My Next Big Adventure

I was the annoying girl on twitter today.

You know the one hinting at a big registration…

Nov 008

Then registering and running off without saying what I registered for.

Nov 009

Over the last few weeks I have been hinting that something big is coming up for me, and today I finally committed to it and hit register.  I couldn’t just sit and think about it anymore!

I have been thinking about this race for months now.  I have been really thinking about what I want to do next and have been using this off season to find where my heart wanted to run this spring.  I know this break has done me good and I am really ready to tackle something big.  I am refreshed, rejuvenated, excited and hungry to run.

I have been racking my friend’s brains, getting reactions, asking for advice, thinking about my training plan, reading about training plans, planning out running routes, talking, thinking, talking, thinking… but when I would come to actually registering, it really freaked me out.

And that’s when I realized that’s exactly why I want to do this.

I want to do something that scares me.  Something that really pushes my limits, but a new different kind of limit.  Something I have been talking about doing for a very long time, but just hadn’t found the right time for.  If you have been reading this blog for a while now, you know that this has been on my goals list forever and it just keep getting postponed year after year.

But not anymore, now is the time.

I have registered for my first ultra-marathon, and not just any ultra, a 50 mile ultra.

American River 50 here I come.

Nov 010

I have observed this race from afar the last couple years and it always really intrigued me.  It’s a very popular 50 miler in this area and Sacramento is one of my favorite cities to run races in.  I have talked to runners who have ran it as their first 50 and first ultra and it came highly recommended.

The course is a combination of pavement and trail running, with the tough trail running coming in the second half of the course.  I am excited to really expand my trail running while also keeping in some road running as well.  I will definitely be talking about all of this in full detail as I go, and trust me there are a lot of details.

I <3 trails but I also <3 pavement!  Yay for doing both!
IMG_9269 713732-3005-0006s1

I am scared.

I am excited.

My mind is spinning with a thousand what ifs.

I am pretty much freaking out!  But in a very good way.

So here we go, on a very big new exciting journey.  I am so excited to bring you guys along.  Let the countdown begin.

Nov 011

, , , , ,

98 Responses to My Next Big Adventure

1. Lindsay November 9, 2011 at 7:46 pm #

CONGRATS! That sounds like such a new and exciting adventure. I can’t wait to read as you train and prepare for this one. Yes, it sounds scary but it’s so exciting that you are so determined and focused and ready to tackle this one. You can do it!!

2. Alyssa November 9, 2011 at 7:47 pm #

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 CAN'T WAIT TO CHEER AND PACE AND WATCH YOU KICK ASSSSSSSSS! xoxox

• Beth November 9, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

I second this! Good luck, good luck, good luck!!

3. Devon @FastFoodie November 9, 2011 at 7:47 pm #

Awesome!!! Welcome to the dark side :) But seriously, you will have a blast the best part about the ultrarunning world is the super supportive community! Congrats on taking the plunge!

4. Jen November 9, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

Wow this is awesome! I’m excited to follow along on your journey. Congrats on finally taking the plunge :)

5. Karla @ myhighonlife November 9, 2011 at 7:51 pm #

CONGRATS! This is a huge announcement. You sound physically and mentally ready to tackle what I can only imagine a 50 miler will bring your way. Can’t wait to hear all about the training :)

6. Rena @ milehogger.blogspot.com November 9, 2011 at 7:51 pm #

That’s so exciting. I can’t believe that you’re attempting a 50 miler. Ultras are definitely on my bucket list, but I need to actually get to running marathon fitness first.

7. Kristine @ Running on Hungry November 9, 2011 at 7:56 pm #

YAY!!! So exciting and good for you for doing something that challenges you! I will definitely be there screaming my face off for you!!

8. nic November 9, 2011 at 8:06 pm #

You go girl!!!!!! Mad props!!!!!!! Can’t wait to hear about this journey along the way!

9. Shannon @ Mon Amour November 9, 2011 at 8:07 pm #

Congrats! I’m so excited for you! Ultra running is so bad ass!

10. Lisa November 9, 2011 at 8:14 pm #

Wow! Way to skip right over the 50K! I have been looking for the right 50k to dip my feet into the ultra pool. I am excited to read about your training. Congrats on making that commitment!

• Aron November 9, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

I am planning on doing a 50k in training too… but yah ;) haha.

