A Letter To My Legs

Feb 003

Dear leggies,

I know I have been asking a lot of you lately.  I have been very demanding and making you do things you have never done before.  Although you have been cranky a couple of times, a majority of the time, you stay strong and exceed my expectations.

I know it’s hard sometimes and I do ask crazy things of you, but I am just trying to get you to the start line on April 7th, as ready as you can be to rock your first 50 mile ultra-marathon.

This weekend you continued to amaze me.  We ran the longest distance and time we had ever ran on some super hilly terrain, and somehow you let me run a very strong 21 miler the next day.  That is 49 miles in 2 days!  You impressed me.

So I just wanted to say thank you.  Thank you a lot.

Thank you for being strong, for not giving out on me during these crazy back to back runs, and for allowing me to grow more confident in my ultra-marathon training every day.  Thank you for pushing through when you are tired and for simply making me proud.

In return, I will continue to rest you between runs, compress you, ice and roll you when you need it (even though it hurts… it’s good for you I promise!) and tell you nice things.  I am even going to spoil you with a massage tomorrow.  I will feed you protein and carbohydrates and whatever else you want, especially ice cream and cookies.  I will continue to believe in you and know that you are stronger than we both think you are sometimes.

So even though I may forget to tell you everyday, know that I think about you all the time and am in awe of what you are letting me accomplish.

The rest of my body thanks you as well.  We think you are pretty awesome.

Much love,
Aron

20 Responses to A Letter To My Legs

1. mamabird February 19, 2012 at 10:19 am #

I love your legs too. Ha…very nice post. We do ask so much of our bodies and you are so inspiring. Love following your journey and hearing all about your training. I’m tackling a series of half marathons this spring but doing a full marathon scares the bejesus out of me. So I love hearing someone else who feels that fear and is able to not only fight it but conquer it! Go Aron….Can’t wait to keep reading about your adventures. And your legs. :)

2. Marlene February 19, 2012 at 10:23 am #

Cute post! So true… those legs are really coming through for you, but you can take some credit for that too! You didn’t just wake up one day and make them run 49 miles in a weekend. You have done this the right way, building up gradually, listening to your body, fueling/resting well. THAT is why those legs are holding up so well!

3. Michelle February 19, 2012 at 10:58 am #

Hooray for LEGS!

4. Audrey February 19, 2012 at 11:05 am #

49 miles in two days -yowzas! Aron, I love reading about your ultra training. It’s informative, funny, human and so inspiring all at once.

5. Beth (i run like a girl) February 19, 2012 at 11:32 am #

Congrats on a couple of fantastic runs!
    And that line about ice cream and cookies made me laugh.

6. Janice Cook February 19, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

Love it!

7. Hillary {Nutrition Nut on the Run} February 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

very cute letter. your legs are something special indeed!! 49 miles in 2 days!? superwoman!!

8. Christine (aka Halifax Runner Girl) February 19, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

So true! It’s easy to forget how lucky we are to have the full use of our legs, and to get down on days when we may not be as fast or as strong as we’d like to be. So it’s nice to step back, reflect, and thank them for all of the places they take us and the joyful runs they bring us.

By the way, tag, you’re it! I’ve tagged you in this meme and would love to read your answers: http://halifaxrunnergirl.blogspot.com/2012/02/ive-been-tagged.html

~ HRG

9. Stacey February 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

Nice legs!! Seriously though, I am pretty sure a big thank you goes out to all the legs, especially those ones that just ran 49 miles in two days!!! Congrats to you and your amazing legs!!!

10. Naomi February 19, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

YOU are pretty awesome! Seriously Aron, I am in awe of your training – you continuously amaze me!

11. Tia@RunnerMom February 19, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

I’m sure your legs will enjoy that massage tomorrow!! :-) You are doing a great job! Love seeing all your running tweets!

12. Emily February 19, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

Love it!! I am totally inspired and can’t wait to get back to running again.

13. Rena @ milehogger.blogspot.com February 19, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

Jealous of your legs. Mine felt sore after a 11 miler.

14. Missy February 20, 2012 at 6:37 am #

Awww. :-)
    What a sweet letter. I talk to my legs too because I’m just so darn grateful for the fun adventures they continue to take me on. Our bodies are truly amazing.

15. Tall Mom February 20, 2012 at 8:44 am #

CUTE!! Keep up the good Work Aron :) You continue to motivate and inspire.

16. katie February 20, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

I say thank you to my legs all the time….glad I’m not the only one. :)

17. Kristen February 21, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

I love that your body is holding up so well for you – although I think I’m a little jealous too. I’ve had to learn to accept that I’m a little more breakable than most.
    Keep it up legs!

18. Chiropractic Assistant March 9, 2012 at 12:28 am #

I’m proud of your legs Aron and you too! :-) Without both of you, you cannot run that 49 miles in 2 days. I also want to say thank to my legs in allowing me to walk everyday. :-)Great job! Keep it up. Thanks for the inspiration Aron. What did you do why you accomplish that marathon?

1. A Pep Talk | runner's rambles - March 8, 2012

[...] It’s me Aron again.  [...]

2. Ouch, My Legs. | An Interesting Year - March 11, 2012

[...] I’ve started following as she trains for a FIFTY MILE RACE. So terrifying) has written a few great posts lately thanking her legs for all their hard work (and rightfully so — running 50 miles [...]