A Glimpse of What’s to Come

Since registering for my next big adventure, I have been reading up a lot on how exactly one trains for a 50 mile run.  Pretty much the main thing I have taken away from anything I read is back to back long runs is the best way to prepare.

Back to back long runs?  Count me in!

I will get more into more details of how I am planning on tackling my training in the coming weeks, but this weekend was a little glimpse into what the next 4+ months will probably be looking like.  My two longest runs of the week were on Saturday and Sunday… and the best part, they were both on trails!

Tricia, XLMIC and me!
3runners

Saturday I met up with two new running friends, XLMIC and Tricia for a trail run at Lake Chabot.  I had been to this lake to run once before, but did a much different route that day then we did this weekend.  I have been chatting with XLMIC for a while now between twitter and blogging, but had yet to meet her.  I was very looking forward to getting to know her over a couple hours on the trails!  I personally think running is one of the best ways to get to know someone.

Nov 016

We made our way around the lake and onto the dirt trails with some serious climbs, but the miles just flew by.

Nov 022

We chatted away the entire time about anything and everything, while of course taking in the beautiful views around us.

Nov 015

12 miles later we were back at the start.  Not only did I leave this run with a set of tired legs and a happy running heart, I also left with 2 new friends who I am excited to get to know even better over future runs.

Nov 035a

Sunday Chris and I planned on our Sunday trail date and I found a route for us to try out in Tilden Park.  I had never been to this portion of Tilden before and was excited to explore some new trails.

Nov 039

It was a perfect morning and my senses were on overload with all the florescent colors of fall everywhere and the sounds of the water running through the creeks.  We started climbing and went up for a few miles and I was able to run quite a bit of it, just taking a couple walk breaks on the steeper sections.

That’s Mt. Diablo back there!
Nov 044

We were rewarded with some amazing view of the Bay Area when we got to the top, then continued our way down back into the trees on tons of single track trails.  This was definitely my favorite part.

Nov 058

Almost 9 miles later we were back at the car with muddy legs and a big smile on my face.  I am seriously loving this.

Although this is just a tiny portion of what my runs will be looking like over the next couple months, it was a perfect place to start and a great way to start building up to the big stuff.

Nov 055

I can’t wait!

, ,

19 Responses to A Glimpse of What’s to Come

1. irunthere4iam November 13, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

Wow, that is some beautiful scenery for your runs! For my first 50-miler, I sort of just registered on a whim (I was 23, so I didn’t put much thought into my decisions!). I was doing some training for the Marine Corps and I ended up finishing the Old Dominion 50-miler in 9:51, which wasn’t too bad for not training. What I found actually helped me more than any of my runs was hiking with gear on. Our culminating training hike was 20 miles with about 60lbs of gear to carry. It helped build up my endurance, and it sure makes it seam easier when you drop the weight! I’ve never seen anyone recommend this for ultra training, but from practice, I know that it works.

2. Alyssa November 13, 2011 at 7:03 pm #

3. Jo Lynn November 13, 2011 at 8:56 pm #

A HA! I was right about it being Chabot. I love that place. Beautiful pictures. I seriously need to get back to Chabot though. You will have to fill me in on what loop the girls took you on. xoxoxo

4. XLMIC November 13, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

So that dirt road that Chris is running up… I think I know that road! I never go UP that way… that is LONG (about a mile and a half) and all uphill…if it’s the one I think it is, anyway. So great to meet you and run with you :) Looking forward to doing it more!

5. Lazy chick November 13, 2011 at 11:02 pm #

I did trail today too with my BFF! I love trail running but I’m really really bad with it, I’m useless when it comes to hills. I’m thinking about doing th brazen 1/2 marathon at lake chabot 1/1!

• Aron November 15, 2011 at 10:37 am #

You should do it!! They put on a great race :)

6. michelle November 14, 2011 at 1:45 am #

Good luck with your training. I’m excited to follow you along in this journey

7. marlene November 14, 2011 at 6:20 am #

You are DEFINITELY cut out for this!!

I really grew to love back to back long runs when training for Goofy. You are going to be eating a LOT on Saturdays. ;)

• Aron November 15, 2011 at 10:37 am #

I told Chris the other day… I am going to get to eat SO MUCH FOOD! hah.

8. Naomi November 14, 2011 at 6:27 am #

how fun! and these are 2 more trails that i need to explore!

9. shelly November 14, 2011 at 7:34 am #

Sounds like you are off to a great start to loads of time on your feet. Whether your running, hiking or just walking the trails that’s what finishing a 50 is all about. With your love of trails I can only imagine how well you are going to do. It’s going to be a blast following you for the next 4ish months!

10. danica November 14, 2011 at 10:41 am #

Ahhh your trail runs look so pretty! What a great way to spend the weekend :)

11. Laura November 14, 2011 at 11:13 am #

I don’t long run on Saturdays but do a killer spin class and a session we call Satan’s bootcamp after spin.
    It feels like a long run but as our coach says: You have to learn to run on tired legs…
    Great weekend!

12. RunningLaur November 14, 2011 at 11:22 am #

You’re definitely starting the right way in your training! My suggestion as learned from this weekend: Try to spend extra time on your feet as much as you can, just to toughen up your feet. If you can do your long runs and then spend even more time during your weekend walking around (errands, housework, anything to keep standing and moving) can be a big help!

• Aron November 15, 2011 at 10:38 am #

Great idea… I actually ended up doing quite a bit of that on Sunday! I will keep that in mind… TIME ON FEET!

13. RunToTheFinish November 14, 2011 at 12:23 pm #

so many beautiful places to run!! that would definitely make 50 sound more fun :)

14. Tricia November 14, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

I’m impressed you did 9 more trail miles on Sunday. Well done you — that 12 we did pretty much took me down for the rest of the day. But so worth it. Great to meet you and here’s to more trail runs!

15. Beth November 15, 2011 at 7:26 am #

At the very least, your training is going to be beautiful! Have lots of fun with it!

16. Susan - Nurse on the Run November 16, 2011 at 10:29 am #

XLMIC is awesome!! So glad you got to run with her :)