Goals for the Off Season

Just because my off season came earlier than planned and just because it is my off season from marathons, doesn’t mean I don’t have goals to go with it.

As always writing my goals down for me to look back on is always a good way to keep myself accountable and help myself achieve them.

They might be simple and they might be obvious, but I have been thinking a lot about what I want to do with this time to make the most out of it and these are the things I have come up with that are important to me.

2011-07-01 08.31.44a2

Run

It may seem like a simple obvious goal, but just because it’s the off season doesn’t mean that I won’t be running!  I would like to keep my weekly mileage around 40 miles a week at the minimum (more if I am having a good week), while keeping a long run in the double digits whenever possible.  If I feel like running fast I will run fast sometimes, but most of all I just want to be running whatever I feel like for that day.

Aug6

Cross-train

This actually will be the most challenging thing for me, but I really want to incorporate some non-running activities into my weekly schedule.  Whether it’s spinning, cycling, TRXing (is that a verb?) or going to yoga (!!), I want to do at least 2 non-running activities a week.  The more I can fit in the better and I am set up very well for this with my new job, so there are no excuses.

713747-7021-0007s

Race

Just because I may not be in PR shape doesn’t mean I shouldn’t go out there and see what my legs have in them.  I want to get back into the spirit of racing, doing some for fun and doing some to push myself to my best for that day.  I don’t want to be afraid anymore.  I want to run some shorter races and different distances and just have fun enjoying the race atmosphere that I have lost this year.

IMG_2956

Get Dirty

With all of these goals, specifically the running and racing ones, I want to run a lot of trails.  I want to do more trail races and I want to get out on the trails twice a week or more if I can.  They make me happy, they keep my running interesting and it’s just something I really want to do.

5996192428_41c99bd107

Have Fun

The most important goal, I want to have fun with my running.  I want to run with friends, in fun places, and just truly enjoy the art of running.  I want to always want to go running and always have a smile on my face during.

Do you have an off season in your running plan?
Do you set goals during that time?

, , ,

20 Responses to Goals for the Off Season

1. Holly September 22, 2011 at 7:52 am #

because it’s so hot in TX my running off season is typically late spring until late fall. it’s just too hot to put in high mileage which stinks because i miss out on most fall marathons. the bonus is it allows me to reset and also to focus on triathlons during that time. my goals this year have been to actually hit the weights at least twice a week. while i haven’t managed that, i have managed once a week which is better than i was before. i’m also focusing more on core which i think will help my overall fitness and injury prevention.

enjoy the “downtime” :)

2. Celia September 22, 2011 at 7:59 am #

Great goals! I probably don’t take as much of an “off-season” as I should and there is not really enough time to have goals for it, but last year for a month or so when I took it easy I just tried to run a couple of times a week to keep my fitness from completely going away.

3. the dawn September 22, 2011 at 9:15 am #

i love all the goals that you set for the off season. i totally needed these kinds of goals over the last six months. it would have helped me tremendously. i also need to get busy making running friends here in my new digs. thanks for the inspiration!

4. Lynette September 22, 2011 at 11:39 am #

I LIKE it! I LIKE it ALL! Just what you need to be doing right now…during your “off” season…oh my how times have changed.

5. katie September 22, 2011 at 12:23 pm #

trail races = SUPER DUPER FUN. enjoy :)

6. Lisa September 22, 2011 at 12:41 pm #

those sound like great goals. i’m trying to cross-train more, have fun, etc. right now too.

7. Nelly September 22, 2011 at 4:29 pm #

Your offseason plans sound like a good one to me. You should do more of those college football spin Saturdays, or you could even do it on Sunday to pro football if you have a team you like, haha

Historically my running usually starts to taper down when it gets darker out, so I hit the gym more and do more cross training workouts.

8. Amanda September 22, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

After Portland one of my goals is to place 1st in my age group in a 5k before I turn 30 next June. Loftier would be to do it in a 10k, just have to find the right race for it. :) Also I just want to have some fun exploring trails around here.

9. courtney (pancakes and postcards) September 22, 2011 at 11:59 pm #

good goals aron!

my goals… hmm, well i told myself to decide by sunday if i am going to sign up for CIM or not. i kind of want to, but i have also been SO stressed out lately that it might make it worse. so as of sunday hopefully i have some goals either way. :)

10. MizFit September 23, 2011 at 3:39 am #

w
    e
    i
    g
    h
    t
    training!!!!

11. Page September 23, 2011 at 7:58 am #

Would it be selfish if I said one of your goals should be “hang out more with Page and Kristin?” Hahahaha :)

Love these goals!

12. marlene September 23, 2011 at 9:05 am #

I LOVE that all of this is geared around having fun and doing what you WANT to do. Live it up!!!!

13. runner26 September 23, 2011 at 9:08 am #

as usual, you have great goals ;)

i’d say mine is to swim more. now that i have a pool, i’m pysched about doing something that is easier on my joints and provides a great workout.

14. jamie @ cueyourlife September 23, 2011 at 9:39 am #

LOVE your goals! I think making goals this time of the year is SOOOO important. I just put up a goals page too… http://cueyourlife.com/2011goals/

Have a great weekend!

15. Carolina John September 23, 2011 at 9:50 am #

Sounds like it’s going to be a fun off season! Regular cycling and even swimming will help give you a real balanced attack the next time you try a run build for a big race. Get all the help you can from the bike now.

16. Kristen (inspiredbydooce) September 23, 2011 at 4:47 pm #

My last real race of the season (most likely) is Sunday- so I’ve been thinking about the off season as well. Goal number one will be to HAVE FUN. And do more yoga. My body hurts from the lack of yoga these past few months.

Your goals sound great and I think they may be very similar to mine. Minus the trail running- can’t do that in the winter here.

17. Naomi September 26, 2011 at 8:20 pm #

i love your off season goals! i took an intro class at the trx training center and it was awesome. if you’re ever interested in taking a class there, let me know!

1. Facing My Fears | runner's rambles - September 28, 2011

[...] of those fears out there for blog land to see.  Maybe that means I will start tackling them in my off season, and see if I can conquer some of these fears or in the least try them so I can say I at least gave [...]

2. September | runner's rambles - September 30, 2011

[...] set some goals for my off season and put a few of my fears out there to get conquered over this off [...]

3. In the Mood | runner's rambles - November 1, 2011

[...] of these races do align with my off season goals.  Both with trail running and with running short races without feeling the need to interpret [...]