Foodie Friday: Summer Night Quinoa

It has been a long time since I have done a Foodie Friday post!

It’s probably since I pretty much have been eating the same thing day in and day out and pretty much dislike cooking.  That’s fine, eating the same thing all the time works for me, but I was really excited when I whipped together a quinoa salad this week that I just had to share.

Aug 084

It all started when I was wandering around Fresh and Easy the other day and saw a container containing a Southwest Quinoa Salad.  It looked really good, but it was $4 for a tiny amount so I decided to just make one myself since I had extra time this week and it was so easy!

Aug 100 Aug 099

I got home, busted out my rice cooker, made some quinoa in it, then let it cool.  When cooking quinoa in the rice cooker, I use the brown rice setting and add double the amount of water compared to the amount of quinoa I am cooking.

Later I added chopped green onions, cilantro, tomato then rinsed and added corn and black beans.

I mixed everything together, topped the bowl off with some salsa verde, fresh avocado and some sea salt and it was delicious!

Aug 086

Even though summer is my least favorite season, I do try to take advantage of the warm summer nights we have by sitting in the back yard and enjoying my dinner.  This was the perfect summer dinner to accompany a cold beer, a good book (yes I finished Hunger Games and looooved it) and a warm summer night in the backyard in my opinion.

I even ate leftovers the next night and I never eat leftovers.

What is your favorite summer dish?

, , ,

15 Responses to Foodie Friday: Summer Night Quinoa

1. kristen September 2, 2011 at 9:36 am #

avacados make everything better! Yum. Loved the hunger games. Didn’t read the next two though. Excited for the movie too. I wish it came out sooner,

2. x-country2 September 2, 2011 at 9:54 am #

You just got pinterested to my food board! Thanks!

3. Nancy September 2, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

I agree with Kristen…put an avocado and it all is good! I’m going to have to try this one out!

4. Courtney September 2, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

i love qunioa like this, one of my favorite ways to eat is it Tal Ronnens recipe. its so good! i have the recipe on my other blog its so good and with tomatillos in season right now ..even better! http://www.cookingupafamily.com/home/2010/1/14/quinoa-avocado-and-sweet-potato-salad.html

5. Jesse N. September 2, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

Sounds delicious! I’ll have to try it sometime soon – we’ve got some avocado in the fridge waiting to be eaten.

6. Meredith September 2, 2011 at 3:00 pm #

Oh my word!! That looks amazing! Will have to try that!

7. Marlene September 2, 2011 at 6:49 pm #

I don’t think I’ve eaten quinoa since early spring! This looks tasty – thanks for the idea!!

I’m all about grilled veggie salads with chickpeas and feta this summer!

8. Rachel September 2, 2011 at 10:32 pm #

i made almost this exact same recipe recently!! i’m a big fan of grain salads…so easy and good for you!

9. Naomi September 3, 2011 at 6:30 am #

This looks so yum and I already have all the ingredients so I think I’ll need to give it a try!

10. Pamela September 3, 2011 at 8:05 am #

I love quinoa salad but haven’t tried it with fresh avocado. I will now, though. It looks inviting! My favorite summer food is grilled kabobs with summer veggies.
    *”Hunger Games” is an awesome trilogy. Katniss brings out the independent survivalist in us all! ;)

11. lindsay September 3, 2011 at 3:27 pm #

oooh! love this idea. been meaning to make a cold quinoa dish ALL summer and haven’t…

12. Alyssa September 3, 2011 at 10:05 pm #

Yummmm. This was not a good post to read at 10pm at night. I suddenly got very, very hungry.

13. Runner26 September 4, 2011 at 8:26 am #

Ive been doing a lot with quinoa this summer too. We grilled eggplant and peppers and added parsley and basil to the quinoa. It’s also good with chick peas, scallions and feta cheese. Basically anythings good with quinoa ;)

14. Page September 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

I got the exact cooker for my wedding and have been wondering how to make it in there. Thanks, Aron!

15. Elly September 5, 2011 at 12:24 am #

Hi, first time commenter :)
    I’m loving the quinoa salads too (although it’s only just starting to get warm here – I’m an Aussie :) ) – yours looks delicious! Can’t wait ’til peaches are in season though – grilled peaches are my favourite summertime dessert.
    Ah, The Hunger Games is on my to read list (which is waaaay too long already!). I’ve heard so many great things about it and I have the trilogy sitting there waiting!!) Just need to finish the Game of Thrones series first . . .