 004

Sunday
5 mile run

Run for Sherry

My legs felt surprisingly good and not sore, but I kept the pace super easy on my flat recovery run.

5.0 miles/49:52/9:58 avg pace

Total miles for Week 10: 81.6!

That’s another weekly mileage high my friends and the first time I have seen an 8 in the front of the week!

I have one more big week before I cut back for the last time, then 3 more big weeks before taper.  April 7th is getting closer!

8 weeks to go!

, , ,

19 Responses to American River 50: Week 10

1. Kara February 13, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

Wow, you are such a hard worker! 20 miles before work…you’re an inspiration. Way to go!

2. Ali February 13, 2012 at 8:47 pm #

damn girl! insane! I was stoked for my 23 miles this week… you kinda put me to shame LOL! I gotta ask…. what do you do for recovery? I use the dreaded stick and foam roller… it sucks! It seems not to help much, especially after my 10 mile trail run… any suggestions?

3. Ricole Runs February 13, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

That’s a freaking CRAZY amount of miles in one week! That’s like the amount I run in one MONTH! So I think you are the LAST person to be saying you didn’t just “sit on your butt like usual”! Incredible week!

4. Billy February 13, 2012 at 8:51 pm #

atta gal Aron – keep it going girl.

5. The Blonde February 14, 2012 at 5:28 am #

I am so impressed with you! Very well done! It’s posts like this where I wish I lived in CA to run with you! :)

It’s funny you call yourself a dog-mom. Nick calls himself a dog-dad with Chase. I guess that makes me the step-mom.

I wish I could do some of those long runs before work! I’d have to get up around 3am for that to happen. Ugh.

Yayayayayaya for 80+!!!!

6. Shut Up and Run February 14, 2012 at 6:08 am #

Wow, you are really holding up well and getting stronger. It’s really fun to see your progress. And very inspiring.

7. marlene February 14, 2012 at 7:15 am #

80 + miles and 14 + hours of running… my mind is officially blown!

8. Jen February 14, 2012 at 8:02 am #

Congrats on a record high-mileage week! You nailed this week, as usual, and are cruising through the peak part of your training. Hooray!

Good job taking the doggies out too! :)

Happy Valentine’s Day! ♥

9. Kristen February 14, 2012 at 8:49 am #

Awesome week! Hope you have a great one this week as well :)

10. shelly February 14, 2012 at 10:40 am #

I still can not get over that 20 mile pre-wrok run. That alone is crazy awesome…and of course following it up with a trail 26 mile is hard core!

11. Sneakers2sandals February 14, 2012 at 10:57 am #

You’re unbelievable!! Such motivation :) I wish I could run as much as you but one 13 miler leaves me w a messed up knee! Have you ever posted about your running form? I think I’m favoring one leg.

12. Rena @ milehogger.blogspot.com February 14, 2012 at 11:05 am #

Awesome! Keep it up!

13. Stuart February 14, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

Nice back to backs…it will be those that you will rely on race day!

14. Jamie February 14, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

Great miles!

15. Crusoe February 14, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

20 miles before work is impressively insane.

16. Jess @ Blonde Ponytail February 14, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

Holy miles Aron–but you have to do that if you want to run 50 adn 20 b4 work??! Your dog is adorable–I know the pangs of guilt when not walking your fur babies! My Coop needs his exercise so he gets an AM and PM one. Spoiled baby! :)

17. Sneha @ Geeky Runner February 14, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

Hey Aron,

I have been following your blog for a few weeks now. And all I can say is WOW! You are such an inspiration Aron. Your BQ story, Boston, and now the ultra prep prove you are awesome. A pre-work 20miler is super. I have done a pre-work 18 before but did not feel so great the rest of the day. I am amazed at how you can keep doing these back-to-back insane long runs. Your dedication is amazing and I hope you acheive all your goals in life, running and otherwise!

18. Claudine February 15, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

I can’t even begin to fathom running this much in a week! Wow. You’re amazing!