Race Report: 2011 Las Vegas Great Santa Run 5k

Going back to Saturday

Somehow Page found out about this Santa Suit 5k in Vegas the day before the Rock ‘N Roll Half Marathon.  She g-chatted me about signing up and of course I said yes.  Running in a Santa suit with thousands of other Santas?  When else would I get the chance to do that?  Most likely never.  Plus I really wanted to run Saturday, so this would be a perfect shake out run.

We got up at 8am Saturday morning, got dressed and started running down the strip towards the race start.  I had thought my GPS said 3 miles there, but it ended up being just over 4 at an 8:40 avg pace.  It was fun to run down the strip in the early Vegas hours, and there were actually quite a few runners out!

It was pretty cold and windy out and I was just a little cranky at that point since I hadn’t had my coffee yet.  Page even asked me what was wrong and my response was “it’s morning.”  I hadn’t had a chance to wake up yet.

Once we arrived and saw all the Santa suits I definitely woke up!  We maneuvered through thousands of Santas to get to check in to get our suit and bib.  We put on the ridiculous outfits and I was just happy to be warm!

We are most definitely stylish
DSCN1050 DSCN1054

We went and signed the book for the Guinness Book of World Records because that was the goal of this race: set a new record for number of running Santas!  I don’t know if the record was actually broken but let’s hope so.

DSCN1058

We wandered around for a little while, continuing to weave through the thousands of Santas trying to find the start line.  We eventually found something that resembled a start line and pretty soon people were moving.

Then we were off!

DSCN1061

How was running in a Santa suit?

Well the beard was the most annoying part.  The hairs kept getting in my mouth which were super annoying.  Other than that my pants were falling down so I was constantly pulling them up, but overall it was just plain hilarious.

DSCN1075

This wasn’t the normal eyes bleeding, puke threshold feeling 5k… it was most definitely the opposite.  We were totally just cruising along very slowly, Page stopped to tie her shoe, I stopped to pin my jacket, and we were generally just laughing about the ridiculousness of the situation.  There were people and dogs everywhere and we just continued to run along, not pushing the 5k threshold.

Pretty soon we saw the finish line and picked up the jog to get through in record Santa time.  I think we broke 30 minutes?  A new costume wearing PR.

DSCN1083

At this point we had no idea how we were getting back to the hotel, but I really needed wanted some coffee.  We found the Whole Food and loaded up with coffee, oatmeal and muffins.  With our hands full of food, we found a cab but realized we didn’t have enough cash so we got kicked out and had to figure out a new way back.

Enter Las Vegas public transportation.

We figured out the bus system, hopped on a bus where I was happily warm eating my oatmeal.

Never been so happy to be on public transportation.
IMG_4774

We made it back to the strip where we walked back to our hotel definitely getting a lot of stares and questions, but there was no way I was taking off that warm Santa suit!  There have definitely been stranger things walking around the Vegas strip at 11am.

It was definitely a fun morning and an experience I will forever remember.  Plus the Santa suit came in very handy as warm throw away clothes for the half marathon the next day!

DSC05710

, ,

17 Responses to Race Report: 2011 Las Vegas Great Santa Run 5k

1. XLMIC December 6, 2011 at 6:48 pm #

You know what part of that costume was the most hilarious? That is the difference between your blog and mine…I would have showcased that feature :P

It would have been so hilarious to have seen that race! And oatmeal?! Man… i would have killed for some oatmeal over the weekend :(

2. The Blonde December 6, 2011 at 6:53 pm #

So, so fun! And I can definitely relate to the coffee…not okay until I have my cup. Or 2, or 3, or… ;)

3. Connie December 6, 2011 at 7:05 pm #

That looks like so much fun! You girls look super cute in your costumes too. I want to run in a Santa suit!

4. Christine December 7, 2011 at 3:23 am #

Love it!! The outfit is awesome :)

5. Robin Johnson December 7, 2011 at 6:06 am #

Love the idea! Looks like a lot of fun!

6. Amy December 7, 2011 at 6:25 am #

Sounds like great fun, except for the whole lack of coffee issue! Might have to do the Vegas RnR weekend next year because your race reports sound like so much fun!

7. katie December 7, 2011 at 9:25 am #

you guys are ADORABLE!

• Gtsdg November 29, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

I don’t pay much attention to the suv makert as I should. But the Sante Fe never was an outstanding performer of an suv. For the same price you can get a Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner or Nissan Rogue which in the long term are better suv’s. There are so few reviews on this suv b/c of this reason. They just aren’t in demand. That big warranty is all hype. If you don;t follow that very expensive preventive maintenance program of their something goes wrong, it invalidates the warranty. A lady here once wrote why Hyundai would not pay for a new trans simply b/c she didn’t get the flush done at 60K like it said she had to. That’s where the money is. Nissan, Ford, GM don;t do that. It’s better to make a quality vehicle than hype one up. Right now the Chevy Equinox is the in demand suv. Especially if you want a V6. G’luck!

8. Page December 7, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

I’ve never been so thankful for public transportation than when I saw that bus. Oh thank god.

9. Lizzy December 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

How CUTE are those Santa costumes!! i bet this was a blast! thank goodness it was chilly or you would have overheated!! I hope you are feeling great and recovering well! xoxo!

10. Rafael Rodriguez December 7, 2011 at 11:38 pm #

The Santa Run did break the record with 8,123 participants. I just found your blog while searching for the results. LV-RnR was #18 of 19 RnR’s for me this year and definitely the coldest. It was fun running the Strip but a setting a Guinness World Record in a Santa suit was pretty special. All the best.

11. marlene December 8, 2011 at 5:25 am #

This is toooo awesome and funny. I love it.

12. Susan - Nurse on the Run December 8, 2011 at 11:01 am #

Hahaha my favorite part is that you got kicked out of a cab while wearing a Santa costume…way too funny! Congrats on the costume PR!

13. RoadBunner December 8, 2011 at 2:16 pm #

You threw away the santa suit?! Blasphemy!! ha ha :) I’ve heard about this race and would LOOOVE to do it one day :)

1. Not Your Typical Race Recap (Vegas pt1) « Once Upon a (L)ime - December 7, 2011

[...] our actually-running roommates woke a few hours later for their Santa Run we figured it’d be nice of us to not be drunk assholes forcing them to tip-toe around in the [...]

2. Friday Favorites: Vegas Outtakes | runner's rambles - December 9, 2011

[...] forgot to mention in my race report that there were skydiving Santas!  Also I received a comment telling me that this race DID in fact [...]