In the Mood

I have noticed a change of my mood lately… I have been looking at all these races coming up and you know what, I actually want to participate.

I am in the mood to run races!

709220-7509-0027[3]

I used to want to run races all the time, and it wasn’t uncommon for me to race at least once a month, but this year (partially due to budget reasons) I have backed off racing so much.  I just haven’t really wanted to.

I don’t know if it’s the changing seasons, the contagious fall race atmosphere or what, but I can assure you I am not the only one this is happening to.

It seems Naomi, Alyssa and Page have all been busy as well… just to name a few.

photo 1 photo 2 photo 3

In the midst of this mood over the last week, I have signed up for 3 races… all this month.

Sept037

First up Mt. Diablo Half Marathon.

Yes that’s this weekend.  Yes it’s going to hurt and it’s going to be hard.  But yes it’s going to be so much fun!  I am really excited to get out on the trails for a long run and to run a trail race!  It’s been a while.

With Amy at last year’s turkey trot
davistt

Next up is the Davis Turkey Trot 10k.

This is still the only 10k I have run, but it’s a tradition with Amy!  This will be our 3rd year in a row running it.  It’s definitely not going to be speedy, or close to a PR, but it might encourage me to run a little faster than usual.  Plus I love running around Davis and there is always promise of yummy food after with my friend who I don’t get to see nearly enough.

Lastly, the Walnut Creek Turkey Trot 5k.

I love running on Thanksgiving morning!  Chris and I ran this race 2 years ago and it was so fun.  Last year we were out of town, but I am really excited to run it again this year with a ton of friends.  Everyone I talk to seems to be running!

With these short races maybe I should get to the track for a week or 2 to wake up those muscles?  Ehh we will see.

I have a few other races that I am very much eyeing and have gone through the entire registration process without hitting submit just yet.  I don’t want to go overboard and sign up for/commit to too many things, but it’s also pretty fun to register.

All of these races do align with my off season goals.  Both with trail running and with running short races without feeling the need to interpret them into a time for an upcoming marathon (which I have had troubles with in the past).  Just because I am not in PR shape doesn’t mean I shouldn’t run if I want to!  I purely want to go be a part of the running community and feed off the race atmosphere.  I can’t wait.

If YOU are in the mood to sign up for a race, I might be able to help you out.

sfm350

One of my favorite races, The San Francisco Marathon, has offered my friends $10 off the current registration fee.  This race has so many great options, and I am trying to decide which half I will be running in 2012.  It will be my 5th consecutive year of running one of the events which means I will be a legacy runner!

So sign up to join me that weekend, use ARONFFTEN for $10 off – it expires 11/11, so don’t delay!

Have you signed up for any races lately?

, ,

20 Responses to In the Mood

1. Alyssa November 1, 2011 at 9:36 pm #

Oh my, Mt. Diablo is THIS weekend!! Weeeee! You are going to have so much fun — can’t wait to here how it goes! And yes, definitely ’tis the season. :)

2. Rena @ milehogger.blogspot.com November 1, 2011 at 10:20 pm #

Good luck with your trail half. It sounds like it will be fun.

I am not sure about races yet. I have one for sure scheduled on my birthday, Jan 15, 13.1 marathon LA. But since I am graduating in May, I don’t know where I would end up after May.

And you’re so lucky you get to do a Turkey Trot. I am not sure if there will be one near me on Thanksgiving.

3. Kristine @ Running on Hungry November 1, 2011 at 10:21 pm #

I love this post! And I’m thinking I’ll do the SF 1/2 next summer too!!

4. Kristin November 1, 2011 at 10:28 pm #

I’ll be in town for the Walnut Creek turkey trot- I’m running the 10K :)

5. Alisa November 2, 2011 at 7:31 am #

I’m trying VERY HARD to resist signing up for anything since I’m just returning to running and there aren’t any tri’s anytime soon =). Secretly, I’m hoping to be able to run a turkey trot but I don’t want to sign up for anything yet. However, it’s getting harder b/c Justin and Zach are planning their summer 50 miler and I want to be planning out my summer races too =(.

Glad you’re feeling better and getting out there. Mt Diablo should be tons of fun, tough, but fun!

One of these years I’ll run the SF half.

• Aron November 5, 2011 at 6:01 pm #

YES you need to come run the SF half one of these years :)

6. Page November 2, 2011 at 8:07 am #

Love that it’s RACE TIME again! And a trail half this weekend?! Good luck!

7. marlene November 2, 2011 at 8:21 am #

yayyyyy exciting to see some races on the calendar! So nice to go into them without the pressure of time goals, too!

8. Rena @ milehogger.blogspot.com November 2, 2011 at 8:25 am #

That’s so cool. In that case, you should seriously consider hopping down to So Cal and run the 13.1 marathon LA.

9. J November 2, 2011 at 8:41 am #

I so want to run a Turkey trot but sadly there is none around where we will be visiting family for thanksgiving :( I am slightly bummed. I will definitely still get out for a run! Good luck this weekend in the race!

• Aron November 5, 2011 at 6:02 pm #

Yes just make your own turkey trot! :)

10. Joanne November 2, 2011 at 11:39 am #

Those sound like great races.
    I’m with you on losing the thrill of racing. This past summer, I was really trying to PR every race. I had an AWESOME 5K but that came about because I ran angry. Seriously, if I could work up a good grizzly bear inside me, I’d be an elite! But that doesn’t happen every day.
    So the more I raced this summer,the more defeated I got. So I skipped any race in Oct., the month before my PA marathon and now I’m scared and have no clue what to expect from those 26.2 miles on the 20th of this month.
    I hate that feeling. I want the excitement back of the first marathon when you just pray that you make it to the finish and not worry about whether or not you’ll meet or exceed you last race times.

• Aron November 5, 2011 at 6:03 pm #

Amen. Know exactly what you are saying. I struggled with that a lot this year, but I have shifted gears some and feel better about it all.

11. Angela @ MyPinkyToes November 2, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

Good luck with your halves coming up!!! You will do great no matter what!

12. The Blonde November 2, 2011 at 9:47 pm #

Funny how getting out of racing actually ends up motivating you directly back into it! I’m glad you are racing for fun! I don’t do it often enough. Although, I backed off this past half marathon and raced for fun. I think the upcoming marathon will be “fun” as well because it certainly won’t be fast!

13. Rachel November 2, 2011 at 11:42 pm #

i’m excited for you to pull the trigger on a certain epic race…. ; )

in the meantime, these 3 look like lots of fun!

14. Naomi November 3, 2011 at 7:32 am #

Signing up for a new race is almost as exciting as running one! I’m excited that you’re getting the itch again! I just wish races didn’t fill up so quickly so we didn’t have to register 6+ months in advance. Thanks for the SFM code – I’m excited to run the 2H again!

15. RunToTheFinish November 3, 2011 at 8:39 am #

I think since I recently took the pressure off to perform in any way, I am really excited for all kinds of races right now too!

• Aron November 5, 2011 at 6:04 pm #

It makes such a big difference :) it’s ok to have that pressure sometimes, but it’s nice to not have it on all the time ;)

16. Rene November 3, 2011 at 8:49 am #

Have fun at the races! Fall running is so much fun and helps keep the focus on training rather than gaining lbs over the holidays :-)