The Morning

IMG_0290

It might shock you with all the morning running that I do, but I have a confession…

I am not a morning person.  Not at all.

No matter how hard I try to be, it is pretty difficult to get out of bed every morning.  Every morning I battle my alarms (because I always set two and I always hear the second one) and every morning I crawl out of bed just wanting more sleep.

So why do I force myself to get out of my warm bed each and every day when I could just keep sleeping?

Because there is nothing like the feeling of a morning run.

I love that my day doesn’t start with me rushing off to work.  I love that my day doesn’t start with me picking out my work outfit, or trying to catch a train or sitting in traffic.

I love that when I get up, I am going to put running clothes on.  I love that I am going to go out into the quiet morning and start my day by doing my favorite activity: running.

I love that I am wake up as I am running.  I love that I get to see the sunrise.  I love knowing that most other people are still sleeping.

I love the feeling of accomplishment that a morning run starts my day with.

There are days I definitely battle the alarm more than others, and it does get easier as time goes on, but I have never regretted getting out of bed, putting on my running clothes and heading out the door for a run.

Never.

Are you a morning or evening runner?  What do you love most about the time of day you run?

40 Responses to The Morning

1. Shannon @ Mon Amour December 12, 2011 at 9:08 pm #

I love this mentality! It really is the greatest feeling to be out sweating while the rest of the world is still sleeping. And then you can collapse on the couch in the evenings without feeling guilty

• Aron December 13, 2011 at 4:15 pm #

EXACTLY :)

2. stephanie December 12, 2011 at 9:23 pm #

i’m definitely a morning runner. but morning has a weird definition for me. I always run as soon as I wake up…but I work nights so sometimes I wake up at 3 in the afternoon :)

3. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy December 12, 2011 at 9:44 pm #

I feel the same way. While I am a morning person, I am very tired when I get an hour less sleep, but it is TOTALLY worth that missed sleep for some moonlit runs in the peaceful morning air. :)

4. Michelle December 12, 2011 at 9:53 pm #

I would love to be a morning runner, but my husband is just crawling into bed at 3 a.m. after getting off of work, so it is hard to justify missing an hour of snuggles with him AND waking him up at 5 a.m. to go run when he has just barely gotten to sleep. I figure I have plenty of years to get up early and run. I make a point of getting my run in as soon as the boys and I get home from school.

5. Angela @ SF Road Warrior December 13, 2011 at 12:39 am #

Arrrggh, I just CAN’T DO IT!! I’ve tried, over and over again, over a period of many, many years, to resolve to morning running. It has never lasted more than a week. I just love sleeping so much & get this really powerful, overwhelming feeling of sadness & despair from getting up earlier than I absolutely must. Which is unfortunate because I really like the *idea* of morning running, and I really hate all the traffic (foot & car) that generally comes with evening running. I guess my favorite is when I work from home all or part of the day (which I probably do a lot more than most people, to be fair) & can do an early-afternoon run.

• Aron December 13, 2011 at 4:16 pm #

I highly recommend a running partner as a way to get in the habit (if it’s something you really want to do) :)

6. Tess @ Cross Country Cajun December 13, 2011 at 3:53 am #

I love this. I completely agree with you that getting up early is a struggle but the feeling of a morning run really makes up for it. I’ve never regretted getting that run in and my day usually feels more balanced if I lace up my shoes and get out the door.

7. Christie December 13, 2011 at 5:00 am #

I am a very EARLY morning person:) When you run in the morning…it always feels like it is just YOU, alone, on the road. Best feeling ever.

8. Amy December 13, 2011 at 5:04 am #

my alarm clock has been winning most days…today I got up and remembered why I love running in the morning so much! It was so peaceful! I hope that the feeling I had running this morning will be there tomorrow when my alarm clock goes off!

9. Amy December 13, 2011 at 5:10 am #

Absolutely. I’m definitely a morning runner – both mentally and physically, I do much better when I just get up and run. Well said!

