DNS

Yesterday was the Portland Marathon.

portland
(source)

You know that marathon I was supposed to go and run a PR at?  The one that was supposed to be my goal race for the year until I decided to back out

Yah that one.

The PR Plan.
Portland2

As I sat on the couch yesterday morning tracking my friends online, I told Chris "I am supposed to be running a marathon right now." But I wasn’t, not at all.

Today I had a friend ask me how I felt about it. If I was sad I wasn’t there or if I was jealous or felt like I missed out?  Honestly I didn’t really feel much at all towards the day.  Mostly it felt like any other Sunday, but I know I felt a few things.

Jen and me!
03.10 sf run 015

I was sad I wasn’t in Portland hanging out with my friend Jen.
I wasn’t jealous at all of all the people who were out there running.
I was actually happy and relieved I wasn’t one of them running a marathon yesterday.
Most of all, I was glad the “DNS day” was behind me.

So I guess that means I made the right choice.

I used to always be jealous on big race days that I wasn’t running too, but I wasn’t at all yesterday and that’s totally fine.  I know when I get that envious feeling back again, then it will be time to train hard for another marathon.

713749-6074-0013s1

With marathon training, you have to have that want and the fire to make big things happen, and this fall I didn’t have that in me.  I am so glad I recognized it sooner rather than later, because I am loving my running life right now and know that spark for something big will be found very soon.  I have found the spark for the little things lately and that’s just as important too.

In the meantime, I am glad I don’t have think about 10/9 when I get asked if I have anything big coming up because as much as I know it was the right choice, it does still sting a little to know I didn’t follow through.  But now it’s over, passed and done and time to move on.

But don’t worry Portland, you are still very high on my to do list and I will cross that finish line one of these years.

DSC_0054

Congrats to all the amazing runners yesterday who completed one of the many races that took place yesterday!  There were some amazing stories that took place on the roads yesterday and I can’t wait to read about them all.  I hope you are all basking in the post race glow and drinking a lot of beer doing a lot of celebrating!

Have you ever DNS’ed a big race?

, , ,

20 Responses to DNS

1. Devon @FastFoodie October 10, 2011 at 6:29 pm #

I have DNS’d a few big races. Usually is has been because of being sick, but there have been a few occasions where my heart wasn’t into the race (usually a training race) and I knew I just couldn’t go into it half heartedly!

You totally made the right call. When you are hungry for it again, it will be the right time!

2. Marlene October 10, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

Definitely sounds like you made the right call. In my first couple years of distance running, I had to DNS a few major races due to injuries/setbacks… it always stung a little BUT I did make it back to all of those races in later years for my redemption, and I know you’ll do the same when the time is right!

3. Celia October 10, 2011 at 6:44 pm #

I DNS two marathons when I was injured last year. This year I was going to do the Tallinn Marathon after the Iceland Marathon, but chose to focus on Steamtown instead. Considering how Steamtown went yesterday I do wonder whether I made the right decision, but I guess you live and learn…

Totally agree that you have to have the desire to train for a marathon. Glad you are enjoying where you are in your running life right now :)

4. Josie @ PeakFit October 10, 2011 at 6:47 pm #

Wow, this really hit home for me. I decided to DNS a local half marathon I signed up for that’s happening next weekend because I just felt overwhelmed by the training schedule & that I couldn’t finish the race the way I wanted to. It was a hard decision but I’m glad I did because I found out a couple of days later that I needed to have my gallbladder removed. I’d already made peace with my decision so it wasn’t as upsetting as it would’ve been. Instead of dwelling, I’m already planning my race calendar for 2012…bigger & better! :)

5. Jen October 10, 2011 at 6:50 pm #

I really did miss you this weekend, but you know you made the right decision. I’m looking forward to you visiting in a future October though!!

I have absolutely DNS’d a race. A couple big ones this year, in fact. It’s a tough call but it’s part of the game. Shake it off! And go enjoy your beautiful fall running!! :)

6. Jana October 10, 2011 at 7:05 pm #

My only DNS was Nike Women’s Marathon 2010. I was moving to the East Bay that weekend and I had to make a tough call; overwhelm myself or realize that there are almost more marathons in my future. I was a bit let-down come marathon day, but it didn’t last long and I don’t regret that decision.

7. Alyssa October 10, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

You definitely made the right choice & I’m happy your DNS day is over too! As for my DNS — does the NorCal Marathon + Half count as a big race? ;) I guess I can answer “no” to your question, hehe. :)

SEE YOU TOMORROWWWWWW!