11. XLMIC November 9, 2011 at 8:16 pm #

Yeowza WOWza!!!!! you are totally a rockstar who deserves roadies :)

Anything I can do to help you with your training…in all my slowness… do let me know!

• Alyssa November 9, 2011 at 8:22 pm #

Yesssss and same here!

12. Billy November 9, 2011 at 8:18 pm #

Awesome. You’ll dig it…I think.

13. Laura November 9, 2011 at 8:22 pm #

Freaking awesome! You’re going to rock it!!!

14. The Blonde November 9, 2011 at 8:26 pm #

So. Awesome.

I toyed once with the idea of running Comrades a few years ago.

If AR50 weren’t so close to Boston, I’d have half a mind to do it with you!

Enjoy the new adventure!

• Aron November 9, 2011 at 8:41 pm #

Last year around Boston I thought, maybe I should do that next year… now I am! :)

15. Leana November 9, 2011 at 8:30 pm #

That is so exciting!! Congratulations on taking the leap!

16. Nikki November 9, 2011 at 8:39 pm #

Oh my gosh, I am registered too!! I must admit your 150 days countdown makes it seem very real. It will be my first ultra as well. Look forward to following your training! So exciting!!

• Aron November 9, 2011 at 8:41 pm #

SO exciting!!!

17. Haute Running Mama November 9, 2011 at 9:07 pm #

Woooohoooooo!!! Congrats!! You are going to do great :) Yeeessssss!!!!

18. Kristen November 9, 2011 at 9:15 pm #

Awesome Aron!! You are going to kick butt!! That will be a huge accomplishment!

19. Lazy chick November 9, 2011 at 9:29 pm #

Omg!!!!!! Congrats !!!! I’m so excited for you!! My BFF just ran her first 50mikes and I had the honor of pacing her the last 5 miles. To see all the ultra people having so much fun is very inspiring! I overheard a couple of people talking that they love trail racing because you get to talk to people, they said when they do road race marathons, they are running so hard you can’t talk! Can’t wait to hear all about your training!

20. emily November 10, 2011 at 2:57 am #

Aron! You are the PERFECT person to do an ultra! I love that you signed up! You are going to rock it like no other. Can’t wait to follow all of your training and racing insanity for the next 149 days!

21. Kristen (inspiredbydooce) November 10, 2011 at 3:09 am #

Woohoo!! I was trying to figure your if you were goi g to go the tri route or the ultra route :) considering where you live (the land of ultras) it seems just right to go that way. I can’t wait to read all about your adventures!

And I think a healthy amount of fear is probably a good thing. It will keep your training honest

22. Krissy November 10, 2011 at 3:16 am #

Wow! That is crazy exciting! Good luck…can’t wait to follow your training!

23. Christine November 10, 2011 at 3:17 am #

WOW!!! Amazing, I’m sure you will do great!! In the beginning I thought you signed up for an Ironman! :)

24. abbi November 10, 2011 at 3:29 am #

Exciting! From reading, I figured something like this was coming with all the trail runs!

25. Denise November 10, 2011 at 5:21 am #

:-) so glad you pulled the trigger!!! you’re going to love the training.

26. diana November 10, 2011 at 5:22 am #

You will be fantastic! Enjoy it, be excited and have fun! Go Aron!!!!!

27. Carolina John November 10, 2011 at 5:24 am #

Wow popping the ultra cherry with a 50 miler and not a 50k? Big props girl! Good luck!

28. Kristy@RunTheLongRoad November 10, 2011 at 5:27 am #

AWESOME! I’m so jealous :) After Boston in April, running an ultra is next on my list! Can’t wait to follow your training!

29. J November 10, 2011 at 5:30 am #

YAY! That is so awesome and yet scary at the same time! But wasn’t the marathon scary at one time too and you have conquered that so many times. I know you will do great at the 50 miler!

30. Jen November 10, 2011 at 5:50 am #

YAYYYYYYYYYYY!