10. Fancy Nancy December 13, 2011 at 5:40 am #

I have kind of been forced into being an early morning runner. At first I was in a fog the rest of the day after an early morning run, but now I enjoy it! I love how I feel energized and healthy all day after. I also love how peaceful and calming the world is when most people are still snug in their beds. Some days I wish I was curled up in my bed too but the calm crash of the ocean and the sleepiness of my town starts my day off just right!

11. Susan December 13, 2011 at 5:49 am #

I love running in the morning when the world seems so peaceful and quiet. It’s also great to exchange waves with the other a.m. runners who I don’t know by name, but look forward to seeing during my morning run.

12. Beth December 13, 2011 at 6:10 am #

I’m totally an afternoon runner who runs in the morning. If I could, I would sleep until the last minute and rush to work every morning, but evenings are so busy for me that I know I’d miss at least some of my planned runs. I do enjoy the feeling when my morning run is over though :)

13. marlene December 13, 2011 at 6:43 am #

We wrote about the same thing today! (well, yesterday for you). Funny.

YES those are all of my reasons for sticking to the mornings (sometimes) as well. But it is getting harder and harder to get out of bed! When we have a foot of snow, it’s probably NOT going to happen!

14. Kelly December 13, 2011 at 6:44 am #

Love morning for all of these reasons! Sunrises make me happy, and seeing them while running is usually the best part of the day. Although I usually wake up even before my alarm because I’m one of those crazy morning people :)

15. Carlos December 13, 2011 at 7:01 am #

I love my mornings to myself…I have this 14 mile route out and back, that is perfect in my opinion. I leave the house trudging west on rolling hills and it somehow it always works out as I hit 9 or 10 that I have a beautiful sunrise to stare at as I finish up my run. There has been a couple of times that I forget to turn on my street, but that is ok running to the dead end only adds a mile.

16. Kathryn December 13, 2011 at 7:41 am #

I wish that I could be a morning runner… maybe this will be my New Year’s resolution! It’s hard for me because we don’t live in a very safe place for running, so I usually frequent the Y or the city that I work in for my outdoor running.

I also hate waking up early, so that could be part of the problem. =)

But maybe I’ll commit to one morning run per week in 2012 for all of the reasons you’ve listed above, because you make it sound so delightful!

17. Candice @ Sailing on Paper December 13, 2011 at 9:23 am #

I really wish I could be a morning runner! It’s a constant battle for me, too, and I love the feeling of working out in the morning. But it’s so hard to make it into a regular habit!

18. Sarah December 13, 2011 at 9:25 am #

You took the words out of my mouth! There is no better feeling than starting a day with a run and knowing that you’ve accomplished something before most people are waking up. I love seeing the sunrise and all the other crazies that are out on the road running with me :)

19. Laura December 13, 2011 at 9:27 am #

I’m both. I am actually not a morning person AT ALL. I get into work really early just so I can wake up before I actually have to start dealing with people.
    I love early (realllllly early) runs as it is just me getting it done and having the rest of the day to reflect on what I did.
    Just don’t ask me to talk at that time…

20. Audrey December 13, 2011 at 10:09 am #

I know the feeling about morning runs! I’m a 100% morning runner by necessity – after 21 years of school I had to get a real job and realized that the only time I could start my runs were before 8 or after 8, so before 8 it was. One of my aunts works at a health center and always says that if you run in the morning, then you have the satisfaction of going through your day knowing that you did at least one good thing for your body. She’s right!

21. Lizzie @TheWeekdayVegan December 13, 2011 at 10:47 am #

Question for you– I LOVE morning running (even though I am definitely NOT a morning person, either) but am nervous about running by myself in the darkness. Do you have any tips on ways to feel/be more safe while running before sunrise? Obviously pepper spray is a good one, but anything else you recommend? Thanks!