8. Ingrid October 10, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

DNS indeed. It’s become something that I’m almost known for in my running group. And while it begs the question, “Didn’t you learn the first time…why is this a pattern?” Because…because…because, running can be grueling but joyful at the end. And when there’s no joy or life circumstances make it real clear that more important things will suffer if you keep training at the current…well, showing up the start line the next go around only becomes sweeter. Kudos on your wisdom in choosing to race Portland another year. So many opportunities are at hand! :)

9. Jess @ THIR October 10, 2011 at 11:25 pm #

I DNS’d my first half marathon on the 9th too.
    It just WASN’T meant to be.

I fell down the stairs Wednesday night and hurt my already injured (but I was hopeful almost healed!!) ankle…
    I fell off my bike Saturday, and then my Ex started causing problems which had me up all night the night before.

I will do it next year.
    I was definitely sad/disappointed/regretful that I did not start.

But I knew, that if I want to do my first half Ironman in 33 days… It was the right choice.

10. Denise October 11, 2011 at 5:14 am #

sounds like you did make the right choice!!! i know that feeling of missing out and it sucks when you’re missing out b/c you have no choice (due to injury, etc). but you had a choice and you made the right one! this will just make the next one that much better.

11. Morgan October 11, 2011 at 8:04 am #

I think having been able to make that choice yourself, rather than have it made for you by injury or other unfortunate circumstances makes it a whole lot easier to stomach. And it sounds like you made the right one! I’ve got 7 DNS’s under my belt so far, all due to injury, and after the first few it kinda stopped phasing me, I mean, there was nothing humanly possible I could do about it and going forward I don’t think I’ll ever let it bother me again because at least I’ll know that there will always be another race to run… when I can.

12. Angela @ MyPinkyToes October 11, 2011 at 8:53 am #

I think it’s great that you had the realization that when you feel envious of the big race days again then that’s when you know you’re ready to train for another marathon! So true!!!

13. Kelly October 11, 2011 at 9:43 am #

totally think you made the right decision! And early on too – because it’s awesome you’ve been loving your running lately and that’s what matters! I’ve DNS’d more marathons than I’ve run because of injuries – NYCM twice, Eugene earlier this year, Flying Pig… Yeah. It really bums me out, but definitely lights a fire to get to the next one. And be smarter about my training so I get fewer injuries… :)

14. emily October 11, 2011 at 10:32 am #

I have DNS’d several races. Judging by your attitude the last couple of months, I think you 100 percent made the right choice!

15. Holly October 11, 2011 at 11:25 am #

I have a string of them from 2010, but the biggest was my goal HIM (New Orleans 70.3)- I had done a warm up 70.3 in November but still had my eye on the prize of the April race. Having to DNS was tough and there were tears, but I was able to focus on other things for that year and now I’m back to training and racing and it’s better than before! :)

I’m actually currently contemplating foregoing my upcoming 70.3 in favor of switching to marathon training early. I’m jealous of my husband’s running right now and I just don’t have the fire in me for the 70.3 anymore. Decisions, decisions….

16. Shortskirts October 11, 2011 at 11:44 am #

So I DNS’d the Long Beach Half Marathon this weekend. I got injured and a really nasty flu which killed 3-4 weeks of peak training for it. I was still hoping to run it but then some personal drama, and our family dog getting cancer and losing him, plus another cold all in the week leading up to it made me cross it off my list.

I still went to Long Beach and hung out with my family. I was bummed I couldn’t race, but there are always more miles to run, and more races to enter.

17. Nelly October 11, 2011 at 12:51 pm #

It seems like you made the right decision with not doing Portland if that is how you were feeling on race day. Like you say ” I know when I get that envious feeling back again, then it will be time to train hard for another marathon.” Perfect way to put it! Like anything in life, you have to want to be out there, or else it really isn’t worth doing it.

During 2011 I will end up walking 1 race (Bay to Breakers), running zero, and DNS for 5 of them due to injury. So at least you consciously made the choice to not do the race instead of it being made for you due to injury.

18. Michaela October 11, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

I feel like this year has been the Year of the DNS for me. It started off in February when I sprained my ankle pretty badly and the Kaiser 13.1 became a DNS. And then most recently, I deferred NY — once again due to injury (tendonitis in my rec fem). I’m still really heartbroken thinking about it.

This weekend may be another DNS for me — I’m supposed to run the Healdsburg 13.1 on Sunday, but I know there’s no way in hell I can run a half. So I may DNS. Or I may start and run 7-8 miles and then have someone get me. Or I may just bike the course and cheer for friends.

19. Corey @ the runner's cookie October 11, 2011 at 4:55 pm #

Aron I think it really speaks to who you are as a runner that you’re able to be totally okay with your DNS and know that it wasn’t the right time for you. It probably would have been easier for you to be stubborn and just run another marathon for the wrong reasons, but you really thought about what would be best for you long term and made a rational choice. I can understand what you mean about being relieved that the day is over – now you can move on and focus on the Nike Women’s Half! Hope it’s lots of fun!

20. Caileigh October 11, 2011 at 5:45 pm #