31. Lauren November 10, 2011 at 6:17 am #

Congrats!!! That’s so exciting :)

32. marlene November 10, 2011 at 6:18 am #

Been so absorbed in my blog stuff that I totally missed this HUGE news! Yayyyy for signing up. This is going to be so fun! Can’t wait to follow along. :)

33. Emz November 10, 2011 at 6:21 am #

You will love ultra running. I’m pretty sure it’s become my favorite distance. Just be warned. It’s even more addicting than marathons!! ;)

• Aron November 10, 2011 at 7:45 am #

Uh oh. ;)

34. Shut Up and Run 50 Miles! November 10, 2011 at 6:41 am #

Aron, this is so exciting!! I will let you do it first then maybe I will do one someday too. Cannot wait to follow your training!

• Aron November 10, 2011 at 7:46 am #

Love the name <3… shut up and run 50 miles! AHH :)

35. Gordon November 10, 2011 at 6:47 am #

This is so inspiring! You will do wonderfully! I have no doubts whatsoever! WTG!

36. Amber from Girl with the Red Hair November 10, 2011 at 6:49 am #

I knewwww it! Yay! How exciting!! I’m glad the trail comes at the end because when I did my 25K “ultra” there was 2 miles of pavement after 14 miles in the trails and it was BRUTAL!

I’m really excited to follow you on this new adventure! I want to do a 50K one day I think but don’t know if I’d ever do a 50-miler!!

37. RunToTheFinish November 10, 2011 at 6:54 am #

wooot yeah for you!! i think you are ready for a new goal and this is a good one!!

38. Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs November 10, 2011 at 8:01 am #

Woo-hoo! Looking forward to following along :)

39. Morgan November 10, 2011 at 8:09 am #

EEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!! That is awesome!!!!!!! Good luck on the next big thing girl!

40. PJ November 10, 2011 at 8:24 am #

You will love it! I ran the AR-50 for the first time in 2010, taking last year off for Boston to Big Sur, and am registered to run AR-50 again in 2012. It is wonderfully organized & actually runs like two different races>the first 1/2 on the AR Parkway & the second 1/2 a technical and challenging trail run!!

41. Kim November 10, 2011 at 8:35 am #

Congrats Aron!!! This is so exciting :)

42. Sima November 10, 2011 at 8:56 am #

CONGRATS!! I am scared and excited for you! I think it’ll be awesome to read/hear about the experience of training for this since I dont think I will ever be mentally prepared to take on 50 miles at once…You can do it :)

43. Susan - Nurse on the Run November 10, 2011 at 9:08 am #

Ultras are something I have yet to tap into…they scare me! Also, I think they’re a different mindset than marathons…many people run marathons for time, but ultras seems to be more about finishing the distance. (I could be TOTALLY wrong about that.) I do wonder if I could ever run 50 miles….that sounds so far! I’m excited to follow your training. :)

44. Courtney November 10, 2011 at 9:15 am #

OMG! 50 miler, that is freaking intense!!!!!

45. SkinnyRunner November 10, 2011 at 9:17 am #

dang gina, thats awesome. cant wait to read more!

46. Kristin November 10, 2011 at 10:04 am #

so cool! I don’t think I want to run for that long, but I’ve been wanting to do a 50k and not really committing… maybe 2012 will be the year!

47. Kristin November 10, 2011 at 10:29 am #

Ooohhhhh myyyy gooodnessss. So I have like a bajillion things to comment on about this, but first I will just say YEAHHHHH!! I’m so excited for you to have something new and exciting on the horizon, it was time :) I cannot wait to run with you and help you reach this amazing goal! Seriously, I will even start running trails if you need me to (haha). Like I’ve said a million times, I’m SO PROUD OF YOU! If anyone can do it, it’s you. 2012 is going to be AHHHHmazing! Love you, xoxo.

48. Kimra November 10, 2011 at 10:40 am #

That is so many miles! Aaaaaaah! It sounds like an awesome challenge, and I can’t wait to read about it!

49. Audrey November 10, 2011 at 11:09 am #

WOW! This is beyond impressive. I am looking forward to reading posts about your training and how in the world you tackle 50 miles? Totally re-defines the concept of a “long” run! I mean . . . how many Gu’s is that anyway . . . .

50. Corey November 10, 2011 at 11:50 am #

Wow, so exciting! I cannot imagine running 50 miles but I know you will tackle it and have fun while doing it! Go, Aron! Can’t wait to hear about your training for this :)

51. Lauren November 10, 2011 at 12:47 pm #

So exciting!! I love that you’re jumping right up to the 50 mile distance. I know you’re going to rise to the challenge no problem. Looking forward to following along and living (running) vicariously through you! I always think about training for an ultra (someday…).

