This past weekend was the Philadelphia Marathon. When I would talk to runners over the weekend about the various races going on, I would always bring that one up and say “it’s on my list.”
That got me thinking, what is exactly on this “list” I always talk about? Although it has changed some since I first started running (and a few have been crossed off), a lot of it has stayed the same. I thought it would be fun to actually publish this list of races I want to run, so I could come back to it in the future for reference.
Checked two off my list with Boston 2 Big Sur!
In no particular order… here are the marathons on my to-do list (which I am limiting to 10):
- New York City Marathon: I have never been to NYC before and have always wanted to go! The marathon would be the perfect excuse, plus I think this race is probably on everyone’s to do list.
- Philadelphia Marathon: I am not sure why I have always wanted to run this race but I have! Philly sounds like a fun city to visit, plus this race is typically cold. One of these years I will run it!
- St. George Marathon: Not only does this race look beautiful, but it’s downhill! Like very downhill. It’s a lottery to get in, so it’s one I may have to try to get in a few times before it actually happens.
- Portland Marathon: Portland has always been on my list since I have this slight obsession with the city, even though I have never spent any significant amount of time in it. From everything I have heard, I am pretty sure I would love it and want to stay. Now that I DNSed this marathon this year, it’s even more on my list to run one year soon!
- Napa Marathon: A local marathon here in the Bay Area in March that runs through beautiful wine country and you get an awesome bag (important things people!). I have always wanted to run, but it has always been too close to CIM which I have done every year. I am actually considering it this year since I have to run ~26 miles that day anyways!
- Chicago Marathon: I have a lot of family in Illinois, so it would be fun to make a family trip out of it. Plus it’s one of the big marathons that I have heard great things about. I just wish I could pick one of the rare cold years to go run it!
- Berlin Marathon: I have never been to Europe and would love to go to Berlin and run this marathon. We actually have friends there right now which would make it very easy to accomplish, but it’s a big trip to take.
- London Marathon: Might as well round out the world major marathons on the list right? I have always wanted to visit London and what better way to get to know a city than to run through it!
- SLO Marathon: This is a brand new marathon this year but it’s in my “home.” Even though I didn’t grow up in SLO, I wasn’t far from it and SLO will always feel like home to me. Plus I went to college there. The course looks great winding through downtown, out to the vineyards and back around.
- Lake Tahoe Marathon: I love this lake for many reasons (getting engaged and married there!) plus its just simply beautiful! Running a marathon there would definitely be an experience and a new challenge with the altitude.
Am I missing any good ones I should add to my list?
I need some smaller, more scenic races – through New England or Washington in the fall. I also need a race in Canada! Any recommendations?
What races are on YOUR list?
Do we have any of the same ones?