Weekly Recap: Because I Want To

Even though I am in the “off season” and am not following a training plan, I still sometimes have trouble with not running.  When I don’t run I feel guilty, I have a hard time letting it go and I am constantly adding up mileage in my head.  If you could see inside my running brain it would be a massive spreadsheet of numbers always totaling to a weekly or monthly mileage (or maybe that’s my accountant brain).  While I think this is fun and can be very motivating, I know I need to get over it and it is part of what I am trying to and have been accomplishing this off season.

Running just because I want to.

I was faced with this challenge a couple of times this past week.  I had other commitments or sleep won the battle with my alarm, which left me not having time to run or having to choose between running and something else (spinning!).  Those days I probably had time to run after work, but after a long commute home I just didn’t want to, so I didn’t.  During marathon training I would never do this and would always get myself out the door to run (and always be glad I did), but right now, I am trying to take advantage of not having to run and just letting myself relax.  I am working out a lot, I am loving running, so why get all crazy on myself the days I just don’t want to?  I am doing my best and can’t expect myself to run that much every single week right now especially when I am cross-training too.  I have potential big plans for the spring and need to go into that training refreshed and ready to tackle a big training plan.

So this week my motto became because I want to.  I listened to that part of my brain and that’s exactly when I ran.

Monday
rest

After a really big previous week, I didn’t set my alarm early and left my workout clothes at home.  A rest day was needed and I made sure I took it!

Tuesday
am: 8 mile run
pm: 5 mile run

I met my usual Tuesday morning group for a run and we went on our hillier 8 mile route.  My legs weren’t sore after Nike, so I felt pretty good on this run.  Plus I had on new shoes which always make a run great!

8.0 miles/1:12:24/9:03 avg pace

That night I went to team lemon run club and Kristin and I had a lot to talk about so we ended up running 5 miles.  13 for the day!

5.0 miles /44:10/8:50 avg pace

Wednesday
5 mile run
1 hour spin

I met up early with Kristin for an easy run, then I went to work, worked for a bit then hit up spin class!

5.0 miles/54:55/9:11 avg pace

Thursday
1 hour yoga

I had to be in San Francisco first thing Thursday morning so we didn’t have our usual Thursday morning run.  I thought about running before, but that would require being out the door at 5am and that just didn’t happen.  I thought about running after work, but that didn’t happen either.  I really just can’t get myself out the door after a long commute home lately!  I was kind of cranky for not running but just made myself get over it.

I did however go to my second yoga class where there was also an earthquake!  Luckily I wasn’t in a pose, but was laying on my back and was watching all the lights swaying above me praying they didn’t fall down.  We did a ton of leg stretches and I was shaking many times during that hour.

Friday
1 hour spin

I woke up so sore from yoga and decided to skip running that morning but did get to a spin class!  I am loving these spin classes.  I had considered running after work, but once again did not want to, so I didn’t.

photo 3

Saturday
10 mile trail run

Trail run with Chris!

9.7 miles/1:43:28/10:40 avg pace

Sunday
rest

Another day with good intentions that didn’t work out.  I had my alarm set to run early before I needed to leave to drive to SLO for the week, but my bed won.  I did however have the best day ever with my mom eating, drinking, shopping and chatting.

Totals for the week:
Running – 27.7 miles
Spinning – 2 hours
Yoga – 1 hour

So although my running went way down from last week, it was still a great week!  I was probably due a cutback week from running anyways.  Plus since I don’t have gym access this week, it will be a running heavy week.

13 Responses to Weekly Recap: Because I Want To

1. irunthere4iam October 24, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

Love this, because i want to….what a simple, and yet very powerful thought!!!

2. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy October 24, 2011 at 9:50 pm #

I love that you’re just allowing yourself to go with the flow. I need to do that more often. I’m already noticing that after a few weeks of lower mileage (after finishing Victoria Marathon), my hip and hamstring that have been so tight are much happier now. It’s a gift I’m giving my body – a little down time. I also love how many great classes you’re able to take at work. Awesome!

3. Kristen (inspiredbydooce) October 25, 2011 at 3:26 am #

I feel guilty even in the off season too- but I’ve been allowing myself to go with the flow more as well. Usually I do a bit of a longer run on the weekend because I have the time. This Sunday it was cold and the thought of a longer run wasn’t appealing at all. So I headed out for a short run and did a few hill repeats. Definitely the right choice to make. I was much happier doing that then forcing myself to do a long run.

4. J October 25, 2011 at 5:19 am #

Sometimes its great just to sleep in and not worry about running. I often feel guilty too when i don’t run. I am often grumpy as well if I don’t run. I enjoy a little bit of structure each week even when I am in off season mode – I just go to the running group and run the workout. Makes me feel like I am actually doing something each week even when I am not training hard!

5. Tia October 25, 2011 at 6:11 am #

I say all that was still a huge success :)

6. Carolina John October 25, 2011 at 6:23 am #

That’s a solid week alright. 27 miles is still a lot for the off season.

7. marlene October 25, 2011 at 6:45 am #

These is NO SHAME in this week, girlie! That is where I am at now for the rest of the year – running when/if/because I want to. It’s refreshing!

8. Denise October 25, 2011 at 9:29 am #

my brain never stops but i never get hooked on weekly mileage, etc. it actually surprises me b/c i’m so focused and structured with everything. i make sure i get my workouts in each week and follow a schedule, but i couldnt’ tell you how many miles i ran last week.

9. kristen October 25, 2011 at 10:28 am #

I totally understand your feelings of guilt and constantly analzing workouts and mileage etc. I finally overcame it but it came at the cost of a major injury that forced me out of running for several months. I’m glad you went back for more yoga. That’s another reason I’m better about it. I slowly started living in the present (annoying yogi talk, I know) and just being grateful for what my body is capable of that I was able to let go of the uptighness.

Of course, when I’m ‘training’ (opposed to in the off season) I am all balls to the wall. But for now – be nice to yourself!! There will come a time soon when you will relish in spreadsheets again.

and yay! for trail running.

10. janae@hungryrunnergirl.com October 25, 2011 at 11:12 am #

I think my brain is filled with running spreadsheets also:) Keep doing the weekly updates even in the off season because I love reading about your workouts!

11. Rachel October 25, 2011 at 11:18 am #

i’m struggling with this, too. i feel like i should be running, even though i’m still getting my sweat on, just with different things. but then again i spent the better part of the last two years in some sort of training plan, so i guess this isn’t too surprising. good for you for just doing what you want to!

12. Amber from Girl with the Red Hair October 25, 2011 at 11:38 am #

I am the same way – constantly adding the numbers in my head even when I don’t NEED to be running because I’m not training for anything right now. I know I will be marathon training soon enough so I should enjoy this time without a plan but it’s hard sometimes! I felt SO GUILTY for not having a long run planned last weekend!

You are doing lots of cross-training so you’re just fine :) I love that you’re getting so into yoga :) :)

I would love to hear more about these awesome workout perks you have at your job, if you want to/can blog about it :)