52. danica November 10, 2011 at 1:04 pm #

You are going to rock this 50 miler and I’m so excited to see your progress and training for this race!

53. Cate November 10, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

You are going to ROCK that race! I’m sooo excited for you!!

54. Beth November 10, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

That’s so exciting!!! It’ll be fun to try something so new and challenging after years of marathons :)

55. bobbi November 10, 2011 at 2:40 pm #

CRAZY! Nough said! ;)

56. RoadBunner November 10, 2011 at 3:09 pm #

I’m so so excited for you!!!! I’m glad you decided to go for this :) I think running 50 miles is borderline crazy, so am happy to hear all about it from you instead of trying to live it myself. 2012 is going to be epic!!

57. Jamie November 10, 2011 at 4:16 pm #

Incredible! I look forward to reading about your progress. You got this :-)

58. Nelly November 10, 2011 at 5:16 pm #

This seems like a great idea, I think you will definitely be ready for this – seems like a great challenge!

59. Lizzy November 10, 2011 at 5:59 pm #

Congrats!! this is going to be an awesome race for you! I can’t wait to read all about your training and prep, you will be ready! April in Northern CA is the perfect time to run longgg!! good luck and take it one day at a time! xoxo!

60. Naomi November 10, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

You are one very brave girl! And I have it on my calendar so I can be there to cheer you on!

61. MizFit November 11, 2011 at 3:36 am #

you are NEVER the annoying girl on twitter :)

CONGRATS!!!!

62. jeannett November 11, 2011 at 6:06 am #

that’s it.
    it’s official.
    you. have. lost. your. mind.
    kidding.
    well, kind of.

;)

63. Susan November 11, 2011 at 6:36 am #

Aron,

I can feel your excitement! Kind of like Christmas morning without all the presents! Okay, it’s really nothing like Christmas morning, but it will be one amazing journey!!! (I sound like a politician right now.) Congrats on taking the leap!!! :-) Susan

64. kristen November 11, 2011 at 8:03 am #

WooHooo. I love this. So you!

65. Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal November 11, 2011 at 8:42 am #

Congrats!!! So exciting :)

66. shelly November 11, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

Had to come back and comment on this. Sorry I don’t always comment. But I’m reading!

So glad you are making the leap! You will love it! You are one crazy strong runner and that is what it takes. I can’t imagine running the road and then hitting the trails on a 50miler. That sounds hard for me, mentally since I have trouble reigning it in at the start of races. I’d crash and burn BUT I know you will be more than ready for the challenge.

I saw you say that you will do a 50k in your training. At only 2 yrs into ultra running I am still a newbie but my veteran friends say that 2 – 3 50k races (training runs) is what they consider the “minimum” to go into the 50 miler ready. I will be eager to follow your training plan!

67. Ron November 11, 2011 at 6:50 pm #

Exciting! Welcome to the world of ultras! This one is on my list, but alas, I think it’s too close to the Boston Marathon. Dick Collins Firetrails 50 is another excellent 50 miler in the Bay Area. I’m looking forward to seeing how you do!

68. Anthony November 12, 2011 at 7:18 am #

Aron, you will do great and you will have hours of fun training for it. I ran it for the first time this year and it was my first 50M. It became my Western States qualifier. i will keep you posted on the many training runs that take place in the Auburn area. You have just signed up for an amazing adventure. Congratulations!

69. Rachel November 12, 2011 at 10:29 am #

SO EXCITING!!! the whole journey is amazing, you will love it! i’ve always thought that conquering the scariest things gives us the most reward. go get it girl!!!!!

70. Ken November 16, 2011 at 4:44 pm #

I’m a finisher of the AR of the AR50 back in 1994 back when Delmar Fralick was the race director. The race is really a tale of two marathons… the first half being run on the decomposed road edge of the American River Parkway, the second over fire roads and trails.

Make sure you practice a 3.5 mile climb with over 1500′ elevation gain.. that’s how the race finishes. I was a lucky man as I lived right off the parkway that year and ran most of the course prior to the race. Have a blast!!

Ken.

71. Alison Gittelman November 22, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

That’s so exciting! And so brave! When I decided to do an Ultra, I did a 50K….baby steps. It was easier than a marathon! Next year I plan to do another 50K and then JFK 50 mile…the race’s 50th anniversary!

