Flashback Friday: 19 Half Marathons

I was sitting at my desk the other day thinking about the upcoming Nike Women’s Half Marathon this weekend, when it suddenly occurred to me that it was going to be my 20th half marathon!

I went back and added up all my races to make sure this number was right, and sure enough it is.  The big number twenty is here.

Since we all know I am a numbers freak and also a lover of reminiscing, I thought it would be fun to take a quick glance back at all those 19 previous half marathons before I tackled #20 this weekend.

All of my race reports are linked on my races page

#1 – 2008 See Jane Run 1:51:03

My very first half marathon!  I went with Kristin and Tara and was so happy with how I did.  I surprised myself and loved every second of the race.

champagne

#2 – 2008 San Jose Rock’n Roll 1:51:15

Only my second half marathon and still one of my least favorites.  It was hot, it was boring, my IT band was being a brat, I was just not a fan.  It was still a fun day with friends!

IMG00150

#3 – 2008 Healdsburg Half Marathon 1:48:14

The first of 3 times I ran that race and it still is one of my very favorites.  I loved the course, I loved the party after and I loved running with my two friends from high school!  I got a big PR at this race while training for CIM the first time.

451766120705_0_ALB

#4 – 2009 Kaiser Half Marathon 1:48:58

A very fun morning with the girls!  This run kicked off my training for the Eugene Marathon and I was very happy with how I did since I was just ramping up my training with no speed work.

#5 – 2009 Shamrock’n Half Marathon 1:44:27

In the middle of training for the Eugene Marathon and I got a huge PR!  I still love love this race and was so surprised and thrilled when I came in sub 1:45.  It was definitely a good day.

DSC05005

#6 – 2009 Napa to Sonoma Half Marathon 1:50:33

A very warm day running through Napa.  This was the first time (and maybe only?) I have walked in a half marathon because I was so hot.  There was wine waiting at the finish line though!  I am not sure I recommend rehydrating with chardonnay after a hot half marathon, but we definitely did.  Such a fun day.

6568_1196313230021_1294178028_30573775_4721021_n

#7 – 2009 San Francisco Half Marathon (1st half) 2:02:45

I ran the whole thing with Danica!  We were opposite twins kind of on accident and had so much fun running the streets of SF together.

5615_508367796126_142500306_30345323_7930935_n

#8 – 2009 Nike Women’s Half Marathon 2:05:49

This was 2 weeks after the Cowtown Marathon and I just used it to cruise for a long run.  I ran with Tara the whole time and we had fun chatting away and being greeted with a Tiffany’s necklace at the end.

dsc05617b

#9 – 2009 Healdsburg Half Marathon 1:45:37

I was training for CIM again (where I BQed!) and used this as a hard long run.  I ran with Katie the whole time and had a great race thanks to her.  This was the first (and only?) time I have raced a race with someone next to me.  She was great and I was really happy with how I did.

12134_207018303008_525528008_3968894_6323976_n

#10 – 2010 Bear Creek Trail Half Marathon 2:55:52

Another race with Katie many months later and quite a different scene.  It had been raining a ton and we were running a very hilly trail half marathon.  Yes it took us almost 3 hours!  It was so muddy that Katie’s shoes kept being pulled off and we were slipping and sliding everywhere.  Although it was fun, the mud was tough after so many miles of it.  But we made it to the finish with big smiles on our faces!

IMG_2388

#11 – 2010 Surf City Half Marathon 1:58:25

Fun half marathon for Kristin’s birthday!  I ran with her the whole time and Danica most of the time too.  It was a warm day in Southern California and the course was not my favorite, but I had fun running with the birthday girl!

2-6_7-10-051_800

#12 – 2010 Shamrock’n Half Marathon (PR!) 1:42:39

Still my current PR!  This is still one of my very favorite racing memories, everything clicked and I just had a great day.  I still remember the adrenaline pumping through me at Mile 11 and I was just moving.  Hopefully I will be able to break this someday!

Picture1 209

#13 – 2010 Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon 2:06:22

This race was not my best idea ever.  I had ran the Big Sur Marathon, then The Relay the next weekend, and then this half marathon the weekend after that.  I was toast to say the least.  Luckily I had my friend Jess to run with the whole time and was able to make a fun morning out of it and take in some beautiful wine country.

2010 SB Wine Country Half Marathon 017

#14 – 2010 See Jane Run Half Marathon 1:47:08

This was a tough, warm day, but it was fun to have so many friends out running too!

2010 See Jane Run 007

#15 – 2010 San Francisco Half Marathon (2nd half) 1:46:19

After a summer of semi-minimal running, I really surprised myself and ran a great race.  I loved the 2nd half course and once again had a fun morning with so many friends.

img00113-20100725-0807

#16 – 2010 Long Beach Half Marathon 1:47:04

I used this race as a marathon goal pace run while training for CIM.  I nailed the race just as planned, then ran a few more extra miles to cheer on all my friends running the full.  Another great race with so many friends.

67608_442358523998_672318998_5368824_2451687_n

#17 – 2010 Healdsburg Half Marathon 1:46:21

This was the 3rd time I ran Healdsburg, and although I still loved the course, I had a tough day.  My legs wouldn’t move and I just never found my zone.  Luckily, yet again, there was a huge group of us out running too.

HH-APM2

#18 – 2011 Davis Stampede Half Marathon 1:48:26

After a week of being sick and travelling I still went out and started at PR pace for this half marathon since I was training for Boston and thought I was in PR shape.  I fell apart early on from exhaustion and really struggled and considered quitting.  I did finish though and learned a lot of lessons from the experience.

