The First Glimpse

Yesterday it happened.  Something that I wait all year for, dream all summer about and relish every second of when it actually happens.

The first glimpse of fall.

1121.2

I met Sarah for an early morning run yesterday, assuming it would be just a normal morning run like I have been having lately.  I was excited for a new route and a new friend to run with and hoped for a little bit of rain to carry over from the night before.

It was still dark when we started running, heading into the hills of Oakland, but I welcomed the morning darkness along with all the other changes of the season.

The air had a chill and crisp in it I haven’t felt in months.  It also had a freshness to it that only appears after the first real rain of the season.

As we made our way up through the beautiful homes, the sun started rising and the colorful leaves started appearing.  Magenta, orange, yellow.  All florescent against the wet sidewalks and the color jumping at you from the trees.  I typically don’t notice leaves changing this early, but these ones jumped out at me and I couldn’t help but notice.

The chill in the air, the wet ground, the leaves.  It was definitely my first glimpse of fall and I think I ran the whole time with a big smile on my face because of it.  I hadn’t expected to see it just yet, but wow was I happy I noticed.

Later that morning as I sat at work listening to the rain hit the ceiling while wearing boots and a scarf, I just smiled.  I love this time of year and everything that comes with it.  All summer long I dream of running in the fall and winter and am so excited the season change is here.

What do you love about fall?

Um, pretty much everything!  Boots, coats, scarves, long sleeves, crops, changing leaves, cool weather… shall I keep going?

, , ,

16 Responses to The First Glimpse

1. marlene October 6, 2011 at 6:19 am #

Oh goodie!!! This is the BEST time of year. So crisp and refreshing, although I was freezing for my ENTIRE run this morning. Brrr. But I’m not complaining. :)

I love the cozy clothes, the warm drinks, mittens, the colors & sounds of the leaves…

2. Laura October 6, 2011 at 8:21 am #

I love fall, but the torrential downpour I did my tempo run in Portland yesterday was a bit much. I love wearing sweaters :)

3. Jana October 6, 2011 at 9:35 am #

My list is similiar to yours. Coming from Seattle, I love the sound of rain winding its way down through the gutters. Wearing my Uggs (when Leonard isn’t cuddling with them), scarves (which I will wear in summer too!), the crunch of the leaves and the moments of snuggling under the blankets to keep warm. I love this time of year! Makes me miss home :-)

4. Rachel October 6, 2011 at 9:46 am #

fall is my favorite season by far! scarves, sweaters, boots, fires, rain, colorful leaves, pumpkin, warm drinks (cocoa!), perfect running temps. it’s all good to me!

5. Angela @ MyPinkyToes October 6, 2011 at 10:16 am #

While fall isn’t MY favorite season, it is my husband’s favorite…therefore I love fall because I can talk him into going for walks with me or just sitting outside on the deck. I also love scarves and hats, and I can’t wait to bust them out! Right now I am also loving running in the fall…for some reason the leaves smell sooooo good!

6. Morgan October 6, 2011 at 12:31 pm #

I tell you that’s the hardest part about injured right now is that I’m missing the most amazing views while out running. I’ve been making it a point to get out for walks though. Take a look at my new header image, just snapped it last night. *Swoon* Enjoy the fall in Cali!!!

7. J October 6, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

LOVE FALL!! The leaves have already started to change here and it is just beautiful! I love the cooler temps and sunshine! Best time of year!

8. Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled October 6, 2011 at 3:51 pm #

Fall is the best season for all those reasons you listed and also because it brings out the baking bug in me and it means the holidays are near.

Bring on the pumpkin everything, the fall leaves, and the cool weather. I’m ready for it!

9. Kelsey October 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm #

So pretty! I love the crispy-ness of it! ANd am SO glad that hot mess of a summer is OVER!

10. Jo Lynn October 6, 2011 at 10:12 pm #

OMG, you should see all the sweaters, scarves, hats and gloves we already have out at work. All the Smartwool products are so gorgeous. I’m dying inside!! ;)

11. suki October 6, 2011 at 11:21 pm #

i love it because it means we start getting warm weather here. ;) but seriously, the cool crisp air is pretty nice too.

12. Susan - Nurse on the Run October 7, 2011 at 6:13 am #

I love crunching through the leaves and those runs that are simply comfortable…shorts and tanks/short sleeves/long sleeves without being HOT HOT HOT yet without the chills around. Cool, crisp air. Followed by a nice cup of coffee. And jeans and sweatshirt…

13. Nelly October 7, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

Great post! My favorite runs are during the fall too – the trees are gorgeous,and the weather is generally perfect for running. I like this season before it starts raining heavily though. My favorite part about fall is football and running!

14. Ali @ Ali Runs October 9, 2011 at 2:28 pm #

I love your description of your run! :) I love fall weather!! The cool, crispness in the air. LOVE!

1. Friday Favorites | runner's rambles - October 7, 2011

[...] been a good week with a lot of favorites.  Fall has arrived, I got to run in the pouring rain (yes that’s a favorite) while wearing a running vest (!!), and [...]

2. Weekly Recap: A Runderful Week | runner's rambles - October 9, 2011

[...] met up with Sarah for my first glimpse of fall.  Had a great run chatting with her, staring at the leaves and enjoying the crisp air.  [...]