Friday Favorites: Diablo Date Nights

Chris and I are both leading very busy lives right now and our schedules are often conflicted.  He has been avoiding running on roads for a while now since he is still battling a foot injury, but somewhere in the last month I talked him into running trails with me and it’s been so so great.  Not only do I want (and need) a trail running partner, but it gives us a chance to catch up in the middle of our busy lives, where we aren’t distracted by anything in the house and can just be out in the hills running and talking and exploring.

Plus the views aren’t bad either.

Sept 036

Monday night we headed out to the mountain the same way we went the first time, but we found a couple of new trails to run on.  It’s so nice having someone to run with so I am not second guessing everything and being nervous to run somewhere new.  We go off exploring different trails and if they don’t work out, we just turn around.

Lucky for us some definitely work out.

Sept 037

We just did a short 3+ mile run that night, but it was a perfect way to start the week.

Somehow our schedules aligned again for Thursday night and we were able to have a week of double Diablo date nights!  This time we started at a different park and tackled some different trails.  There were some tough super steep climbs and some fun single track.  We were back at the car 5 miles later just as the sun set.

Our view of Mt. Diablo on the way out
Sept 039

Our view on the way back as the sky was starting to get dark.
Sept 040

I am loving the freedom in my workout schedule right now.  It’s so nice to run just because I want to and to be able to work with Chris’s schedule too.  Nothing beats getting quality date time in while also getting in a good run.

What is your favorite part about this week?

***Don’t forget bay area runners that team lemon run club is hosting a weekend long run this Saturday (click link for details)!  We would love to see you there.

, ,

13 Responses to Friday Favorites: Diablo Date Nights

1. marlene September 16, 2011 at 6:37 am #

What a perfect way to spend some QT time together – looks beautiful out there, too.

2. Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef September 16, 2011 at 7:02 am #

aww, it’s always fun to find new places to run, especially with fun people. :) my husband and i run together alot and it’s the best.

3. Bonnie September 16, 2011 at 7:33 am #

I love your idea of those active date nights with Chris! I’m from Walnut Creek originally and seeing Mt. Diablo makes me so lonesome for home! Glad to see you are continuing to enjoy those runs. :D My favorite part about this week might just be a run, actually – a long almost-16 miler just for the sake of it (not training for anything). I loved it and felt so accomplished afterward! Have a great weekend.

4. Jo Lynn September 16, 2011 at 8:08 am #

Now, that is my idea of a perfect date. You’re one lucky girl. Don’t you just love that mountain? I get to do 13.1 miles on it tomorrow morning. :)

5. SkinnyRunner September 16, 2011 at 8:33 am #

this post makes me wish my husband ran! normally our date nights consist of eating.

6. Angela @ MyPinkyToes September 16, 2011 at 9:47 am #

Oh my goodness, those views are breathtaking!

7. Petra September 16, 2011 at 1:38 pm #

Lovely views! I’ve started running with Adam as well and it’s a wonderful way to connect and catch up. You sound so happy – it’s great.

8. Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs September 16, 2011 at 6:54 pm #

How gorgeous!! What a wonderful date :)

9. Susan - Nurse on the Run September 17, 2011 at 3:50 am #

How fun! What a great date! Being active, not dinner with the TV on in the background. Fabulous.

10. Kelsey September 18, 2011 at 6:41 am #

Looks amazing!

11. runner26 September 18, 2011 at 7:55 am #

beautiful pics!! i love running on scenic routes. and a great idea to make it a date ;)

my favorite part about this week was running for the first time with my baby in the Bob. It was seriously the best! can’t wait to do it again

1. Weekly Recap: Starting the Off Season | runner's rambles - September 18, 2011

[...] first of two date nights with Chris trail running!  We kept this run pretty short but it was so nice to be out [...]

2. American River 50: Week 17 | runner's rambles - April 2, 2012

[...] in and then going on an early afternoon trail run with Chris!  We used to run Mt. Diablo a lot together, but it’s been a while.  The streams were finally flowing with water and I got to get my [...]