DS1

#19 – 2011 See Jane Run Half Marathon 1:50:47

Not my best race, not my worst, but the 3rd time I ran See Jane Run and was pretty happy with my pacing and effort since I was just coming off the Boston to Big Sur challenge.

SJR1

Next up! #20 – 2011 Nike Women’s Marathon this weekend!

There is a huge group of Bay Area runners running and I am so excited to see everyone and feed off of some race atmosphere.  It’s a fun day, a tough course, but so much great swag.  I can’t wait for the Tiffany’s at the finish line!

Who else is running NWM?

, ,

29 Responses to Flashback Friday: 19 Half Marathons

1. marlene October 14, 2011 at 6:44 am #

#20 WOWZERS! Love this little summary of your previous halfs (I never know if I should write ‘halves’ – lol). So fun to look back…

Have a blast this weekend!!!

2. Lauren October 14, 2011 at 7:18 am #

I would love to run the Nike Women’s half next year!! It’s on my bucket list :)

3. Courtney October 14, 2011 at 7:37 am #

OMGOSH! I think tomorrow is like, race 17 for me. :)

4. Holly October 14, 2011 at 7:51 am #

love the recaps!! i so want to join y’all for the party–hopefully i can get in next year :)

have a blast!!

5. Faye October 14, 2011 at 7:55 am #

Wow, love this HALF MARATHON summary!! I’ll be at Nike!!! Sill fur-reaking out about the hills :(

6. Page October 14, 2011 at 7:58 am #

I’m so impressed that you were able to recount every one of these! Can’t wait for this weekend – go get em!

7. Ashley October 14, 2011 at 8:20 am #

I’ll be running NWM– but the full mary! It will be my FIRST full! That tiffany necklace better be good…. ;)

Hope I run into you!

8. Kate October 14, 2011 at 8:39 am #

I’ve run the NWM 1/2 twice but will be running the full this weekend. So excited, and I hope the necklace is good this year!

9. runner26 October 14, 2011 at 8:45 am #

that’s a lot of halfs! love the look back – so fun to reminisce. good luck @ nike womens

10. katie October 14, 2011 at 8:51 am #

WOW! that’s a lot of races. have fun this weekend!

11. Celia October 14, 2011 at 8:54 am #

I wish I was running. Getting a tiffany’s necklace at the end is awesome! One day…Good luck and have fun!

12. Jana October 14, 2011 at 9:30 am #

WOO-HOO! Congrats on your upcoming #20. NWM will be my 13th full. I’m hoping 13 is lucky in this case :-)

13. Kelly October 14, 2011 at 10:13 am #

you make me want to run lots of halves! (halfs? hmm). And especially the Shamrock Half – seems like a great PR course! Good luck this weekend – I’d love ot run the Nike SF half one day!

14. Nelly October 14, 2011 at 11:00 am #

That is a cool recap! 20 half marathons in only 3 years is a ton! That is really cool that you have a picture from each one! Good luck at Nike Womens!

15. Naomi October 14, 2011 at 11:12 am #

I remember reading your race recaps for most of these races! I’m excited that this weekend is a milestone race! Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday!

16. jeri October 14, 2011 at 11:45 am #

so this blog post tells me I started reading your blog either around half marathon #3 or #4. that’s crazy in itself!

good luck on #20 aron!

17. shelly October 14, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

Great recap of your 19 13.1s. What a milestone to get to twenty! I hope it’s a great experience. Run Strong.

18. Anamarie October 14, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

Hi! It’s this weekendn is Nike Marathon weekend — some runners run the magical 26.2 — and it’s going to be my first! :)

19. Angela @ MyPinkyToes October 14, 2011 at 4:19 pm #

Good luck at your half this weekend! Twenty half marathons is amazing!!! I’m training for just my second right now! :)

20. PavementRunner October 14, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

You’ve run some wonderful races. Congrats on the previous 19 and the future number 20. Keep running strong!

21. Sarah October 14, 2011 at 7:26 pm #

20 -what an accomplishment! Good luck this weekend!

22. Beth October 15, 2011 at 2:49 am #

That is a lot of halves! I love the little recap of each one. The NWM half course is so much fun! Have a great race :)

23. Lisa October 15, 2011 at 7:48 am #

It is great that you have so many running friends to do these races with. Have you ever run a race all by yourself? Does is make a difference for you?

Hey…I have a half marathon for you that you will definitely break that PR. It is fun and downhill. In fact, I am not sure I can run any other race as fast as I ran Fontana. I put an asterisk in front of that PR. But it is very fun to run that fast.

Good luck in Nike Women’s! I WILL run that someday. Third time’s the charm, right? I hope to get in the lottery next year.

24. Christine October 15, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

Amazing!!! Good luck!!

25. Jess October 15, 2011 at 5:59 pm #

Wow that’s so many! Good luck tomorrow!

26. Susan - Nurse on the Run October 16, 2011 at 3:21 pm #

I love that I actually remember reading about these as you ran them…so fun!

27. The Blonde October 16, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

Wow! I didn’t realize you had run Healdsburg 3x! I will be channeling you as I run it on the 29th! Wish you could be there! But, I’m crossing my fingers for Sunday! :)

28. RoseRunner October 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm #

Love this post. Halfs are the best, and you are a Nor-Cal (ok, ALL California) master. Somewhat regretful I haven’t run the Healdsburg half yet. Next year? ;)

29. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy October 28, 2011 at 9:28 am #

IO remember that I first started reading you after one of your wine country halfs with your girlfriends. So glad I found your blog. Keep up the good work!