Spectator Report: 2011 Walnut Creek Half Marathon

I was up very late last night for my work holiday party, so when the alarm went off at 6:30am I was no where near ready to get out of bed.  After a couple rounds of snooze, I threw on some clothes, grabbed the camera and drove over to the meeting spot for the Walnut Creek Half Marathon!

Mile 3 of the 10k, Mile 5ish of the half marathon
DSC_0059

This was the first year of the race and it was fun to get to be a part of it on the sidelines and to have a hometown half marathon now.  Katie, Kerry, and Courtney all made the trek to this corner of the East Bay to spectate and Kristin and Sima met up with us too.

DSC_0072

We met at the lululemon cheer stop which was fully equipped with a DJ and dancing lemons.  Spectating is definitely more fun when you have a DJ and can turn it into a dance party.  It also helps with staying warm!

DSC_0093

Katie learned the spectator lesson of pacing… you can’t go out too fast or you will crash and burn!  Layla made her pacing debut as an official pacer for the half marathon, so we were extra excited to get to see her twice and screamed extra loud for her.  She nailed her pacing strategy too!

DSC_0211

It was a very fun morning and I loved getting to cheer on the other runners and be a part of such a fun cheer station.  It was definitely a good way to start the weekend off.

DSC_0232

Beth joined the rest of us for coffee and bagels and we got to hear about her rocking race also.  It was so fun to sit and chat for a couple hours and to catch up with a few of the Bay Area girls.

Beth, Kerry, Katie, Layla, Courtney, me
DSC_0235

I love spectating and can’t wait to do it again!

, , , , , ,

12 Responses to Spectator Report: 2011 Walnut Creek Half Marathon

1. Holly December 10, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

I saw Layla finish! I recognized her from your blogger meetup over a year ago!

2. Alyssa December 10, 2011 at 1:36 pm #

SO funnnn!! What a great morning. Love you all!

3. PavementRunner December 10, 2011 at 5:10 pm #

Your cheer station was awesome! I high-fixed a couple of those lemons! Thanks for being out there! Def. needed the support.

4. Great Idea Months Ago December 10, 2011 at 6:10 pm #

I love the lululemon girls. My favorite sign at the Baltimore 10 miler – was “Naked Cheerleaders Ahead”. They always have the best signs – and sometimes sweedish fish.

5. Courtney (Pancakes and Postcards) December 10, 2011 at 8:47 pm #

WOO HOO!!! I had SO much fun today, Aron. Thanks for inviting me out!

6. Sarah December 11, 2011 at 5:29 am #

Spectating races is sooo much fun. Fans make all the difference in how much fun a race is!

7. Beth December 11, 2011 at 7:20 am #

Hey,
    yesterday was my 9 year old daughters first 10k! She loved the lemons, all the cheering you guys gave her and the high fives! I took a video of her running past, it was so loud and great fun!
    Thanks for coming out on such a cold morning!

8. Holly {our interestingly boring life} December 11, 2011 at 12:10 pm #

I am loving the lulu signs! and the lemons! super fun! i need to find a race where they will be around!!

9. marlene December 12, 2011 at 7:33 am #

Those sighs are awesome! What a fun morning… even worth the lack of sleep! But we know you made up for that later. haha

10. Nelly December 12, 2011 at 10:25 am #

Those signs are hilarious!

1. December | runner's rambles - January 5, 2012

[...] I spectated at the first Walnut Creek Half Marathon! [...]

2. Walnut Creek Half Race Report | PavementRunner - February 2, 2012

[...] recognize them on the course. For a full spectator report and photos, check out Aron’s blog here. Also a major shout out to Beth, who ran the 5k — read about it here.Oh ya, I also came across [...]