One Chapter Closes

Although I am so excited about my upcoming career opportunities, closing a chapter in my life is always a bittersweet thing.

I have spent almost 4 years at my current job where I was challenged, frustrated, rewarded, and eventually promoted to a fancy title and my very first office with my own door.  Although it wasn’t my dream job/environment, I definitely will be taking away a lot of experiences and walking away a much different person from when I started.

May 692

When I first started this job I was not a runner.  I had been commuting to San Francisco, working insane hours as a CPA in public accounting and was desperate for a change.  I chose to leave public accounting, get into private industry and happened to accept a job that was 10 minutes from my house.  My world took a 180 degree flip and I loved it.

iPhone 684

The new job and minimal commute lead to extra time on my hands.  Only a month or 2 after starting this job is when I decided to take on the challenge of running a marathon and it’s also when I started this blog.

I became a runner here.  I became a blogger here.

The early days.
alameda

I ran 11 marathons while working here, I qualified for Boston and came to my desk here 2 days later, I ran the Boston Marathon during the middle of 1st quarter close and walked back in the doors a Boston Marathon finisher.  I know the running routes like the back of my hand and know exactly how far it is on foot from work to anywhere I might want to go.  I mastered the art of balancing marathon training and a full time job, and also the art of business casual for runners.

BC 01.05.11

I found my passions, figured out what is most important to me, and essentially did a lot of growing up and figuring out who I really am here.  It has opened some amazing doors and I am so excited to start a new chapter, but I will always be appreciative of what this closing chapter has brought to my life.  It’s definitely a place I will always remember.

184838_1855269103506_1294178028_32192341_1388881_n

Four years ago I was still a lost girl trying to find some fulfillment.  Four years later I know what I love, I know what I want to do and I am so excited for the chance to combine my worlds and get to do these things.  I get to take what I am good at (and yes actually like!) with accounting, but do it for a company, and in an environment, that fully embraces and stands for the things that are most important to me.

So as I say goodbye to my old job today and look forward to a new chapter in my life with excitement, hope and definitely some nerves (and new running routes!), I will always appreciate what the last four years have given me.

In the meantime I have a little vacation time to enjoy.

31 Responses to One Chapter Closes

1. Ann August 24, 2011 at 9:52 am #

Yay Aron! What a seminal 4 years it has been. It’s so nice to leave something behind with no regrets and lots of gratitude.

Enjoy your vacation!

2. Audrey August 24, 2011 at 9:53 am #

Good luck on your next adventure with Clif – I hope I don’t offend but your tweets at work often sounded like you weren’t the happiest/most content there so I hope you find your new home to be a much better fit! (I have a feeling it will be!)

And enjoy your well deserved break! :D

3. Megan @ On the Road Again August 24, 2011 at 9:59 am #

Good luck on your new career adventures! And definitely enjoy the break between “chapters”. I had a friend once tell me that the gap between jobs is “sexiest gap in all of history”. I’m not quite sure what that means, haha, but it IS nice to have a bit of a breather before embarking on your next journey!!

4. Nelly August 24, 2011 at 10:33 am #

Have fun on the vacation between jobs! That is exciting that you are going to Clif bar, that sounds like a great fit for you.

A agree with Megan above, take full advantage of the gap between jobs, maybe you can go on a trip somewhere!

5. katie August 24, 2011 at 10:37 am #

wow, what a great goodbye!

6. Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef August 24, 2011 at 11:12 am #

congrats on the new job…and enjoy your time off! :)

7. Cate August 24, 2011 at 11:23 am #

I am SO excited for you as you start your next job! Enjoy your break and good luck with everything!

8. marlene August 24, 2011 at 11:45 am #

This post gave me goosebumps a lil bit. Sooo happy for you!!!

9. Heather @ Dietitian on the Run August 24, 2011 at 11:56 am #

Bittersweet is the word of the day! So exciting to have something new and challenging to move yourself forward, but its always hard to leave things “behind”. :) Hope you have a great last day, and enjoy every minute of that vacation!!

