Social Media Sabbatical

It’s no secret that I love social media.  You might even call me addicted.

Blogging, twitter, FaceBook, DailyMile… bring it on.

Social Media has brought so much to my life.  So many friends, so many opportunities, and more than I could ever have imagined when I started this little blog almost 4 (!!) years ago.  This year has been especially abundant with opportunities and friends that I am extremely grateful for.

Along with all the good, I will also be the first to admit that social media can leave me absent in “real life” at times.  My mind is thinking about what my next blog post is going to be, what might be going on on twitter and how I need to log my run in Daily Mile right now.  It’s just simply time consuming and mind consuming.

So I decided that starting tomorrow, Wednesday, December 21st, I am going to finish off the year by going on a little social media sabbatical.  No blogging, no twitter, no DailyMile, no FaceBook.  This is actually going to be quite a challenge.

Instead, I am going to be “present” with my husband and my family.  I am not going to worry about what my next blog post is going to be about.  I will catch up on logging my runs in Daily Mile when my sabbatical is over with.  I will read a book instead of being glued to my computer.  I will walk with my eyes up instead of being glued to the phone in my hand.

And you know what?

I can’t wait.  I am really excited to step back and just take a little break.  I don’t think I have ever gone a whole week without blogging since I started… but it’s not going anywhere.  I will catch up on the yearly recaps, 2012 goals, my training, and whatever else happens when I return in a week… or 10 days… or 2 weeks… whenever I feel ready.

In the meantime, I am excited to get refreshed and rejuvenated.  To celebrate what a great year 2011 was.  To reflect and be thankful for everything that has happened this year.  To look forward to the fun that is going to happen in 2012.  But mostly, to spend some very quality time with my family, my friends, my home and myself.

So my friends, Happy Holidays, I will see you soon!

29 Responses to Social Media Sabbatical

1. XLMIC December 20, 2011 at 7:49 pm #

Enjoy, Aron! I know you will :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

2. Page December 20, 2011 at 7:51 pm #

I love this…a nice way to star the new year!

3. Sarah December 20, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

Oh man, a big kudos to you. Enjoy every blissful, quiet, focused minute. We’ll see you in 2012.

4. Susan - Nurse on the Run December 20, 2011 at 7:54 pm #

I sometimes wonder if my life would be better without the constant blogging, tweeting, facebooking, etc. It’s all brought me GREAT things in life (like you!), but at other times it can seem so distracting. Enjoy the end of your year and I’ll be seeing you in 2012! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :)

5. Cate December 20, 2011 at 7:59 pm #

This is a great idea! I’ll miss you, though!

6. RoadBunner December 20, 2011 at 7:59 pm #

I think this is an awesome idea. Have a great Christmas and we’ll catch you in the new year <3

7. Beth December 20, 2011 at 8:27 pm #

This is such a great idea! Have a wonderful time other your family and njoy this little break!

8. Caroline December 20, 2011 at 9:26 pm #

merry christmas!

9. tanya December 20, 2011 at 9:28 pm #

Enjoy your social media-free holiday!

10. Courtney (Pancakes and Postcards) December 20, 2011 at 9:41 pm #

good call aron! that was like 2 years in africa for me. its hard, but so much better. the real life is the one that’s not happening on a computer screen. love you! merry christmas!

11. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy December 20, 2011 at 10:06 pm #

That’s awesome, Aron! The perfect time to do it and yes, it’s so easy to get caught up in it all and try to stay up to date on everything, which is impossible. Have a great Christmas!

12. Petra December 20, 2011 at 10:23 pm #

woah! I love it! I took a step back this year when things got too manic and it’s refreshing. I spent a lot more time in the moment and that was a good thing.

Great to see how well things are going for you Aron – keep it up!

13. Laura December 21, 2011 at 5:06 am #

Amen! Have a great holiday season!!

14. Kristin @ Everyday Is Run Day December 21, 2011 at 5:48 am #

Bravo! I agree that sometimes (okay a lot of the time) social media can make us absent from real life. It’s a great idea to forceably tune yourself out of it for awhile. Otherwise life will just pass you by! Have a great sabbatical!

15. Jen December 21, 2011 at 6:07 am #

I’m going to miss you! Enjoy your holidays :)

16. Susan December 21, 2011 at 6:20 am #

Merry Christmas, Aron! Can’t wait to catch up with you in 2012! :-)

17. Marlene December 21, 2011 at 6:30 am #

This is an EXCELLENT idea! I had decided to make a conscious effort to STEP AWAY FROM THE LAPTOP (luckily I don’t even have a smartphone, lol) over my holidays. I spend enough time staring at this screen all day at work, all year… so I’m not taking a complete sabbatical, but I will be much less “present” on social media over Christmas. Kudos to you for going all the way. Enjoy the break!

Can I email you if I miss you too much? hehehe

18. Ali December 21, 2011 at 7:12 am #

I will miss youuuuu! But good for you, seriously. Enjoy your time with your family — happy holidays!

19. Missy December 21, 2011 at 7:34 am #

Great idea!
    Have a Merry Christmas!

20. Celia December 21, 2011 at 8:18 am #

Wow this made me think if I could go completely free for that long, but I think it’s a great idea! Happy Holidays!! :)

21. katie December 21, 2011 at 8:35 am #

Enjoy & happy holidays!

22. Denise December 21, 2011 at 8:58 am #

i’m with you!! i didn’t miss it AT ALL while i was in jamaica and i really don’t have much of a desire to get back into it. there’s so much more to be involved in and paying attention to. at least i have your email if i need to see what you’re up to!!

23. The Blonde December 21, 2011 at 9:59 am #

Like!

24. Nelly December 21, 2011 at 10:33 am #

Sounds like a cool plan! I sometimes go on a social media sabbatical during the year, sometimes I’m just not into it. Mainly this happens when I’m injured and its hard to read about other people doing all this running when I can’t do any.

25. Fair Weather Runner December 21, 2011 at 11:43 am #

awesome! and good for you! i love taking weeks of here and there, i usually do when i’m on vacation. i took a sabbatical from facebook in september and honestly never went back. it was just too much for me. but a week off will do your soul good, enjoy your time unplugged. i know i always do. see ya after the holidays :)

26. Courtney December 21, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

Have a great time off! You deserve it for the great year you have had! I think I am going to try to disconnect very soon!

27. Robin Johnson December 22, 2011 at 6:45 am #

Enjoy your sabatical! We’ll all still be here when you get back. Happy Holidays! http://www.dashingdiva.net

28. Laura December 22, 2011 at 4:37 pm #

Have a happy holiday season, Aron – see you in 2012!

1. 12 Days Later | runner's rambles - January 1, 2012

[...] been 12 full days since I posted, logged a run, or tweeted and it’s been great.  Although the first couple [...]