PDX Training: 6 Weeks To Go

I am most definitely in a funk right now, there is no denying that.

I thought being  funemployed would help get me into a running routine or at least make me excited to run since I could go run new places and not have to be anywhere after.  Instead it has caused me to have the mentality that “I have all this free time, so I can just run later.”  Well later is hot and I hate hot so then I am cranky.

Needless to say I am giving myself a kick in the pants to get recharged and going.  I am going through the motions pretty well but I need to get a little spark.  I have 6 weeks left.

I can do this.

As you can see this week was a lot of shifting around of workouts and just doing what I could to get in some miles.  Let’s hope next week doesn’t see so many workouts with lines through them – I hate doing that!

Monday
rest

Tuesday
8 easy 6 easy

team lemon run club night!  As always Tuesday was a hotttt one.  It seems that Tuesdays, the day I am required to run in the evening, is always the hottest day of the week.  I had planned on doing 8 miles, but got 6 done.  I ran 3 before on my own, then 3 with Kristin and Sima.  I was happy to call it a night at 6.

6.0 miles/54:36/9:06 avg pace

Wednesday
12 ML 6 easy

My last day of work!  I woke up early and met Kristin for a morning run.  I planned on doing my medium long run and was going to add on after our run, but we were both just feeling generally BLEH for lack of a better word.  We were back at the start just under 6 miles and called it a morning.

I planned to either go home and finish my run, or do a double and run later in the day.  Well I went home and fell back asleep for an hour, and then Chris’s shift got cancelled so I we decided to celebrate my last day instead.

5.75 miles/51:32/8:58 avg pace

Thursday
9 tempo 11 ML

My first day off!  I ended up sleeping in longer than I wanted but finally got out the door while the air was still slightly cool.  It warmed up quick, especially out of the shade, but I just tried to enjoy myself and silence the mental meanies that have been coming out lately.  I was very happy to have 11 miles done.

11.0 miles/1:38:08/8:55 avg pace

Friday
4 easy 4 hike/trail run

Chris’s work schedule changed again so we had the day to ourselves!  I had a hard time pushing myself out the door for yet another around the neighborhood run, so we decided to go out to the Oakland hills to take Kylie and Emma for a hike/trail run.

Aug 052 Aug 061

This is one of my most favorite places to be, it’s so green and lush even in the middle of summer and I just love being there.  Being out there definitely made me miss trail running too, so I see adding more of that in the near future.  It’s definitely a great way to refresh the running soul.

Aug 048

Kylie and Emma had a blast and were WIPED out.  Emma is totally in her element trail running and was definitely showing off for Chris.  It was a great morning.

I am guessing we went around 4 miles.

Saturday
17 long

GR4a

The Giant Race long run!  I am still so happy with this day.  I love when things work out unexpectedly and turn into such a great run.

17.05 miles/2:33:34/9:00 avg pace

Sunday
5 easy 8 easy

I struggled getting out the door after a lazy morning and set out into a very warm afternoon.  After 2+ miles I was back inside and on the treadmill.  You know if you have been reading my blog for any amount of time that I hate the treadmill, and even though I have one in my house I hardly use it.  Well today it got used because I was desperate.

The one good thing is on easy days you can make sure the pace is easy!  I just plugged along and got 6 more miles done.

8.25 miles/1:17:08/9:21 avg pace

Total for the week: 52.1 miles

6 weeks to go!

I can do this.

, , , ,

13 Responses to PDX Training: 6 Weeks To Go

1. Lauren August 28, 2011 at 8:21 pm #

Great job getting through it all!!! I’ve totally been where your at, summers off aren’t always the blessing they would seem for my training schedules, that’s why I’ve had to put some schedule to my free time so I get it all done. If you want some company before lulu to suffer in the sun let me know, it is always easier with company!

2. Kristine @ Running on Hungry August 28, 2011 at 8:59 pm #

I had SO much fun running with you yesterday!! I have no doubt that you can own the next 6 weeks of training and run a great PDX Marathon! We definitely have to run again together soon!

3. Petra August 28, 2011 at 10:03 pm #

Hey Aron – long time no catchup from me – sorry – but I am SO impressed with how you’ve kept the hammer down since Boston (I certainly haven’t) so cut yourself some slack. You’re doing fine and it IS hard running when your day is unstructured – i find the same thing. Keep it up – 6 weeks is plenty long enough to find your mojo!

4. Jo Lynn August 28, 2011 at 10:07 pm #

Boy, that park in Oakland is gorgeous! How did you ever learn of it? ;)
    I hope Thursday works into your schedule.

5. meghan August 29, 2011 at 5:45 am #

You can totally do this!! I had the same problem this week in my half training. I ended up running a 5k race this Saturday instead of doing my 7 miles…I didn’t make it up on Sunday but took a rest day…I’m thinking of adding a few extra miles today…hmm…

I’m so glad you had fun on your Giant’s run. It looks like a great race! I’m such a sucker for the goods, so to get a bobble head would pretty much be enough reason for me to sign up. Ha!

6. marlene August 29, 2011 at 6:56 am #

Looks like the week turned out okay to me! I am right there with you… tired of having my mileage “stuck” in the lower 50s and just not able to break through. Blarg!

7. katie August 29, 2011 at 9:21 am #

you can totally do this. and hey, sounds like the long run was excellent and that’s what really counts. :)

8. Joanne August 29, 2011 at 12:53 pm #

I think we all get a little burned out as the marathon approaches. Training is such series of peaks and valleys. With all your training, you can afford two or three days off which might make you come back with a vengeance.
    Stay focused on how excited you are about Portland. You’ll do it.

9. Alisa August 29, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

Yes, you CAN do this! Think of those WWII posters of Rosie the Riveter!

I think you’re being entirely too hard on yourself you still ran over 50 MILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven’t even run 50 miles this month =)…it’s a big fat 0. You’re doing great. Maybe you should try a week of running the miles you feel like running and when you feel like running them. It’s low 60′s and cloudy/drizzly here today wanna trade spaces?

10. Marie @ Chocolate & Wine August 29, 2011 at 8:42 pm #

I know you feel like you are in a slump but you are still a HUGE inspiration, especially to newer runners like me. I decided to sign up for a 10K in 6 weeks and its partly because of all of the amazing running blogs I read, yours included! Your posts make me want to get out there and just run because I love it. I have lots of days where I just don’t feel like doing it but I try to remember how each run makes me better and maybe eventually, I’ll be running 2 marathons in a week like you!

xo Marie
    Chocolate & Wine

11. The Blonde August 29, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

I get tired of the same ol’ runs too. Need to change it up a bit sometimes. Especially when they are those “neighborhood” runs.

I wonder if your body is subconsciously telling you to back off a bit…? Not that you need to stop training, but just to give yourself a break. Listen to your body. You’ll get back into it in no time!

12. Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs August 30, 2011 at 8:40 am #

You CAN do it! It’s amazing what one run can do for your outlook on things though. I was in a serious funk 2 weeks ago — and even though I’m not running as much as you — the runs were KILLING me. I know you can turn this around. Maybe the next job will help??

13. Jess August 30, 2011 at 10:42 am #

I feel the same way when I have no strict schedule and lots of free time. I keep saying later, later and then it never happens because it’s “too hot”