Like Riding a Bike

Last summer I got my pretty red road bike.

June 2010 004

I actually ended up spending quite a bit of time on it, but once I got heavy into marathon training, I just didn’t have the energy or desire to keep up with cycling too.

The last time I was on a road bike was in Maui, last September!  Chris and I rented road bikes on our vacation and went on my longest (and most beautiful) ride to date – 60 miles.

Maui 2010 072

For whatever reason, this summer I just haven’t been back on my bike.  I haven’t had much of a desire to ride and honestly was kind of afraid again.  I had gotten over a lot of fears with riding by early fall last year, and I just didn’t want to start back at the beginning again.

That is until I found out I have a fun ride to participate in at the end of September!   It was just the push I needed to get me back on my bike and what better day than today?

August 043

Chris and I woke up early and headed out into the quiet Sunday morning for my first ride in forever.  For some reason though, it felt like I had been on it just a month before.  I guess there really is something to the saying “like riding a bike” because that’s exactly how it went!

August 040

I remembered how to clip in and out, I remembered how to shift gears, I remembered how to stand up and climb hills… it all came back very easily!

We had to take some of the paved bike paths that I typically run on and hate riding on because they get so crowded, but we got to ride on some roads in the middle and pick up the pace a bit.  I felt great and had a lot of fun riding with Chris… he has always been a great teacher for me in cycling.  Plus our schedules are just kind of off lately, so it’s nice to be able to spend time with him while doing something fun like this!

August 045

Almost 30 miles later, we were back home, my legs felt great and I was smiling which is always a good sign.  I definitely will be back on it soon, it’s a fun way to mix in some exercise and break up my running schedule a bit.

And NO, I am not going to any “dark side” as someone likes to call it, so don’t even ask.

10 Responses to Like Riding a Bike

1. lauren alysse August 14, 2011 at 3:50 pm #

yay for a good ride! i’ve been meaning to try biking, but the process of buying a bike is so daunting!

2. Ana-Maria August 14, 2011 at 4:56 pm #

You will go to the dark side eventually, even if just to explore it a bit:) Awesome Aron, you look so happy!

3. Jaime August 14, 2011 at 6:03 pm #

30 miles! How did you do that on your first ride back? Congrats!

4. Alyssa August 14, 2011 at 6:38 pm #

YAY! I am so glad it all came back to you — and 30 miles, wow! Good thing you signed up for the 50 miler in a month, because you’d cream everyone on the 30 miler. :)

5. Marlene August 14, 2011 at 7:29 pm #

Hehehe, are you sure??

Nice ride! Love how you can jump on and just bust out 50 miles!

6. Carlee August 15, 2011 at 4:51 am #

Sounds like an awesome ride. I know what you mean about being a little scared to get back on. I’m not entirely comfortable on my bike (even though I don’t even clip in and out since it’s a hybrid) and every time I get on I have to get over a little bit of fear.

7. Bobbi McCormick August 15, 2011 at 7:36 am #

Isn’t biking wonderful??? I love it!

8. Denise August 15, 2011 at 8:03 am #

ha! just a matter of time, i know it!!!

9. Holly August 15, 2011 at 12:32 pm #

it is so NOT the dark side… :) it’s good cross training and a great way to keep up fitness when it’s 100+ for months on end. that’s my story and i’m sticking to it!

congrats on the ride- the first one back is always the hardest–especially the next day (ahem, my butt hates me).

10. Dina August 18, 2011 at 10:01 am #

I really want to get a bike but there is someone to research and the cost is prohibitive. I have been scouring Craigslist hoping to find a good deal but have not had any luck.