10. Joanne August 24, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

So happy for you. Good luck.

11. Corey August 24, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

You are so lucky to have found what you are really good at and WANT to be doing as your career! There are people who work until retirement and never find that! And I am certainly one of those who is still (passively) looking! It will be fun to read about your journey in your new career! Congrats!

12. Shelly August 24, 2011 at 1:28 pm #

So happy that you sound so ready to embrace this change. Embracing change isn’t always something that comes easily. I hope our paths someday cross because I feel from reading your blog that you are a person worth knowing. I am so impressed what how you view your last four years of growth! I can only imagine the person you will become as you move forward. thanks for sharing bits of your journey with me!

Embrace the break before embraking on your next adventure.

13. RunToTheFinish August 24, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

yeahh!!!! congrats on everything! The new job, the knowing yourself, the great running life and more!

14. Becky @ cityrunnergirl August 24, 2011 at 1:56 pm #

aw! good luck! I hope one day I find my dream job too :)

15. Becky @ cityrunnergirl August 24, 2011 at 1:56 pm #

love clif bar too!

16. Fair Weather Runner August 24, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

congrats! enjoy that vacay and the new job. such an exciting time for you!

17. Holly August 24, 2011 at 2:26 pm #

Thrilled for you and your new opportunity! I love my job in private/corporate accounting and couldn’t fathom going back to the public sector- yuck! Enjoy the time off and I can’t wait to hear about the new job once you start! :) Congrats!!

18. jamie August 24, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

Have fun on your vacation! Enjoy that break! Very excited for you!

19. Jesse August 24, 2011 at 6:22 pm #

have a great vacation before your new job!

20. Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled August 24, 2011 at 6:34 pm #

Enjoy your time off and good luck with the new job. Sounds like a great opportunity. Congratulations!

21. Lisa Fine August 25, 2011 at 6:41 am #

Good luck with your new job, and this transition period. It sounds like you found a great fit, so I’m sure it will be a good move for you, your new company, and your past company.

22. Caroline August 25, 2011 at 9:31 am #

I totally understand what you mean about the bittersweetness of leaving. That’s so cool that all of that happened in the last 4 years at your old job and you have it documented on your blog. You’ve come a long way! Congrats!

23. Elise August 25, 2011 at 11:14 am #

enjoy the vacay! and i believe everything happens for a reason, and we would never be where we are today without what we did before — excited to see how this new chapter unfolds for you!

24. Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs August 25, 2011 at 11:26 am #

Good luck!! It’s amazing what can happen in 4 years right?? I hope you enjoy the vacation – and the new job!

25. Carolina John August 25, 2011 at 11:27 am #

Best of luck in your new adventure!

26. Kristen (inspiredbydooce) August 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm #

Even when it is time to go, leaving is hard. But all sorts of new adventures await!

27. Corey @ the runner's cookie August 25, 2011 at 6:53 pm #

This is obviously a huge and meaningful step for you, Aron! To be able to reflect on how much you grew and changed over the course of 4 years must be pretty moving to think about. Especially since that time not only involved your career, it brought you into the world of running and blogging. You have so much to offer your new employer, and I am so happy you’ve earned this great opportunity. Enjoy your vacation!!

28. Jill Will Run August 25, 2011 at 8:30 pm #

Good luck in the next chapter!

My husband has worked in public accounting for 6 years. I wish he had more time and opportunity to do stuff outside of work, to develop hobbies and take care of his physical/mental health better. Your writing about how changing jobs allowed you that is inspiring… maybe someday for him too!

29. Susan - Nurse on the Run August 25, 2011 at 11:04 pm #

Congrats again, Aron!! I am so excited to see this new chapter in your life…it sounds like an amazing opportunity that is right up your alley! (Do they need nurses??)

30. See Jane Run August 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm #

Beautiful post, Aron! We loved reading about how running has empowered you and wish you all the best in your new career!

1. PDX Training: 6 Weeks To Go | runner's rambles - August 28, 2011

[...] last day of work!  I woke up early and met Kristin for a morning run.  I planned on doing my medium long [...]