May I recommend a book that I’ve found helpful? It’s called Relentless Forward Progress by ultrarunner Bryon Powell. You can get it from the irunfar.com web site. (I have no affiliation, just like the book!)

Good luck with the training! It’s a blast!

1. Oatmeal Toppings & Jealousy - November 10, 2011

[...] My Next Big Adventure Aron has registered for her first ultra-marathon, and not just any ultra, a 50 mile ultra. See how she is feeling about it. [...]

2. A Glimpse of What’s to Come | runner's rambles - November 13, 2011

[...] registering for my next big adventure, I have been reading up a lot on how exactly one trains for a 50 mile run.  Pretty much the [...]

3. Weekly Recap: What Happens in Vegas… | runner's rambles - December 7, 2011

[...] and I both start our big training cycles (for completely different races) this week, so we were using Vegas as our “last hurrah” of sorts.  I [...]

4. Pacing Plans | runner's rambles - December 14, 2011

[...] AR50 is fun! (source) [...]

5. American River 50: Week 3 | runner's rambles - January 2, 2012

[...] the pace really easy and took some walk breaks since I am working on this whole inertia thing for AR50 training.  Pretty soon I was done with 18 for the [...]

6. Race Report: 2012 CTR Crystal Springs 22 Miler | runner's rambles - January 8, 2012

[...] really want to start testing out different kinds of fuel for AR50, so going to a trail race is an excellent and easy place to start!  There was an aid station [...]

7. American River 50: My Plan | runner's rambles - January 12, 2012

[...] I decided to sign up and train for AR50, one of the things I was most excited about was being “new” to a distance again.  I was [...]

8. Race Report: 2012 ITR Brooks Falls Half Marathon | runner's rambles - January 24, 2012

[...] was going to be my biggest back to back weekend yet in AR50 training and after my 23 miler on Saturday, I have to say I was nervous for Sunday.  I ate as much [...]

9. Twenty Four | runner's rambles - February 3, 2012

[...] my spirits and energy.  I also have been doing the combo pavement/trail runs on purpose since AR50 goes from pavement for 26 miles to trails for the remainder.  I want my legs to know what it [...]

10. Race Report: 2012 CTR Golden Gate Marathon | runner's rambles - February 12, 2012

[...] I first started making my training plan for AR50, I printed out the dates of all the local trail races to see what matched up.  Running trail [...]

11. Race Report: 2012 Napa Valley Marathon | runner's rambles - March 4, 2012

[...] in the 20s!  I was getting pretty warm at this point, but knew it was really good training for AR50 since I will be running in the middle of the [...]

12. The Most Popular Question | runner's rambles - March 6, 2012

[...] I took this same philosophy into account when I set out to make my training plan for AR50.  The last 3 years I have consistently hit 2,000+ miles per year, so my body is used to [...]

13. The Breaking Point | runner's rambles - March 18, 2012

[...] decided to train for and run AR50 because I wanted a new challenge.  I wanted to set new goals, push new limits and see what I [...]

14. Product Review: Hydrapak E-Lite Vest | runner's rambles - March 21, 2012

[...] of the things at the top of my list to figure out before AR50 was how I wanted to carry my hydration.  There are numerous aid stations along the course, but [...]

15. My Run Self | runner's rambles - March 24, 2012

[...] I was running along today, on my last significant long run for AR50 (!!), I was trying to figure out why that is?  I have been running for 4 years now and have [...]

16. Taper Observations | runner's rambles - March 31, 2012

[...] Today is one week until AR50! [...]

17. American River 50: Week 17 | runner's rambles - April 2, 2012

[...] that doesn’t leave me feeling prepared for AR50, I don’t know what [...]

18. Meet My Crew | runner's rambles - April 4, 2012

[...] of the things I was really excited about when I signed up for AR50 was that you are allowed to have crew and pacers!  Whenever I have watched movies or read [...]

19. Race Report: 2012 American River 50, Part 2 | runner's rambles - April 9, 2012

[...] we left off, I was almost 27 miles into AR50, had a new pair of shoes and socks on, and had just picked up my first pacer Jojo.  We were [...]

20. American River 50: Week 18 | runner's rambles - April 12, 2012

[...] run before AR50!  I ran with my work friends but cut mine short to keep the miles low.  I was excited and [...]