SFM Training: Week 12

Well we all know how the marathon turned out, but what happened in the week leading up to it?  I actually did taper a little and just did easy runs at the end of the week.  It coincided well with a busy work/life schedule so I used the taper to my advantage, BUT the busy work/life schedule definitely got in the way of my energy come Sunday.

Monday
rest

After an AMAZING but tiring weekend at Page’s wedding (which I still haven’t unpacked from), a rest day was definitely needed.  My legs were sore from all the dancing!

Pretty purple
215039_2252334949904_1294178028_32688012_6867556_n

Tuesday
7 GA

team lemon run club day!  I ran 2 miles before, then met up with the group for another 5.  Love these days as always.  I took my new pretty running shoes on their first run!  I always get new shoes a couple weeks before the marathon, but hadn’t had time in the last couple weeks (another head not in the game sign?).  I didn’t end up wearing these shoes for the race and wore the ones I had been training in.

7.0 miles/1:01:23/8:46 avg pace

Wednesday
8 GA

I met up with Kristin for an early morning run!  We told ourselves this was the last run that we could see with an 8 at the front of average pace.  The rest of the week needed to be easy!

8.0 miles/1:10:55/8:51 avg pace

NOT planned
sfm week

Thursday
6 easy

I really needed sleep Thursday morning so after work I met up with my friend I met through the SFM training program which I was so excited about since she was running her first marathon that weekend!  I ran 2 miles before, then 4 with her and we showed up completely matching.  These outfits were NOT planned and it was hilarious.  (Review to come on my new awesome Zensah tank!)

6.0 miles/55:30/9:15 avg pace

Friday
4 easy

Friday morning Kristin and I met up with Tara which was so fun and like old times!  We caught up on our lives and the miles flew by.

4.0 miles/39:01/9:45 avg pace

Ambassadors!
SFM 050

That night, after a long day at work, I drove into San Francisco for the Ambassador dinner, and this started the weekend that didn’t stop.

5996192428_41c99bd107

Saturday
2 easy

I was up early again and back in San Francisco for the lululemon shake out run with so many fun runners!  I didn’t wear my Garmin for this one so no pace, but it was easy!

2.0 miles

Then we had a blogger breakfast/social hour.

SFM 081

Then I worked the expo!  Busy day.

SFM 063

Sunday
26.2 long

DSC_2474

San Francisco Marathon!  Tough morning with a lot of lessons learned but I am happy with the results with everything that was going on that weekend.  I shouldn’t have expected anything more and other than being tired and a tiny bit sore, I am feeling good!  I have no regrets and am taking all the lessons I have learned and applying them to the future.  Sometimes a reality check is a necessary thing.

26.5 miles/4:06:57/9:18 avg pace

Totals for week 12: 53.5 miles

This week is all about playing the schedule by ear and seeing how I feel.  I want to make sure I am recovered from the extra long hilly training run I did before I jump into the core of Portland training so I don’t have another slump like after Big Sur.  I am so excited to have that race in my field of vision now!

10 weeks until PDX!

, ,

9 Responses to SFM Training: Week 12

1. Lisa Fine August 1, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

Great week of training, Aron!

What does GA stand for?

2. Bonnie August 1, 2011 at 12:53 pm #

Great work with not only handling the busyness and stress, but cranking out a solid “training” marathon, learning from it, and being proud of your efforts. I might add that it still sure seems fast to me! Awesome run. :) I’ve definitely heard of people running 1/2 marathons as training runs for a marathon, but never a “training marathon…” seems hard to me to run that distance but to be relaxed about it so I definitely understood your lessons learned from that race. Way to get #11 in the books! Have a great, restful week, and glad to hear you’re not too tired or sore!

3. Celia August 1, 2011 at 1:14 pm #

That Zensah tank looks awesome! Can’t wait to hear more details about it!

4. heather August 1, 2011 at 1:28 pm #

Hi! Haven’t commented here in a while, just wanted to say congrats on finishing the marathon – seems like you accomplished what you wanted in terms of your fitness for your goal marathon in a few weeks’ time (is it 10 weeks?) I admire your clear-headed, honest analysis of your training and the various factors that go into a race result, and how you apply it to your future training.

Happy recovery!

5. Michelle August 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

Wow, that looks like a seriously intense week. Hope you have a good recovery, make sure to relax a bit before getting crazy with training again.

PS – Thanks to you I bought myself a pair of Adrenalines and I swear I didn’t just pine for them because they are a gorgeous purple…

6. Monica C. August 1, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

Take this with a grain of salt since that 4:06 of yours (your PW) is 14 minutes faster than my PR, LOL – but judging from the week you had (both running and non-running wise), you were rightfully exhausted! Not only did you run every day except Monday of that week, but you were incredibly busy with your other activities!

I think you did a great job, and I think that by Portland you will be a well-rested and highly trained running machine!!

7. Nicole August 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

wahoo! nice week! keep up the great work!

8. Marlene August 1, 2011 at 5:10 pm #

It looks like you handled everything really well this week! Bummer to have a stressful few days at work the week of a big race, but what can ya do? Better now than before Portland!

I love randomly/unexpectedly matching run buddies. Half the time, the majority of my pace group will show up in the same colors on top & bottom.

Now to read all about SFM! :D

9. Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef August 1, 2011 at 5:34 pm #

i just got my new pair of purple adrenalines in the mail this week! yay! :)