Mission Peak

I have been trying to make the most of my few days off by doing things I wouldn’t typically do and seeing friends I don’t get to see that often.

Today I killed two birds with one stone and met up with my long lost friend JoLynn for my first hike up to Mission Peak!  It had been far too long since I had seen her last and I was so glad to get to spend a few hours chatting away and catching up.

One of the highlights of our hike was as soon as we started, we saw was a brand new baby cow who had just been born!  She could barely stand on her wobbly legs and her mom was very protective mooing at us behind the fence and taking care of her new baby.  It was such a sweet moment seeing the baby in it’s first few moments on earth.  We got to see the baby hours later when we were done, and she was standing and walking much better by that point.

Then we got to hiking.  We went up and around and up some more and finally we reached the top of Mission Peak!

Aug 079

The views of the Bay Area were so amazing from that high up.  It was a clear day too so we could see forever.

Aug 076 Aug 071 Aug 073 Aug 075

We took a much longer way down winding up and down through the hills.  We took one alternate route that ended up being covered in very prickly mean yellow flowers.  I was a good sport and only grunted a couple times (right JoLynn?), and by the end we were just laughing because they were everywhere!

Attack of the yellow flowers!
Aug 077

Aug 078

The temperature started heating up towards the end, but there was a pretty nice breeze most of the day keeping us cool.  It was such a fun morning and I always love getting to spend time with JoLynn!  I am sure my legs and butt will feel this hike tomorrow.

10 miles later we were back at the cars ready for lunch and I was apparently very ready for a shower.

Yikes.
Aug 097

, , ,

12 Responses to Mission Peak

1. Marlene September 1, 2011 at 6:56 pm #

Yikes, those flowers look vicious! :P

Those are some dirty legs – a sure sign of a fun run!

2. Jo Lynn September 1, 2011 at 9:53 pm #

Well, if you did grunt once, I didn’t hear it. You knew I didn’t think it was going to be that bad over there so you weren’t as mad as you could have been. You’re always a good sport with me. I’m not one of those lucky people you will whine to. Damn, your legs were gross! LOL
    Have a great weekend! <3

3. Rachel September 1, 2011 at 9:58 pm #

we have those flowers near the river here…they suck!

4. Nancy September 2, 2011 at 5:00 am #

Dirty legs show a good time!!! Beautiful view!!

5. katie September 2, 2011 at 7:20 am #

gorgeous! (the views, not your dirty legs :) )

6. Anamarie September 2, 2011 at 7:21 am #

I loved hiking Mission Peak growing up! Still one of my favorites to do with my dad when I’m home. :)

7. Carolina John September 2, 2011 at 7:48 am #

What a fun hike! That’s such a beautiful part of the country.

8. Kimra September 2, 2011 at 12:25 pm #

Love Mission Peak! I need to get back to hiking more again.

9. Page September 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

Awe – mission peak! I hiked that when I was little, but if you ever want to venture it again, LMK. Glad you had fun!

10. www.ur1.ca November 15, 2013 at 5:32 pm #

What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious know-how
    concerning unexpected emotions.

1. Where I Grew Up | runner's rambles - September 5, 2011

[...] morning I went for a short run and my legs were hurting.  That hike on Thursday really did a number on my legs, but I just kept the pace easy and enjoyed running [...]

2. September | runner's rambles - September 30, 2011

[...] September started I was in the middle of my funemployment and I hiked Mission Peak for the first [...]