• Aron December 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm #

Running in well lit areas, with friends if you can, no music, know your route, bring your phone, etc…. Hope those help some!

22. Kathy December 13, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

Morning, Morning, Morning….however, with that said it usually only happens about 8 months out of the year….I am not a cold morning runner. ;-)

23. J December 13, 2011 at 1:32 pm #

Morning runner all the way! I love starting my day with a run or even just some cross training! Starting the morning with a good sweat is the best thing for me – always makes me happier! Brian always says he can tell when I don’t work out in the morning because I am not as happy!

24. Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs December 13, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

I force myself to be a morning runner. It’s not pretty. I usually need a half hour to convince myself I want to do anything other than go back to sleep!

My family appreciates it though – I have more time to spend with them and I am always in SUCH a great mood! Definitely agree that there’s nothing better than a good morning run.

25. The Blonde December 13, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

Ditto!!!! Well said!!!!

26. Ariel December 13, 2011 at 4:11 pm #

When I ran in the morning it was a great start to my day and I wasn’t thinking about it the rest of the day. Now I run in the afternoon and I love that it allows me to release any tension and stress I’ve had throughout the day. Extremely calming!

27. diana December 13, 2011 at 5:28 pm #

I like running in the morning there is just something about starting a new day with a fresh run. Maybe it’s the crisp fresh air, the smell of the morning or watching life wake up. I rather run in the morning than at night, but night runs work too!

28. Cailin December 14, 2011 at 1:47 am #

As I sit here at 4:45 am about to leave on my run, it is nice to read this post. I am typically a morning person, but waking up at 4:30 is a struggle even for me. It’s really my only chance to run with a full time teaching job and two little kids! It certainly does start the day off on the right foot!
    New reader by the way!

29. Sarah December 14, 2011 at 4:50 am #

This is such a great post! Morning runs are so great for all of those reasons. I love starting off the day with my favorite activity! I’m actually going to lace up my shoes and head out in a few minutes. Great motivation today!

30. kristen December 14, 2011 at 5:30 am #

I never would have guessed your not a morning runner. Even after this post. You were able to list several things about running in the morning. Don’t fight it! Your totally a morning runner!!!

31. Jessica December 14, 2011 at 8:16 am #

I love a pleasant evening run especially on a bright night when you can see the stars above, My thoughts suddenly clear up as I run and afterword it leaves me drained (in a good way) and ready for whenever I get to bed.

32. Susan - Nurse on the Run December 14, 2011 at 7:10 pm #

I will never understand morning people…I’ve been a night person since the day I was born! That being said, morning runs are so AWESOME. I love running in NYC before the city wakes up…it really feels like a different place.

33. Corey December 15, 2011 at 12:08 pm #

I am the EXACT. SAME. WAY. I was just trying to explain to someone the other day how I am not a morning person, yet I do 75% of my working out in the mornings! You have said it perfectly!

34. Rachel December 16, 2011 at 9:28 am #

i feel the same way as you! i always regret when i skip a morning run, but never regret when i do them!

35. Kabri December 16, 2011 at 10:22 am #

Morning run! I run at 4:30am in SF, and I feel like I own the streets. It so calming running typically noisy streets when everyone is still asleep! Morning runs also make me happy for the rest of the day – even if I have to drag myself out of bed into cold, wet fog! it’s like starting the day with a victory!

1. American River 50: Week 2 | runner's rambles - December 18, 2011

[...] I posted about my love for morning runs on Monday, I got an email from Jana asking if I wanted to go running one morning and immediately [...]

2. It All | runner's rambles - February 2, 2012

[...] I am not a morning person, but I make myself be one.  I see the number 4 at the front of the clock when I wake up during the week more days than I don’t.  It has gotten easier, but it can be rough.  I just know I won’t get my run done after sitting in an hour of traffic on my way home.  I don’t even think about it anymore, I just get up, and get my run done.  [...]